Crackpot (or not) theories you think are so nuts, they actually piss you off.

LadyoftheNorth72

First I just want it to throw here but Dany does not have dragons. She can only control Drogon. Vyserion and Rhaegal will choose their own dragonrider and it won't be Dany who picks them out. So this X or Y character steals her dragon is not really true. Since they are not hers. Just like the kids aren't their parents. When they choose they partner it is their choice. It can be that whoever gets picked as the second or third dragonrider will support Dany but it can be that they won't. That alone does not make it a stealth. Victorion using the horn would be probably stealth though, since he wouldn't be choosen as the dragonrider in that case.

So here goes my picks:

The Nissa Nissa thing. I know it will probably happen someone will kill someone whom he/she truly loves and thus forges the sword.

Aegon turning to be evil and incompetent. I had it that all of Dany's enemies/opponents are mustache twirling villains with no redeming qualities. And a scenario where she gets to Westeros and finds out that there sits a compeletly incompetent and again EEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL and not to mention fake competition for her so that when she slays/burns him she can do it again without not much moral conflit and compeletly justified, just a big no to me. I want to see her realisation that just because someone does not think she should be on the Throne, or not supports her, or probably has a claim on the throne as welll that does not automaticly make them a bad person. I just think for Dany's character development and her story it would be more interesting if her opponents weren't so one-dimensional as so far. I want to see her struggle, realisations and finally learn, not to see the world in such a black and white way she sees right now(Targ, Dany loyalist = :thumbsup:, Usurper dogs, not supporting her :thumbsdown: ). But for that her opponents needs to be at least way more human (more conflict how to deal with them, defeat them) and smarter than the astapori/yunkai/meerenese maesters (seriously the way she got the Unsullied, the maesters were incredible stupid for falling for that. I could see it from right away what she will try to do when I read it, and I was thinking that the maesters cannot be so incredibly stupid that they don't think the Unsullied can be used against them and not have any back up insurance if someone would try to do it. But they were...... Again I want to see what Dany does against actually smart more grey opponenets. Her opponents so far were more like Disney villains. But I don't really have much hope. Her next opponents will probably be Euronor or Victarion, the Dothraki. They would deserve whatever they get, not much conflict again. And she probably wouldn't have to deal with Tommen/Myrcella because their fate/blood will be on Aegon's hands, again no conflict from that. Then she would have to deal with the evilzzombieapocalipse...how convinient that Dany only gets the Disney villains (if Aegon turns out to be one as well). It is so easy to know where to stand with opponents like that.... )

I just hope Aegon turns out to be a decent guy. A guy who was fed a lie in his whole life, I just think that if he were decent his story when he realises that what he thought in his whole life (he is Rhaegars son), is a lie, and he realises he doesn't even know who he is, and he was just supposed to be other peoples puppett could be so tragic and interesting.

Tyrion being a Targ, or becomming a king. After all the things he has done I sort of think he should just die.

Jon Snow becomming some superhuman superspecial superhero. Probably will happen. damn.

Howland Reed coming forth and he and Bran sais that Jon Snow is legitimate and the heir of the Throne, and everyone believes and sais, yeah that must be true, lets make him the king. I think way more people would doubt in that statement than in the Aegon is Rhaegar's son one. I am not talking about the fandom, I am talking about the people of westeros. One is presented by Rhaegars known friend, the other is two Srarkloyalsits, a kid who sais he saw it through a tree (yeah right....), and a swampguy who generally does not really get much respect.

Jaime killing Cersei. I just really really really really really really really really hope does not happen.

Shirreen getting burned by Stannis. I think she will be sacrificed but I just hope it will be done when he is still far away so he has no words in that. Maybe Mel and Sellys think he is dead so take over the rulership. :(

Sansa remaining tyrions wife, or ending up with some other abusive man.

First I just want it to throw here but Dany does not have dragons. She can only control Drogon. Vyserion and Rhaegal will choose their own dragonrider and it won't be Dany who picks them out. So this X or Y character steals her dragon is not really true. Since they are not hers. Just like the kids aren't their parents. When they choose they partner it is their choice. It can be that whoever gets picked as the second or third dragonrider will support Dany but it can be that they won't.

