[ADwD Spoilers] Is Jon handsome?

jurble

Let me settle this haha

Huge Direwolf + Awesome facial scar + all black outfit + awesome Valyrian longsword + young and in a position of power= Very Attractive haha.

It doesn't even matter what he looks like, it's no surprise that Alys seems somewhat attracted to him.

I always imagined him as at least better-looking than he does in the show, lol (in the show he lacks his cold, cool character and confidence and is more like a scared whiny pushover), and never ever imagined him with curly hair. I pictured him as still boyish, a little bit girly but otherwise average-looking with a serious long Stark face, which is good enough to be a stand-out amongst the Night's Watch, who are all ugly as fuck xD I think Jon mostly gets his looks from a) his cool attitude b ) the fact he's a kid (forced to) acting like a man, which is really cool in a Hitsugaya-ish way. c) because he's always looking confident. He's certainly popular enough with the ladies (Ygritte, 'hold my arm' Melisandre and flirty Val) And no, I don't count Selyse as a 'lady'.

heh..., this thread is still alive! :D

I have a question about Jon's physique...There is Bran's comment about Robb being "fast and strong“ whereas Jon is "graceful and quick“. Jon, at 14, is disappointed that Joff is taller than him and Robb. I cannot remember that he has a spurt of growth later on but I have not made it to SOS in my reread, yet. At the moment I imagine him as a little bit taller than average but he does not stand out. Somehow there are a lot of people taller than him in my imagination (including Mellisandre). I cannot remember that he was ever referred to as skinny or lanky ...was he? He is described as lean but that is not exactly the same as skinny, it only means he is not buff (correct me if I am wrong, I am not a native speaker).

Anyway, people have complained about Loras being too skinny in the show because as a sword fighter he should have developed some muscles. Same goes for Jon imo, who seems to be pretty strong compared to the older NW boys even back in GoT.

From my own experience, I practiced Kendo (Japanese sword fighting) for about 6 months and even I got some visible muscles during that time.

I pictured him as still boyish, a little bit girly but otherwise average-looking with a serious long Stark face, which is good enough to be a stand-out amongst the Night's Watch, who are all ugly as fuck xD

Now you made Satin cry. :crying:

heh..., this thread is still alive! :D

Some things are too good to let stay buried!

Jon, at 14, is disappointed that Joff is taller than him and Robb. I cannot remember that he has a spurt of growth later on but I have not made it to SOS in my reread, yet. At the moment I imagine him as a little bit taller than average but he does not stand out. Somehow there are a lot of people taller than him in my imagination (including Mellisandre).

For what it's worth, Lannisters seem to be right up there among the tallest people in Westeros with the Cleganes and a few others. On the other hand I've got the impression that Targaryens (ahem) tend to be average or even a bit shorter, and slender.

And you're right, lean doesn't mean skinny. Jon's got to be pretty fit the way he lives.

Having a long face does not make you automatically unattractive. The Starks were attractive people long faces and all. Lysa Stark and Brandon were very attractive.people. Arya is described at one point as someone that could end up being very attractive. Ned is attractive. He might not be Brad Pitt handsome but he was most certainly above average looking for the time. Ned didn't help himself with his dour disposition. Ashara Dayne liked him he couldn't be that bad! If Jon looks like the Starks he is attractive.

Might as well have a go at this!

I reckon Jon has his version of handsome. Probably not stunningly gorgeous or anything, but with a long face, dark hair, grey eyes, wearing all black and no doubt very fit, he probably would have been pretty darn alright. Especially in comparison to many of the other men of the NW.

It is probably tricky to get a full impression of his physical appearance because he hadn't been women for a looong time (Added to the fact that the last time he was around girls, was when he was just a boy) and the women that were around either didn't have their own POV to give their opinion on the matter (Like Ygritte) or would've been considered too old to think of Jon that way (Like Mel). Then of course, I highly doubt the other men of the NW would care about the physical attractiveness of their comrades. Well, most of them at least.

It's easy for Catelyn, Sansa, Cersei, Tyrion, the two Jeynes, Robb, Brienne etc to have their physical appearance constantly talked about, since they are always in the public eye with love, marriage, judgement, first impressions, assumed gender roles, manipulation and the opposite sexes regulary mingling with each other. Jon is up north in a cold, isolated place away from all that.

Besides, perhaps it is done on purpose to leave his looks up to speculation - makes it more mysterious that way.

That is my guess anyway! Could be way off for all I know.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about Jon's physique...There is Bran's comment about Robb being "fast and strong“ whereas Jon is "graceful and quick“. Jon, at 14, is disappointed that Joff is taller than him and Robb. I cannot remember that he has a spurt of growth later on but I have not made it to SOS in my reread, yet. At the moment I imagine him as a little bit taller than average but he does not stand out.

