To pose a Bloodraven question

VivaVictarion2

Comes back to my "Captain Oates quotation"; he quietly went out there knowing he wasn't coming back, simply telling those who needed to know that it was time, that they shouldn't come looking for him but just pass the word to elect a new Lord Commander. And if anybody asked it was none of their damned business.

That wouldn´t be so out of ordinary up there in the North; we know during winter old men often say they are going to hunt, go out and never come back...

Seems to me we don't really know enough about what happened with Bloodraven to guess what happened to him, either in King's Landing or when he left the Wall. Seems to me, though, that he was Maynard Plumm in The Mystery Knight and showed there that he was loyal to the realm and doing his best under difficult circumstances. (I think he has an odd sense of humor and likes to play jokes as a crow, like pecking people and dumping on the Lord Commander from time to time).

However BR left the wall, we've no stories about it so probably no one thought much of it. He was an older man, after all.

Before he was at the wall. I had a theory. Since there were all these rumors Bloodraven ruled the realm through vile sorcery--Egg points out other strongly held beliefs like his Dad wants to kill his brother are slanderous baloney--I could see Maekar's supposed "imprisonment" of Bloodraven just being a ruse to get rid of that sordid slander.

After all, if Bloodraven could use a glamor, then he could easily pass about in disguise as needed. But I have no real facts to support that theory. Egg doesn't see Bloodraven as trying to obtain the throne. Bloodraven tells us in ADWD he loved one brother, who I think was Daeron whom he served as hand. I got the feeling Maekar was a lot like his great grandson Stannis Baratheon, who is quite competent but has a prickly personality.

There are two famous Targ valyrian swords missing: Blackfyre and Dark Sister. Also, 300 weirwood bows. I think all of them may turn up with Bloodraven or hidden by him at the wall.

Dark Sister was BR's sword. I think Bloodraven might have taken Blackfyre when he lost his eye at the Redfields battle. That would explain why the Blackfyres did not have the sword, even when Barristan slew the last pretender in the War of the Ninepenny Kings. If he had one or two of the swords, BR might have taken them to the wall.

Shiera Seastar as Quaithe? Maybe. She'd be a bit old for the job so my guess is probably not.

why do you guys keep saying BR might have been disguised as someone in TMK? An answer with quotes would be very much appreciated, because I also were surprised by his showing up, util the last paragraph, when he says the dwarves were his spies and stole the eggs for him

why do you guys keep saying BR might have been disguised as someone in TMK? An answer with quotes would be very much appreciated, because I also were surprised by his showing up, util the last paragraph, when he says the dwarves were his spies and stole the eggs for him

I thought he was ser Maynard Plumm. Or rather that ser Maynard Plumm was BR. I am not sure this is true, though...

• 4 months later...

Ask and ye shall receive!

The discussion about Bloodraven as Maynard Plumm begins on page 7. Enjoy! :)

Archived