NFL 11 push to the playoffs

Howdyphillip

Rock, you're special.

Hmmmm ... Special, as in "Uniquely insightful" or "special" as in "Wears a helmet and rides a small-bus" special?

Rock, you picked 5/8 division leaders and 3/4 of the wild card teams. That's pretty good. I daresay that there are more than a few guys who make a living covering the NFL for places like the Worldwide Leader who managed less than you did.

AND I finished seventh out of 30 teams in our Pick'em league.

Who wants to touch me?

Is it just me, or has there been a lot less Jesus-based blather from Tebow since Jesus started favoring the other team in the last few weeks?

"Tim, what do you think's happened the last few weeks? Has the league finally figured you out?"

"First of all, I'd like to thank my lord and savior, Jesus Christ, for humbling me and testing my strength and for reminding me that there are things out there more important than football, and God for always having a plan for me..."

Yeah, I don't think we're going to see that press conference.

"Tim, what do you think's happened the last few weeks? Has the league finally figured you out?"

"First of all, I'd like to thank my lord and savior, Jesus Christ, for humbling me and testing my strength and for reminding me that there are things out there more important than football, and God for always having a plan for me..."

Yeah, I don't think we're going to see that press conference.

That's exactly what I want to see addressed. Well, Crusader Tim, you told teammates that God promised you a victory... Did God then tell you He was shutting you down for the last three games of the season?

In other schadenfreude, the Jets. Wow, the Jets. I guess not enough teams lost around the league down the stretch to let the Jets back into the playoffs this year. Santonio is pouting and quitting, Rex is crying, LaDainian is talking in very wounded tones about something again... Who could have seen this coming?!?

The last few weeks have been pretty awesome to be a Pats fan. I figure I have to enjoy this, because in two weeks I'm going to have to watch the Pats' defense take on a real playoff offense.

That's exactly what I want to see addressed. Well, Crusader Tim, you told teammates that God promised you a victory... Did God then tell you He was shutting you down for the last three games of the season?

But in the end, they made the playoffs anyway. God works in mysterious ways and all that. :rolleyes:

In other schadenfreude, the Jets. Wow, the Jets. I guess not enough teams lost around the league down the stretch to let the Jets back into the playoffs this year. Santonio is pouting and quitting, Rex is crying, LaDainian is talking in very wounded tones about something again... Who could have seen this coming?!?

"It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner," Tomlinson said. "You're a captain, guys looking at you. You've got to lead by example. You've got to play your tail off until the last play. And when that doesn't happen, you will have guys look at you in the way that captains shouldn't be looked at. You should always put yourself out there as a leader."

http://i192.photobuc...inson-bench.png

The last few weeks have been pretty awesome to be a Pats fan. I figure I have to enjoy this, because in two weeks I'm going to have to watch the Pats' defense take on a real playoff offense.

If both the home teams win somehow in the wild card round, you wouldn't have to take on a real playoff offense in two weeks after all. Though I'm sure you expect the Steelers to keep a lid on Tebow Time, just as I do.

Jesus, I just read over my preseason picks. Seahawks, Eagles, Vikings, Chargers, Colts were all involved. Maybe I just had a down football year in general. Fucking hell. (I still like the seahawks.)

Colts have fired basically everyone. Polians are gone. Long time coming I'd say. They've been about the worst organization in the NFL in a while for drafting talent. This year shows what the Colts had with Manning not around, which is basically nothing. They have no defense, their line is mediocre and their receivers only looked good because they had Peyton throwing to them. Makes me wonder how many rings Manning might have had with a competent head office.

Exactly. They will take the underdog role despite being the 2 seed. I think this is setting up nicely for the Niners. There's no way NO gets by Detroit, the Niners on the road and then Green Bay on the road. That's not going to happen. So why not just lose in the 2nd round?