I think Jon is shorter than average, actually. I read in Dance that a couple of Stannis's knights are taller than him, but they're not mentioned as being tall (I think one was Massey, but I might be wrong) so I think Jon is a few centimeters (1 or 2 inches) shorter than average. That banker guy has half a foot on him - that's 15 centimeters, isn't it? Either the guy is 1.95 m tall, or Jon is a little shorter than average - let's put it on 1.75 rather than 1.80.

The women that were around either didn't have their own POV to give their opinion on the matter (Like Ygritte) or would've been considered too old to think of Jon that way (Like Mel). Then of course, I highly doubt the other men of the NW would care about the physical attractiveness of their comrades. Well, most of them at least.

First, Melisandre is totally going to bang him. She was all like "Let's make shadowbabies together!" in Jon VI in Dance. "May I touch your....wolf?" Made me laugh for 10 minutes straight.

Second, there's some homosexual activity going on at the Wall, we just aren't well informed because Jon's gayradar is off. That Alyn? Alfy? guy cried out loud when he found out about his friend Garth's death.

I've always pictured Jon as being an attractive-but-not-otherworldly guy made more attractive by his non-physical attributes: his wolf, authority, martial skill, personality, etc. If Robb and Joffrey were the popular jock types in school who enjoyed female attention, Jon was the guy sitting in the back of the classroom oblivious to girls sneaking glances at him.

I don't think Jon's gaydar was off .. he did tell them to take the guy to his quarters and give him something to ease his grief ...I forget what. ( Oh dear , I'm just stepping on thinner and thinner ice ;) )..I mean, I forget if it was milk of the poppy or just a strong drink. I don't think that was a common practice.

( But wasn't he the guy who was later hanging with Marsh & Co.?..If so , if he weilded a knife, it was personal. )

Jon's aura of mystery enhances his looks , however good they are.

This thread made my day, LOLOLOL!

In the books, girls are swooning all over Jaime, Robb, Renly, Loras, Joffrey, etc., but only the wildling girls seem to find Jon particularly attractive. Considering that most of the wildling men are missing most of their teeth, missing random body parts, and haven't bathed for a year, the bar for attractiveness isn't exactly high. Jon probably looks decent and better than average (as would most highborn boys), but he's no hottie.

Hahaha.

This seems as good a thread as any to ask, why isn't there any gay activity at the Wall? Seems unrealistic considering that all-male situations like prisons and boarding schools are full of it.

Dolorous Edd crushing on Jon would have really spiced up that plotline...

Yeah I'm sure Satin would know. We need his POV! ASAP! Martin really needs to get on more primary gay characters' POV just to gauge how handsome the other male characters are. Yes, Martin, some of your readers are that shallow.

I think Jon is shorter than average, actually. I read in Dance that a couple of Stannis's knights are taller than him, but they're not mentioned as being tall (I think one was Massey, but I might be wrong) so I think Jon is a few centimeters (1 or 2 inches) shorter than average. That banker guy has half a foot on him - that's 15 centimeters, isn't it? Either the guy is 1.95 m tall, or Jon is a little shorter than average - let's put it on 1.75 rather than 1.80.

The Braavosi banker is mentioned as very tall by both Jon and Asha. In Asha's POV it's like his personal epithome. "the speaker (...) was very tall (...). A scarf concealed the tall man's features. (...) The tall man slid gracefully from his garron." (ADWD, p. 825f.)

Ned seems to have been of average height, his brother Brandon was said to have been tall. I don't remember that anyone mentioned Rhaegar's height. But he wouldn't be small, otherwise he wouldn't have been considered attractive. Height is a very important factor for attractiveness in men.

The Mountain was said to be more then 7 feet (2,13m) and closer to 8 (2,43m). Hodor was probably around 7 feet. Any man who is remarked on as tall repeatedly, might be smaller then these two, but probably not under 1,95m. Not that I'd consider either of them attractive. :D

Jon at 17 is probably not fully grown anyway. But I expect him to grow into at least average height. (around 6 feet or 1,80m for us Europeans :)) Afaik that's also what the author himself said on that topic. (don't know where, no expert on ssm)

Yeah I'm sure Satin would know. We need his POV! ASAP! Martin really needs to get on more primary gay characters' POV just to gauge how handsome the other male characters are. Yes, Martin, some of your readers are that shallow.

Hehe, why does everybody think that Satin's gay? I don't think there's any evidence to that. Yes, he had worked in a whorehouse, but I'm not convinced he liked it there. He certainly adapted rather fast to the harsh life at the wall.

We don't need gay characters to crush on the male characters. We could get girls. Unfortunately there's such a shortage of girls at the Wall. Mel isn't really interested in appearances, she's interested in power. Else how could she have got it on with Stannis? :D Still, even our POVs notice that Satin or that guy who went with Sam (Dareon?) are pretty which I am sure Jon is not. He seems to be too decisive and imposing to ever be described in such a way.

Archived