College Football 2011

S John

hah, nice Kal. USC and/or Notre Dame would be the Yankees of college football because we have more money. I presume that sponsorship money would be there for a while for the Alabama's and Oklahomas of the powers, but eventually that revenue would decline as I doubt college football would compete for really NFL money, and eventually ad dollars and donor money is going to run out. teams from wealthier states like Oregon or New Jersey would rise to the top and teams from bum fuck states like Alabama and Oklahoma would sink to the bottom. You'd have USC and Notre Dame competing with Texas every year in the high school draft in terms of how much money they openly bid on the country's top players and it would be no problem for these teams to put together a 50 million payroll annually.
And the thing is, you'd still occasionally lose out. Sure, those teams would be loaded, but they already are. the only difference is that you'd actually get an idea of how loaded they really are.

I'm still looking for flaws, honestly.

You can stop right there. Academics. The ACC presidents still do care about Academics...or at least the image of academics. Using the US News & World Report rankings (and yes, I know they're not the be-all-end-all of academic rankings), VT is tied for 69th in the country. That puts VT 10th in the ACC, with only FSU at 104 and NCST at 111 lower. WVU is #176 in those rankings. That's quite a drop off. Syracuse@55, Rutgers&Pitt@64, and UConn@69. There's just no comparison, academically. Now, if everything starts falling apart and the SEC steals a couple of ACC schools, and the B10 takes maybe Pitt and some of the other higher-ranked academic schools from the Big East, then maybe the ACC starts to look at WVU. But not currently.

You also have to realize that (unfortunately, IMO), the ACC is still run by the Tobacco Rd mafia...and basketball is still #1 in a lot of ACC oldtimer's minds. Despite WVUs recent success in basketball, they don't come close to matching the basketball pedigree of UConn and Syracuse. And basketball-wise, WVU is a wash with Pitt. Rutgers doesn't bring much athletically, but that academic card is still there. Syracuse and UConn also give BC (who is kind of the odd-man-out in the current ACC) some local rivalries. Rutgers helps bridge the gap between Md and those more northern schools.

Notre Dame, by the way is #19 on that academic ranking list. If they can't get over their impasse with the B10, I see the ACC making a hard charge for them (and this is also assuming that 4 "super conferences" finally make it quite clear to Notre Dame that independence is no longer an option).

Declaring that WVU is going to start selling beer at football games is a lousy way to market them to the ACC. What you call "passionate" comes across as drunken louts to a lot of other folk. Lose a game? Burn your town down. Win a big game? Burn your town down. And despite the ADs claims that selling beer AT the games should help decrease the public drunkenness...that's not the perception. And in this case, perception is reality. The blue bloods on Tobacco Rd. aren't going to be thrilled about adding that image to their old boys club.

Trust me...VT has been literally in the heart of ACC country for the ACC's entire existence...and had 50 years of snubs before 2004. We've been the only thing keeping ACC football on life support for the last 7 years. We still feel like outsiders...and will continue to for some time, I expect. Our basketball team has finished in the top 4 of the ACC the last 2 years...and has been excluded from the NCAAs...first time that's EVER happened to a team from the ACC. And the commissioner (a UNC grad) has barely shrugged his shoulders about it. The Wake Forest AD was on the NCAA selection committee last year, and reportedly lobbied for other schools instead of VT. If we're still that much of an outsider...do you think they'll really welcome WVU with open arms?

It seems expansion has calmed temporarily, but I'd been meaning to come back to this post for a while and hadn't had a chance yet, so here goes!

The only thing that appeals to me about ACC membership is a return of some old rivalries and because I think that WVU in the ACC makes the most sense geographically with Maryland, VT, and Virginia all relatively nearby. Additionally I like that it is possibly the best option available for bringing teams like Pitt and Syracuse along and preserving those games as well. Plus, I really see WVU as an up and coming basketball program and if we can't be in the Big East, the ACC is the next best thing.