I agree actually. The theories I refer to are people who say that Dany doesn't deserve her dragons and therefore someone should try to steal them because Dany is useless/evil, etc. They were most dominant before adwd - so before Dany actually rode Drogon and before we knew about the 1 dragon 1 rider "rule". In fact, I wouldn't have minded had Quentyn bonded with Viserion and become his rider. I don't think Dany would have minded, either - in fact I think it would have changed her mind about him.

Also it seems pretty unlikely/silly that anyone is going to be approaching the Dragons (and succeeding) without at least acquiescence by Daenerys now that she has Drogon.

The Nissa Nissa thing. I know it will probably happen someone will kill someone whom he/she truly loves and thus forges the sword.

I'd rather it didn't happen, too. Just because the first AA did this, why does that mean that the new AA has to do it as well? It seems like i'ts just a story about AA, not a prophecy.

Aegon turning to be evil and incompetent. I had it that all of Dany's enemies/opponents are mustache twirling villains with no redeming qualities.

Lol, wow... I have never heard this theory and I agree it is bafflingly stupid. Although since Aegon is a teenager I wouldn't be expecting him to be some kind of genius/perfect/godlike ruler (we already know he is not, anymore than Robb, Jon or Dany are perfect leaders).

I do think there's a good possibility that either A.) Aegon and Dany will not actually be enemies and/or B.) Aegon will die before Dany can get to him. I'd lean towards A, TBH. Dany would be thrilled (not insulted) that she has a living relative, and her having to come to grips with not being "the heir/the last Targ" would be really interesting.

Shirreen getting burned by Stannis. I think she will be sacrificed but I just hope it will be done when he is still far away so he has no words in that. Maybe Mel and Sellys think he is dead so take over the rulership. :(

Oh my god I agree so much. This one really gets my blood boiling. Stannis would never burn his daughter, or willingly allow her to come to harm! :tantrum:

Maybe Stannis will kill Melisandre in revenge for Shireen's death and forge Lightbringer!!! (lol sorry just teasing I know that you hate Lightbringer theories as much as me).

I agree actually. The theories I refer to are people who say that Dany doesn't deserve her dragons and therefore someone should try to steal them because Dany is useless/evil, etc. They were most dominant before adwd - so before Dany actually rode Drogon and before we knew about the 1 dragon 1 rider "rule". In fact, I wouldn't have minded had Quentyn bonded with Viserion and become his rider. I don't think Dany would have minded, either - in fact I think it would have changed her mind about him.

Also it seems pretty unlikely/silly that anyone is going to be approaching the Dragons (and succeeding) without at least acquiescence by Daenerys now that she has Drogon.

I too would have liked if Quentyn bonded with Vyserion as well. I don't think someone should steal away Dany's dragons because she does not deserve them, as I said I don't really see them as hers to begin with. Shed definietly deserves Drogon since she bonded with him though.

Right now Dany is actually away with Drogon. I think the whole let the dragons out plot was so others can actually aproach them without Dany's aproval (like Victarion, or tyrion). But we will see.

Lol, wow... I have never heard this theory and I agree it is bafflingly stupid. Although since Aegon is a teenager I wouldn't be expecting him to be some kind of genius/perfect/godlike ruler (we already know he is not, anymore than Robb, Jon or Dany are perfect leaders).

I do think there's a good possibility that either A.) Aegon and Dany will not actually be enemies and/or B.) Aegon will die before Dany can get to him. I'd lean towards A, TBH. Dany would be thrilled (not insulted) that she has a living relative, and her having to come to grips with not being "the heir/the last Targ" would be really interesting.

I actually read it in other threads. And how he deserves to be fed to Dany's dragons because he dares to pretend to be Rhaegars son (which we know that is Jon so how dare he..., and lets forget that is what he heard his entire life, it is still his crime and deserves to die because of it )

But I would actually prefer A) as well. I don't think he will die before Dany though she sees him in her visions with the slayer of lies prophecy so she probably will encounter him.

I just hope when she hears about him from tyrion (everyone talks about the cywass table incident and forgets to mention that he wanted to save tyrion's life, and that is why Connington jumped after him, so that Aegon wouldn't risk his life. Not to mention tyrion is still the son of tywin (who's men killed his mother and his sister - as far as he knows. so I don't fault him for not being entirely correct with him)), he tells her positive things as well, that he went to Westeros to get the throne to her etc....

that Jaime is the hero and Bran is evil, thereby justifying Jaime throwing a seven year old boy out of a tower.

