DVD/Blu-Ray Boxset Details Revealed

Westeros

Amazon.de, the German arm of the retail giant, has provided fans the first glimpse of the packaging for HBO’s boxset of the first season of Game of Thrones, which will be available in the U.S. on March 20th in both DVD and Blu-ray editions.

91fFUVSSQPL._AA300_.jpg

It’s certainly a pretty handsome box-set, and it looks to be quite feature-filled. The best part is that the bonus features can be seen, and suffice it to say, there’s plenty. Here’s a run-down:read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Hope the DVD version looks just like that, and has most of the same special features. Not a fan of Blu-ray, though I do own a PS3. But I still prefer my DVD.

The DVD version looks the same, apart from the logos (and the ugly blue bar): http://www.amazon.de/Game-of-Thrones/dp/B0064MR9HA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322176108&sr=8-2

But why the hell would you prefer DVD when you have a BD player? I can't for the life of me watch SD content anymore without getting annoyed by the lack of quality and detail in the image. Also, lossless audio is quite nice.

Hope the DVD version looks just like that, and has most of the same special features. Not a fan of Blu-ray, though I do own a PS3. But I still prefer my DVD.

The DVD version looks the same, apart from the logos (and the ugly blue bar): http://www.amazon.de...22176108&sr=8-2

But why the hell would you prefer DVD when you have a BD player? I can't for the life of me watch SD content anymore without getting annoyed by the lack of quality and detail in the image. Also, lossless audio is quite nice.

My thoughts exactly. It's like saying you preferred VHS to DVD back in the day O_o

If you have anything bigger than a 32" HD TV then SD looks awful. Lossless audio is probably an underestimated feature of BR vs. DVD.

Anyway, drools at the extra content esp the Blu-ray exclusive stuff. I hope it releases globally at the same time as in the USA. Season 1 will be done here before the end of the year.

I hope those exclusive histories were penned by GRRM, or at least edited by him.

I don't know. My PS3 is hooked up to a TV that I use for my games, and I don't have a HD output for it. My HDTV is in my larger living space, and that's where I watch my movies. Guess I don't feel like lugging my PS3 to that TV, since where I have it now is like my "mancave".

And the DVD version does look better, since it has no Blu-Ray logo at the top. Kinda ruins the color scheme.

Ah. Games profit a lot from HD too. I remember playing Uncharted on my old SD tv and not being able to see the rope I was supposed to jump to. Also, a lot of games just look so beautiful you gotta see them in HD, so I do really recommend getting an HDTV for your 'mancave' (Most games don't go higher than 720p, so an older HDready tv would do the trick, too).

I do hate all the blue bars on BD boxes, and the blue cases though. They do that to make very clear to unknowing customers that it's NOT A DVD - and still some people manage to buy them, thinking it is. But it's damn ugly. I'm probably gonna store the slipcover for the Game of Thrones box somewhere in the back of a closet and just keep the slipcase, which doesn't seem to have any logos, on display.

I do hate all the blue bars on BD boxes, and the blue cases though. They do that to make very clear to unknowing customers that it's NOT A DVD - and still some people manage to buy them, thinking it is. But it's damn ugly. I'm probably gonna store the slipcover for the Game of Thrones box somewhere in the back of a closet and just keep the slipcase, which doesn't seem to have any logos, on display.

I agree on the blue bar on boxes, but I love the blue plastic cases more than the DVD white colouless

And the DVD version does look better, since it has no Blu-Ray logo at the top. Kinda ruins the color scheme.

Buy both, then throw away the DVDs and the Blu-ray cases, and keep the Blu-ray discs and the DVD cases. Best of both worlds. Just remember not to accidentally lend the Blu-rays to any friends who only have DVD players.

Buy both, then throw away the DVDs and the Blu-ray cases, and keep the Blu-ray discs and the DVD cases. Best of both worlds. Just remember not to accidentally lend the Blu-rays to any friends who only have DVD players.

The new picture of the box looks like it doesn't have the blue bar, but has this folded leaflet over it (much like the True Blood and Band of Brothers boxes). So I guess that's good news.

http://ewinsidetv.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/got_s1_bd_3d.jpg

The set looks great, but my only question is when it will be released in the UK. We have the US release date, but do we have our one yet? Unless its been announced already and I've just missed it.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long - the waiting times for an HBO set are already long enough as it is!

March 6, actually. :) EW revealed that recently. HBO doesn't care about the holiday profits, it seems -- they prefer to use their box sets as a way of building buzz for the forthcoming season. So presumably that buzz is worth more to them than whatever bump holiday sales give. DVDs/Blurays are a long-tail kind of thing, anyways, so I'm guessing the bump of a December release isn't necessarily going to be that signficant three, five, ten years out.

A long wait, I'm glad I still have the episodes recorded on my Sky plus box. I watched the last two episodes on my Mum's Sky HD and was wowed by the difference between HD and SD I may well buy a blue-ray player in time for the release.

I am really looking forward to this now, after hearing the 2 guys running the show say at Comic Con that there wasn't really any deleted scenes, cus almost everything made it into the show. I was kinda not looking forward to this on BluRay, after reading all the amazing special features this is a definite day one purchase for me.

Archived