That said, in terms of leadership and the general culture of the ACC - I hate it. I've dedicated a lot of time and energy in the past towards hating it and that will never completely go away. I'll never forget that it was the ACC who put WVU in this position to begin with - 8 years so far of not really knowing what the next year will bring, not knowing if you'll be in a viable conference in 6 months or in 5 years, or whatever. I also think that the ACC suffers from a B1G mentality where there is a lopsided focus on two teams except that with the ACC those two teams are primarily basketball schools and not football schools. As a direct result of that, it also suffers from a basketball first mentality, which is a major part of what has hurt the Big East over the past decade. In fact I'll bet that was a big selling point for VT, Miami, and BC when they jumped ship - that with those additions the ACC would become more football-friendly. But I don't think it has actually materialized that way. The people who control the conference are still more interested in Duke vs. UNC on the hardwood. I think that those forces will resist expansion in any form because the more voting members you've got in the conference, the more their influence is diluted.

However, I stand by my point that if expansion is in fact inevitable you'd be a dumbass to take a Rutgers over a West Virginia. You can dilute your influence and gain jack shit, or you can dilute it and at least improve your brand while you are at it. And WVU, athletically, would help improve the ACC's brand. You are talking about top 25 football and basketball squads that would be competitive immediately. That generates interest and revenue.

Here is how I view the academic situation: I have a bit of an outside perspective because I'm a native West Virginian, but not a WVU alum. So when people bash WVU academics in expansion chatter, I have no reason to be personally insulted by that. But still, as a sports fan, my reaction is always... um, so?

The way I interpret it - the big thing for WVU isn't that the quality of education is poor, its that its easy to get into WVU. That really hurts WVU's perception. It is not very exclusive. In my opinion, what needs to be taken into consideration is that WVU is the state-funded flagship University of one of the poorest states in the nation. As such, you're going to be working with a lot of kids who maybe did not get the kind of opportunities available elsewhere. That doesn't mean those kids are stupid, it means that they don't have access to 10 different types of AP classes and what-not that you might see in other parts of the country.

That being the case, WVU has every right to give the people of its own state a fair shake at getting a college degree. After all, its West Virginians who are funding the institution. If that means lowering the entrance requirements to a standard that is not palatable to the Duke's of the world, then so be it. The entrance standards are a direct result of being a publicly funded school in a poor and rural state, and not an invitation to take in all the rabble and let them party for 4 years as message board land likes to believe and as is the popular perception. It only takes a few minutes of research to discern the reason for WVU being the way it is academically, and I would hope that AD's and conference presidents would be smart enough to figure that one out. Realistically, it should not be held against WVU, especially when the driving force is not academics, but athletics.

All that said, I absolutely do not underestimate the snobbery of places like UNC, UVa, and Duke. I can deal with that, as long as everyone is also aware that while one hand of the tobacco road crew is busy snubbing WVU, the other hand is shooting itself in the foot. Nobody is asking UNC to adopt WVU's admissions standards. All anyone is asking is that you play ball with them regularly. Thats it. The academic argument, while certainly real, is fucking stupid, imo.

The academic argument, while certainly real, is fucking stupid, imo.

I'm going to paraphrase DeMarcus Cousins before playing Cornell in the NCAA tourney in 2010...

"Its a ballgame, not a spelling bee."

I've never understood the academic argument when discussing conference affiliation for athletic competition. Admitting WVU wouldn't preclude UNC and Duke from entering into new and groundbreaking research into a new brand of tobacco or whatever it is they research there. Nor would it lower their academic standing. It would however, bring in more money twice a year in basketball and once a year in football.

OMG I believe there is a new candidate for the ugliest trophy in sports:

The new Cy-Hawk Trophy the game between Iowa and Iowa State. :blink: :ack: :stunned:

So we all know this trophy is horrible. That is why it falls on us, as college football fans of colleges not named Iowa State or Iowa, to ensure that they get stuck with this stinker of a trophy. Right now Iowa and ISU fans are writing to their schools trying to get a different trophy made. A "classier" trophy. A "not so shitty" trophy. That means it falls on us to write twice as many letters to those same schools declaring how much we love it. For every one negative letter we need to make sure they receive 10 positive glowing letters. We all need to work together to make this happen.