Do you hate all of it, or only the latter part? While I don't think the first one will end up being true, if one thought that the CotF are allied with the Others, then it could certainly become a possibility. Of course, even if Bran turned evil, and Jaime became a full-fledged hero, that doesn't justify the latter having shoved the former from the tower, it only makes the scene retrospectively ironic.

As for one a theory that, well, not pisses me off, but rather mildly annoys me, is the idea that dragons have affinity to Targaryen blood. It might be true, yes, but I don't understand why people take it for granted when all we have for it is the fact that they like Brown Ben Plumm (who apparently has Targ blood), but conversely, they only liked Quentyn as a snack, and he had Targ blood too. Additionally, Tyrion comments that Valyrian dragonlords used spells or horns to tame their own. Now, I might be missing some GRRM interview or something, but I really don't see enough evidence for this theory to have the support it does.

::shudder:: pairing of Jon with ANY of his siblings (and whether or not Ned is his father, they were raised as siblings and will think of each other as siblings) just squicks me the hell out.

I've actually heard a Jon Snow/ Arya pairing put forth on several occasions in all seriousness. Apparently, their friendly teasing and quips about sword fighting over all those years at winterfell were not typical sibling interactions, but the result of years of pent up sexual frustration and sublimated sexual attraction to each other. And I don't think I need to tell you what that conveniently phallic shaped sword that Jon "gave" to Arya on their last meeting really stood for, do I? :leer:

But in all seriousness, a few people have actually put forth this theory... and proceeded to defend it on the grounds that R+L=J, so therefore Jon and Arya were not, in fact, biological brother and sister, but merely cousins raised as brother and sister. Which, I suppose, is what makes all the difference in such situations :dunno:

At any rate, at least we can all rest assured that if a Sansa/ Jon and/ or Sansa/ Arya pairing does happen in the future, that Jon and his female sibs are only half siblings. It’s not as though he’d be sleeping with his full siblings. Cause that would be just plain wrong.

I think I can be helpful here (I can try). As I understand it, Ygritte proves that Jon has a thing for redheads, probably brought about by mommy issues with Catelyn. Sansa is a redhead (or close enough, anyway) and looks like Catelyn. Thus, Jon will work out his mommy issues by getting to have sex with his sister. I'm not exactly sure what Sansa gets out of this frightening scenario, but this is the rationale I've seen suggested on the Internet. Feel free to feel disturbed. I sure do!

I think it’s speaking a lot for the increasing creepiness of the Sansa/ LF situation when I say… I actually think I’d prefer this pairing to any sort of Sansa/ LF romantic encounter in the future.

Maybe Stannis will kill Melisandre in revenge for Shireen's death and forge Lightbringer!!! (lol sorry just teasing I know that you hate Lightbringer theories as much as me).

I don't see this as happening, because I don't think Mel is stupid enough to hurt Shireen. When she was furst intriduced, she seemed like she might be crazy-witch-lady, but the more we get to know her, especially after her ADWD POV, we see that she is actually very rational, very reasonable, and very practical. I think that she knows that if she hurt a hair on that girl's head, Stannis would skewer her! Unless that's what she wants, so he can forge Lightbringer in her heart!

I think I can be helpful here (I can try). As I understand it, Ygritte proves that Jon has a thing for redheads, probably brought about by mommy issues with Catelyn. Sansa is a redhead (or close enough, anyway) and looks like Catelyn. Thus, Jon will work out his mommy issues by getting to have sex with his sister.

I'm not exactly sure what Sansa gets out of this frightening scenario, but this is the rationale I've seen suggested on the Internet. Feel free to feel disturbed. I sure do!

I think people who said that were reaching. She has auburn hair so her hair is essentially brown with a reddish tint to it. That's not the same color hair as Ygritte.

EDIT: This isn't directed towards you but when Lindsay Lohan first started to ruin her hair she went auburn. It's not the same as her real red hair.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_85QtYxGboow/TPUfm9Vf0xI/AAAAAAAAACA/trex7I8sqLc/s1600/29lba0n.jpg

First I really hope not. Jon would be a much better ruler than Dany. Of course, things might change with time, but I'd really hate the idea of Dany being queen because Shez got Dragonzzzz and not because she's the best for the job.