Seeing as pretty much any team other than Green Bay has to be considered an underdog right now, I don't know that that makes San Francisco that much more special... :P

However, pretty much any of the six teams in the NFC are going to make for some interesting playoffs. Detroit at New Orleans should be explosive. Whoever wins that and goes to San Francisco will make for an incredible game. New York/Atlanta is a pick 'em that will result in a lot of fun watching the Packers then stomp the winner. That Green Bay is (most likely because this is football and we can't assume anything right?) will face either the 49ers, Lions or Saints in the Championship is the best of all worlds.

Seeing as pretty much any team other than Green Bay has to be considered an underdog right now, I don't know that that makes San Francisco that much more special... :P

I'd say their defense sets them apart somewhat. Outside of Baltimore, I'd say they've got the best defense of all the remaining teams. That being said, this does seem to be the year of the QB. <_<

First, Pats make the playoffs.

Then, Jets completely and totally implode with Ryan crying, Holmes getting benched, Revis running away, and Bryan flipping off the media.

And now. Polian and Polian are fired for disgracing professional football, for not having an adequate Plan B, and turning the gold-standard Colts organization into a joke...

... Exactly like I said they had done BACK IN NOVEMBER! I said (see the NFL thread #5- around November) wherein I SPECIFICALLY called the Colts a woeful organization. I said the Colts had a terrible head coach, a bad offensive coordinator (they did fire the D coordinator), and no Plan B at QB; that their 2-14 performance was disgraceful and showed far wider problems than just "Well, Manning got hurt, so they lost a little?!" And how Curtis Painter was not the answer (YES! Got that in there!)!

Seriously? Why do people keep doubting me? I saw this coming. After week SEVEN!!!!

This is the greatest day of football since Tim Tebow was discovered in that male brothel (still to come).

Black Monday is always interesting. I figured St. Louis and Tampa would fire their coaches. I'm actually a little shocked by the Indy news but Polian really screwed the pooch not just with awful drafts but his whole handling of Painter and Kerry Collins.

Curious to see what happens in San Diego and AJ Smith. I'd like to see my beloved (sigh) Cowboys bring in Norv Turner or Tony Sporano to help out Garrett. I think Sporano would be the most likely since he worked with Garrett in 2007 which was Dallas 13-3 team. He designed the run plays which Dallas used very effectively to choke the life out of teams in the 4th quarter that year.

Maybe that bring in Mike Nolan from Miami as well. I've rather soured on Rob Ryan and his shit-talking/can't back it up persona. Dallas is not the Jets, they don't have the secondary to blitz, blitz, blitz. Time and time again they got burned when he brought the house.

eta: typos

During the pre-show for the night game last night, one of the segments was Dungy and Harrison breaking down why the Chiefs were able to completely shut down Tebow. Tight man and two outside linebackers that can actually hold the contain. And we saw the result in the final score. Three points? Yikes. I had a feeling all along - and have maintained in this thread, as have most of us - that when Tebow got stopped he would get stopped hard. The only surprise to me is that it took this long for the game to come along where he was finally shown to be completely outgunned.

And they only got the 3 points they did because the Chiefs muffed a punt and the Broncos recovered on the 20 yard line.

Agree with what you're saying and just wanna note the other big difference was the Chiefs didn't change their defense in the final five minutes of the game. No soft prevent like the Bears and the Jets - how idiotic do those change in schemes look in retrospect? They were gonna force Tebow to beat that tight man to man and he couldn't. It wasn't even close. It was also interesting to me how often the Broncos went with max protect type schemes which signifies to me concern over how long it takes Tebow to actually throw the ball and moreso how long it takes him to make a decision. Never seen a guy getting 7 seconds in the pocket so often just to throw a bad incompletion. Just when it looks like he's getting steadily better, you realize he still has no concept of what "open" in the NFL looks like (hint: it's not a receiver running 5 yards free from any coverage).

Anyway even beyond this collapse down the stretch, it is now clear Tebow's "impressive" wins over teams like the Jets, Chargers and Bears were really just wins over mediocre .500 teams, all with an uncanny knack for blowing games.. Infact, the Broncos most impressive win and the only time they beat an actual playoff team was against Cincinnati...when Orton was still the QB.

Archived