NPR contest for best SF/Fantasy

tybeechris

Very difficult decision.

Voted for: The Silmarillion (Tolkien), LOTR (Tolkien), The Book of the New Sun (Wolfe), Lord of Light (Zelazny), Gormenghast (Peake), The Anubis Gates (Powers), Sandman (Gaiman), I Am Legend (Matheson), Thomas Covenant (Donaldson), and ASOIAF.

Voted for:

Lord of the Rings

Silmarillion

ASOIAF

Farenheit 451

The Black Company

Malazan

The Road

Dune

I am Legend

Foundation

I would have chosen It by Steven King over Farenheit 451, but I didn't see it.

Did anyone else see Children of God and think of Child of God? Not knowing anything about the former, I got a kick out of that.

And likely only done because of this book :ohwell:

I absolutely loved this book when I read it for the first time last year (one of three of my picks that I read last year, along with Earth Abides and Flowers for Algernon); the prose was evocative, the story was charming, and it didn't feel dated in the slightest. Overall a magnificent book.

While much was different, I have pushed the Circus of Dr Lao on this board once or twice, and it was a circus that is "not quite what it seems" published in the 30's. I wonder if my opinion on the two would have been different if I had read Something Wicked Comes This Way before Dr Lao.

But I will never know now :dunno:

Voted for:

Lord of the Rings

Song of Ice and Fire

The Once and Future King

The Last Unicorn

The Silmarillion

The Lies of Locke Lamora

First Law Trilogy

Prince of Nothing

I didn't notice it on the list ( I mostly skimmed through ) but I really, really like The Last Unicorn. I read it and The Neverending Story practically every month for quite some time as a kid.

While much was different, I have pushed the Circus of Dr Lao on this board once or twice, and it was a circus that is "not quite what it seems" published in the 30's. I wonder if my opinion on the two would have been different if I had read Something Wicked Comes This Way before Dr Lao.

But I will never know now :dunno:

Cool, I've added that to my amazon wishlist, and will check it out at some point.

I almost vomited when I noticed that Vance didn't make it there once, but otherwise I had plenty fill in my ten, so I voted.

imlad, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was there.

Yeah, I saw it when I went back and looked. Wish I had noticed it the first time. Simply Amazing!

You know, I've never read any Vance. how would you describe his stuff, and where should I start?

It must have been the full edition. I remember getting the book and thinking it was pretty big.

Yeah Heinlein was a gloriously dirty old man. I remember reading I Will Fear No Evil and thinking. "Huh, in the future women will have perfect bodies and wear body paint instead of clothes...doesn't sound so bad."

One of the biggest additions in the uncut version, I believe, is a really long discussion about cannibalism between Jubal and Duke (I think it was Duke).

The Shannara books made the top 100???? :rolleyes: :thumbsdown: <_<

There's quite a few of those moments. I'm a Sanderson fan, but Way of Kings already in a top 100? Man.

Codex Alera? Really? The series where Butcher tried to be as kitsch at possible. Again good, fun books, but a top 100 fantasy book EVER?

Seems like Stephenson is a little over represented for my tastes... splitting the Bas-Lag (not counting them as a series) vote on Mieville was stupid.

/facepalm

18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss

71. The Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson

87. The Book Of The New Sun, by Gene Wolfe

That says it all really.

There's quite a few of those moments. I'm a Sanderson fan, but Way of Kings already in a top 100? Man.

Codex Alera? Really? The series where Butcher tried to be as kitsch at possible. Again good, fun books, but a top 100 fantasy book EVER?

Seems like Stephenson is a little over represented for my tastes... splitting the Bas-Lag (not counting them as a series) vote on Mieville was stupid.

LOL...I thought the same thing. Love them or hate them, it's obvious that lots of younger, internet savvy authors were able to marshal their troops for the poll...

I read 9 out of the top 10, 17 out of the top 20, and 52 out of the whole 100.

There are some that got on there because they're currently popular, and others that made it because they're perennial classics.

All in all, I like the list and agree with many of the choices included, if not their exact rating.

Archived