I wouldn't laugh until you've seen what they come up with for the Iowa-Nebraska "hero" trophy, Ken.

Thankfully, they've announced that they're scrapping the new Cy-Hawk trophy. They just need to put bronze figures of Jack Trice and Nile Kinnick facing each other over a football on top and be done.

I wouldn't laugh until you've seen what they come up with for the Iowa-Nebraska "hero" trophy, Ken.

It's the "hero" game in the "legends" division. What makes you think the trophy will be anything but classy and humble?

Maryland revealed their new uniforms today and I am confused. Call me old fashioned, but when a school states that their official colors are red and white, I'd like their uniforms to reflect such.

Those are hideous. If Maryland had football fans, they'd be up in arms right now. Except for the fellas down in Dupont Circle.

They are scraping the Cy-Hawk,

JOHNSTON, Iowa -- The new trophy designed for the winner of the annual Iowa-Iowa State gridiron showdown was scrapped Tuesday as organizers acknowledged it had too much to do with corn and not nearly enough to do with football.

The Cy-Hawk Trophy was redesigned this year after complaints that the old one -- a simple bronze statue of a football and a player -- was a bit dated.

With the Iowa Corn Growers Association as the new sponsor of the series between Iowa State's Cyclones and Iowa's Hawkeyes, the new trophy was drawn up as a farm family huddled around a bushel of corn. The design was a nod to the state's deep agricultural roots and, of course, corn is a primary staple around here.

It was unveiled Friday at the state fair. And everyone pretty much hated it, likening it to a garage sale leftover or something from the Precious Moments catalog. Newspaper chats, Twitter and Facebook lit up with critics, and even former Iowa coach Hayden Fry and Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad weighed in against the new design.

Craig Floss, the CEO of the corn growers group, said the response showed the passion Iowa fans have for football.

"The overwhelming feedback has been negative," he said. "Because we've listened ... people want something different than what was proposed last week. And we as Iowa corn growers and the farmers we represent, we want people to be happy."

"Nobody liked it. I think the best comment I heard was, 'That's going to the losers, right?' " said Liz Ulin, a 23-year-old senior studying health science. She said she grew up in a tiny farming community south of Iowa City and knows many farm families, but the depiction on the trophy had nothing to do with football.

"I don't think people understood it," she said. "I don't think they made the connection between the farming and the football game ... And not everyone in Iowa is a farmer. They need something that incorporates both schools."

Those are hideous. If Maryland had football fans, they'd be up in arms right now. Except for the fellas down in Dupont Circle.

Agreed. Though I think the turtle shell helmet is actually pretty sweet.

IIRC, Maryland returns a lot of starters this year. I expect them to have a pretty decent team. Coaching change though, not sure they should have canned the Fridge. And not so sure that Edsall made the greatest move trading UConn for Maryland, either.

My thoughts as I prepare for the joy of football...

1. I would love to see Kentucky win 8 games, but I just don't see it this year. 2 easy wins just don't exist in the SEC. Texas A&M will learn that to their detriment if they are serious about joining the league.

2. I still hate Maryland's new uniforms.

3. After some thought, ultimately my take on the Miami situation is: Meh. There are Nevin Shapiros out there who could blow up any number of college programs. Other fans may want be careful not to gloat or get sanctimonious.

4. The NCAA seems intent on fixing small problems while ignoring big ones.

5. College football gets its nose bloodied a lot, but always comes back swinging.

6. In a couple of weeks, the air will become more crisp, the leaves will begin to fall and bands will play. Pigskins, ping pongs balls and beanbags will fly haphazardly across parking lots and front yards while enough beer spills on the ground that its scent lingers in the fall air all season long. Hundreds of young men will awake, stick a toothbrush in their mouths, and put on a baseball cap with their shirt, tie and khakis. Somehow, hundreds of perfect tens in tailored sundresses will accompany these boys to football games without complaint, cheer like crazy, drink like fish, and emerge hours later without so much as a hair out of place. Men will char every species of animal fit for human consumption and women will make their best tasting dishes to be enjoyed while standing on blacktop and juggling a plastic cup, paper plate and chicken wing. Kirk Herbstreit will become your house's most prevalent background sound as you take turns checking your watch, your casserole and Gameday.