Second Again, the reason why I like Dany and Jon is because I love messed up relationships. Dany is not Jon's type and Jon's probably not Dany's either, and this whole thing has the potential for being really interesting

Are there any weirwoods in Dorne?

I don't know that Dany isn't Jon's type. When he said the quality of Val that he liked he said:

"A warrior princess, he decided, not some willowy creature who sits up in a tower, brushing her hair and waiting for some knight to rescue her..."

"She looks lonely, Jon thought. Lonely, and lovely. Ygritte had been pretty in her own way, with her red hair kissed by fire, but it was her smile that made her face come alive. Val did not need to smile;she would have turned men's heads in any court in the wide world...Lonely and lovely and lethal, Jon Snow reflected, and I might have had her..."

Dany may not fight with a sword like Visenya Targaryen but she is a warrior like the original Rhaenys Targaryen imo. She may not fight with Dark Sister but Drogon does effectively make her lethal warrior queen.

Do you hate all of it, or only the latter part? While I don't think the first one will end up being true, if one thought that the CotF are allied with the Others, then it could certainly become a possibility. Of course, even if Bran turned evil, and Jaime became a full-fledged hero, that doesn't justify the latter having shoved the former from the tower, it only makes the scene retrospectively ironic.

I don't really like the whole idea behind Bran becoming evil and Jaime becoming the hero. Even if the Children of the Forest are in league with the Others (which I actually think is an interesting theory), I don't think Bran himself will become evil. And I certainly don't see Jaime ever becoming the hero of the story.

The bit about Jaime throwing Bran out of the window annoys me even more, of course, but it's not the reason I dislike the theory.

I don't know that Dany isn't Jon's type. When he said the quality of Val that he liked he said:

Dany may not fight with a sword like Visenya Targaryen but she is a warrior like the original Rhaenys Targaryen imo. She may not fight with Dark Sister but Drogon does effectively make her lethal warrior queen.

Indeed. In fact, throughout her entire stay in Meereen she is really unhappy about having been forced into being that princess in the tower role due to circumstances. She wants to be out amongst her people, on the ground, directing strategies. I think she's going to be that warrior Queen now that she's assumed control of Drogon, and is no longer required to be the good, gentle wife to Hizdahr.

Most of my favourite crackpot theories have been mentioned, but heres some others

The Varys theories are pretty fun: Varys is a Targ, Varys is a Blackfyre, Varys is the Great Other, Varys is a Faceless Man, Varys is from the future, Varys is a collective entity made up of several people, etc. It just goes on and on

Melissandre has some good ones too: Mel is Jon's mum, Mel is Ygritte, Mel is Rhillor, Mel is a Targ, Mel + redheads share a hive mind via Rhllor, Mel can use weirwood trees etc..

The 'everyone's pregnant theories' ( Jeyne Westerling, Jeyne Poole ( which would be horrific), Sansa, Brienne (??) etc) and of course, its close cousin, the 'swapped baby' theories. I honestly think this is what happens with too much time between books, lol

Also the illogical Dany-hate theories :

Dany will be eaten by her dragons, Dany is mad, Dany will fall in love with a rapist, Dany will be stabbed through the heart, Dany will have a huge PMS induced meltdown and murder everyone in sight etc. They' re pretty horrible

And the Jon/sibling ships - I have no idea where these come from

Tyrion being a Targ, or becomming a king. After all the things he has done I sort of think he should just die.

Amen to this.

Although the Shireen being burned theory COULD actually happen, IMO

Melissandre has some good ones too: Mel is Jon's mum, Mel is Ygritte, Mel is Rhillor, Mel is a Targ, Mel + redheads share a hive mind via Rhllor, Mel can use weirwood trees etc..

You forgot that Mel is a wildling. And also Lyanna.

I would put it this way, a certain portion of criticism against Dany is misogynistic.......The reason I said "Male Character X" is that I have seen many flavors of this theory tossed around and it has always been a male character who is mentioned (Euron, Victarion, Tyrion, Barristan(???), Jon, Stannis, Aegon)....The general feeling underlying both of these is that Dany doesn't "deserve" her dragons as much as Male Character X, so they should be taken away.

I don't think I've ever read anything like this, and I've been reading ASOIAF related forums for a while. Many critics against Dany are related to the fact that she's very emotional, but I don't think it's because she's female. And the reason why the only characters who are mentioned are males is because there isn't any femal character who could do this. The only people who are related to Dany and/or interested in her Dragons are males. I'm not trying to start a flame or anything, but IMO this whole misogyny thing is mostly your opinion.

Also, I do have seen a couple of stupid theories about Dany not deserving her dragons, but almost nobody believes that since she's the one who hatched the eggs. And after Dance, there's no need to worry about this :)

ETA: And I forgot about the Varys Blackfyre theory - I think I could believe to the Blackfyre conspiracy theory (although I can't see the point of it. It would be more redundant than Aegon himself is), but I DON'T see how varys could be a targ, and how could this work, story-wise

I don't think I've ever read anything like this, and I've been reading ASOIAF related forums for a while. Many critics against Dany are related to the fact that she's very emotional, but I don't think it's because she's female. And the reason why the only characters who are mentioned are males is because there isn't any femal character who could do this. The only people who are related to Dany and/or interested in her Dragons are males. I'm not trying to start a flame or anything, but IMO this whole misogyny thing is mostly your opinion. Also, I do have seen a couple of stupid theories about Dany not deserving her dragons, but almost nobody believes that since she's the one who hatched the eggs. And after Dance, there's no need to worry about this :)

I haven't really thought about this in- depth, but I do think MyDogisNamedDaenerys has a point - its clear that some of the Dany crackpot theories at least are rooted in misogyny; especially the ones about rapists being her type, and her having a 'hysteria' induced breakdown.

ETA: And I forgot about the Varys Blackfyre theory - I think I could believe to the Blackfyre conspiracy theory (although I can't see the point of it. It would be more redundant than Aegon himself is), but I DON'T see how varys could be a targ, and how could this work, story-wise

The whole 'Varys is a Targ' thing comes solely from the fact that his name sounds like a Targ name, lol And the fact that he seems 'pro -Targ', although its more likely that he' s just 'pro-stability'.

The 'everyone's pregnant theories' ( Jeyne Westerling, Jeyne Poole ( which would be horrific), Sansa, Brienne (??) etc) and of course, its close cousin, the 'swapped baby' theories. I honestly think this is what happens with too much time between books, lol

I agree, and would like to add the 'everyone is still alive' theories. A little of that goes a long way, and there is enough political intrigue, magic, and interesting interpersonal relationships going on aleady without the annoyance of having to doubt every identity and backstory we've been given so far.

To follow on with this, I really hate the idea of Ashara Dayne playing a crucial role in the overall story- either as Ned's mistress, Jon's mother, the mysterious Septa Lenore, etc. I have nothing against her personally, but I would much rather have her be a tragic example of the political landscape of Westeros, who lost her child and her life, than yet another person who is secretly alive and/or involved in a babyswap. I know there is a lot of support for this theory, but I just want the poor woman to rest in peace!

I don't think I've ever read anything like this, and I've been reading ASOIAF related forums for a while. Many critics against Dany are related to the fact that she's very emotional, but I don't think it's because she's female. And the reason why the only characters who are mentioned are males is because there isn't any femal character who could do this. The only people who are related to Dany and/or interested in her Dragons are males. I'm not trying to start a flame or anything, but IMO this whole misogyny thing is mostly your opinion.

Also, I do have seen a couple of stupid theories about Dany not deserving her dragons, but almost nobody believes that since she's the one who hatched the eggs. And after Dance, there's no need to worry about this :)

When I talk about misogynism, I don't mean that fans say "I hate Daenerys because she's a stupid woman". But it's quite clear that some of the hate aimed at her is because she's a female, and some people seem to hold male and female characters entirely differently. For example Daenerys is a slut for sleeping with Daario, whilst no one ever says anything about any of the males who go whoring. Likewise Victarion is a badass for killing his wife, whereas Dany is a stupid girl who was ruled by her emotions when she led to Drogo's death.

I won't even mention the "Dany should die in childbirth" theories.