7. Eventually, though, all of these things give way. Because as wonderful as the coeds, cocktails and chicken wings are, they pale in comparison to the game. In all of its electric, agile, violent, emotional and radiant glory, it is undiluted perfection.

8. And try as they might, the Nevin Shapiros of the world will do nothing to change that. Ever.

Anybody know anything about the fight down in LSU country? I only read the article on Deadspin and it sounds like a bad situation, with four football players beating the crap out of a marine and all.

I know that they went and talked to the sherriff's office and then left with no arrests made. In my experience, football players and bars don't mix.

There are some rumors that have witnesses stating they saw Jordan Jefferson kicking a downed guy. But no, no arrests were made yet. As someone else stated, I'm sure a big breakthrough will come in on this case...on September 5th.

No arrests made when Jordan Jefferson gangs up on a dude and kicks the shit out of him, but Randall Mackey (Ole Miss projected starting QB) takes a swing after being pushed down at a party by a drunk guy and gets arrested for disorderly conduct. Nutt's already suspended him for the first game against BYU. Fucking Oxford PD... :tantrum:

Coaching change though, not sure they should have canned the Fridge. And not so sure that Edsall made the greatest move trading UConn for Maryland, either.

As I recall, this was one of the weirder things that happened last season. Officially, the reason given for firing the Fridge was that while he was a good coach, he just wasn't bringing in the fans, they needed to treat this more like a business, hire a big name coach that people would come to see...and then they hire Randy Edsall? WTF? Not that I have anything against Edsall or doubt that he's a good coach, but I just can't imagine anyone saying, "Well, it wasn't worth bothering going to the Terps games before, but if RANDY EDSALL is the coach, I need to run out and buy my season tickets."

I bet there are a lot of ADs and coaches that cannot wait till the season starts ans all of these off the field issues go away for awhile. Several are scared that Yahoo might break a new story.

Especially Big 12 ADs. I'm really disappointed in how schools have reacted to Longhorn TV since they all knew that this was possible, yet noone ever bitched about it until it actually happened. Pretty silly if you ask me. Ultimately I'm personally feeling more anxious than relieved since it will all start back up again next year. I'd rather the shoe fell now so that we can get the ball rolling on whatever we need to do. I don't want to go to the Pac-10. I'd rather UT go independent than that. Hopefully we can lure BYU if A&M goes.

As I recall, this was one of the weirder things that happened last season. Officially, the reason given for firing the Fridge was that while he was a good coach, he just wasn't bringing in the fans, they needed to treat this more like a business, hire a big name coach that people would come to see...and then they hire Randy Edsall? WTF? Not that I have anything against Edsall or doubt that he's a good coach, but I just can't imagine anyone saying, "Well, it wasn't worth bothering going to the Terps games before, but if RANDY EDSALL is the coach, I need to run out and buy my season tickets."

Srsly. Edsall is a good coach. But, being a WVU fan, I know Edsall's style. He's a power run, I-formation kinda guy. Edsall's UConn teams were going to line up and run it right at ya. Not that I have a problem with that style, I like a good power running game - but yeah, if adding an exciting new coach was your goal.. maybe add a spread guy or something? Edsall's not super exciting. He's a good long-term all around solid kinda guy.... kinda like the Fridge.

I will say though that Edsall being at Maryland is one of the reasons I'm actually a little nervous about that game. Edsall knows WVU (though maybe not Holgorsen), Maryland returns a lot of dudes from a team that finished 9-4 last year, its Maryland's biggest OOC game and I know that they'd like to get even after we've pummeled them the last few meetings, its @ College Park, and its the week before WVU plays LSU so there's a risk of looking past the Terps.

I do think we'll beat them, but I wouldn't be shocked if this was our meltdown game of '11. Always seem to have one of those. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see WVU lose to Maryland and then turn around and upset LSU @ home the next week.

Archived