I don't mean that fans say "I hate Daenerys because she's a stupid woman". But it's quite clear that some of the hate aimed at her is because she's a female, and some people seem to hold male and female characters entirely differently. For example Daenerys is a slut for sleeping with Daario, whilst no one ever says anything about any of the males who go whoring.

No. people say that Dany is utterly stupid for thinking with her hormones, nor that she's a slut. Most people have no problems with Dany being a sexually emancipated woman. The have issues with her mooning over Daario like... well, like AGOT!Sansa.

Likewise Victarion is a badass for killing his wife, whereas Dany is a stupid girl who was ruled by her emotions when she led to Drogo's death. I won't even mention the "Dany should die in childbirth" theories.

But those thories are a small minority, because they're nonsense. The same people who think Victarion is cool probably think that Roose Bolton is also cool, and thinking that Dany will die in childbirth doesn't have to imply misogyny, it's just a way like another to die. And this whole misogynism discussion started when MDIND said that the theories about somebody stealing Dany's dragons are misogynistic, which they're not. It's just that the only main characters interested in Dany's dragons are male

I haven't really thought about this in- depth, but I do think MyDogisNamedDaenerys has a point - its clear that some of the Dany crackpot theories at least are rooted in misogyny; especially the ones about rapists being her type, and her having a 'hysteria' induced breakdown.

oh, maybe i didn't make myself clear. The victarion theories are kinda misogynistic, yes. Although it could be argued that khal Drogo most definitively was a rapist, and I guess the same could be said about Daario. The problem is that deny never thinks about this, because she knows no man would ever try to rape HER. But IMo her idealized idea of Drogo is completely over the top. I hope it's not misogynistic to say that she has stockholm syndrome.

The whole 'Varys is a Targ' thing comes solely from the fact that his name sounds like a Targ name, lol And the fact that he seems 'pro -Targ', although its more likely that he' s just 'pro-stability'.

C'mon, he killed Kevan because he didn't want stability. He's pro whatever-he-likes

Also, Clementine reminded me of how much i HATE people saying that Dany and Drogo were a perfect couple. It's probably the ASOIAF-related theory I hate the most (which is kinda weird, because I'm not a Dany fan, although I used to be one when I read the first books and I really enjoy her earlier chapters)

It's like some people completely skipped Dany 3 in AGOT.

I've actually heard a Jon Snow/ Arya pairing put forth on several occasions in all seriousness. Apparently, their friendly teasing and quips about sword fighting over all those years at winterfell were not typical sibling interactions, but the result of years of pent up sexual frustration and sublimated sexual attraction to each other. And I don't think I need to tell you what that conveniently phallic shaped sword that Jon "gave" to Arya on their last meeting really stood for, do I? :leer:

I think it was also because people thought it was weird that he compared Ygritte to her and then proceeded to sleep with her.

"...She reminded him a little of his sister Arya, though Arya was younger and probably skinnier"....
"...Ygritte said stubbornly." Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya..."

She was the probably the only female that he was close to though so I think it's only a natural comparison.

I don't really like the whole idea behind Bran becoming evil and Jaime becoming the hero. Even if the Children of the Forest are in league with the Others (which I actually think is an interesting theory), I don't think Bran himself will become evil. And I certainly don't see Jaime ever becoming the hero of the story.

The bit about Jaime throwing Bran out of the window annoys me even more, of course, but it's not the reason I dislike the theory.

I forgot about this. Yes, this is annoying. Even if Bran were to be misled I'm not interested in Jaime being the hero.

Your post reminded me about another crackpot theory I hate: that Jaime is the hero and Bran is evil, thereby justifying Jaime throwing a seven year old boy out of a tower.

I guess it's just personal preference. I just completely agree with Dany's morals, her attitudes, etc. I'm not saying she'd be the best queen in the world - and I'm not saying she was fantastic in Meereen - but I do think that she's just what Westeros needs right now. And during Varys' speech to Kevan at the end of ADWD, I couldn't help but think he was describing Daenerys, not Aegon... But we're never going to agree. :P

He was definitely not describing Dany. As Dany wanders around in the desert she realizes that she has never done anything for herself. She has always had servants of some sort dressing her, bathing her, feeding her........Whereas, Aegon is self sufficient and Daenerys is not, at least not at this point in the game.

Archived