Who is ser Robert Strong gonna face in the trial?

Revan Baratheon

I think since plot wise I think the Champion for the Faith has to lose I am leaning towards Lancel.I think Strong will die by Sandor's hand, just not at trial. If Strong loses then Tommen is toppled and KL goes entirely into chaos. I think Lancel fights with a "special sword" that can and does hurt Strong, and fights honorably, valiantly, and well but he dies. In the process he shows how Strong can be defeated later.

I'm going out on a limb here. Robert is going to face himself. By which I mean that during the battle Robert will be de-helmeted and the crowd will gasp when they see whose head he wears and they'll be shouting out the name. Robert will hear and slowly realize who he is too. This will precipitate some kind of breakdown as he comes to terms with it all. The opponent may take advantage.

I think since plot wise I think the Champion for the Faith has to lose I am leaning towards Lancel.I think Strong will die by Sandor's hand, just not at trial. If Strong loses then Tommen is toppled and KL goes entirely into chaos. I think Lancel fights with a "special sword" that can and does hurt Strong, and fights honorably, valiantly, and well but he dies. In the process he shows how Strong can be defeated later.

I think we're being led to believe that Robert Strong will win, but I think somebody is going to throw a wrench into Cersei's plans. I see a situation where some surprise challenger defeats Robert Strong, Tommen is thrown down, and the kingdom does collapse. This leaves an opening for Aegon to come in and take over temporarily, until everyone realizes he's a fake.

Afterall Cersei might be best advised to try and make use of teh confusion following on from the murders of kevan and pycelle to flee with King Tommen to the relative safety of casterly rock.

What Cersei would be best advised to do and what Cersei actually will do are two different things.

Okay sorry for the stupid questions....

If Strong loses why would that topple Tommen? And also I think someone said Robert will realize who he is, but doesn't he know who he is, or did he somehow forget?

Sorry I really need to re-read.

Okay sorry for the stupid questions....

If Strong loses why would that topple Tommen? And also I think someone said Robert will realize who he is, but doesn't he know who he is, or did he somehow forget?

Sorry I really need to re-read.

If the trial outcome leads to Cersei being proclaimed guilty of the numerous charges against her, the High Septon will argue that Tommen is not Robert's legitimate heir due to Cersei's incest. It will also be believed that Cersei committed other treasons by creating a scheme to kill Robert. It may even be argued that she encouraged Joffrey to execute Eddard Stark.

Normally this would lead to Stannis being declared the legitimate sovereign of Westeros. However, the High Septon will not accept anyone that follows a religion other than that of the Seven on the throne. Thus he may declare Aegon or someone else the rightful ruler. The incest charge basically ensures that Tommen will be considered a usurper if the trial goes against Cersei.

Well I'm assuming Qyburn's just learning how to resurrect folks, so Robert may be more of a zombie automoton, whereas when Thoros raised the dead they were more self-aware. And if Robert loses, remember that means Cercei is guilty of her crimes, and one of the accusations is that her kids aren't Baratheons at all, but were fathered by Jaime, and thus Tommen isn't king and would have to go.

However, the High Septon will not accept anyone that follows a religion other than that of the Seven on the throne. Thus he may declare Aegon or someone else the rightful ruler.

Hey that'd be a nice way to speed up the Aegon process, if instead of having to fight for every outhouse he was instead found by the Faith and ushered to King's Landing to be coronated with their blessing!

If the trial outcome leads to Cersei being proclaimed guilty of the numerous charges against her, the High Septon will argue that Tommen is not Robert's legitimate heir due to Cersei's incest. It will also be believed that Cersei committed other treasons by creating a scheme to kill Robert. It may even be argued that she encouraged Joffrey to execute Eddard Stark. Normally this would lead to Stannis being declared the legitimate sovereign of Westeros. However, the High Septon will not accept anyone that follows a religion other than that of the Seven on the throne. Thus he may declare Aegon or someone else the rightful ruler. The incest charge basically ensures that Tommen will be considered a usurper if the trial goes against Cersei.

Right, of course! I should have realized that. Thank you!

The fact that Cersei committed incest with Jaime doesn't prove that Tommen isn't Robert's son, so I don't think Cersei losing the trial would automatically topple Tommen. It would certainly gravely weaken his claim.

The fact that Cersei committed incest with Jaime doesn't prove that Tommen isn't Robert's son, so I don't think Cersei losing the trial would automatically topple Tommen. It would certainly gravely weaken his claim.

Kevan says it straight up. If Cersei loses, then Tommen is no longer King and Margeary is no longer Queen. the Tyrells had no come back from this whatsoever.

If Cersei loses and Tommen just hangs on to his Kinghood anyway it would be a big cop out. We've been waiting for this trail for two books now, it needs to matter.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Ser Bonifer Hasty? He's pious and was a great knight in his youth. He's old, but Barristan is of the same generation. And he's certainly a better prospect than Lancel.

The relevant charge from the High Septon isn't she committed incest with Jaime, it's that Jaime fathered all her children, which is treason.

So if she loses the trial by combat, the faith will take it to be true that Jaime fathered her children.

There would be a nice irony in Kevin having the Epilogue and Lancel having the Prologue. Also Lancel's pious zeal has been building up since ASOS and it would be a good ending arc for his character. It could be one of the Kettlebacks, but I suspect it will be Lancel as I am hoping TWOW sees House Lannister vastly reduced in numbers (Prayers go to Daven's Wedding being in Riverrun, with lots of family....and Uncat + the BWB).

I can't remember his name, but there is a knight who is top-dog in one of the religious fighting groups in KL who stood out for me. Considering that Cersei is being tried by the faith, it would be the faith's champion who'd fight Robert and, in King's Landing, it's that guy. You see him before this, but he's in the walk of shame chapter.

His name is 'Ser Theodan the True'.

• 3 weeks later...

Its widely beleived that Robert Strong is a frankenstein-like creature created by Qyburn using some or most of Gregor's body parts

Really. I thought he was Brienne, which is why he didn't want to speak, then everyone would know Ser Robert is a girl. I am so hoping this meant that Brienne isn't dead, and Jaime sent her to defend Cersei as his last request to Lady Stoneheart. I guess I couldn't imagine a Frankenstein type creature being skilled with the sword. Does Qyburn have that kind of power? I mean the Mountain was a total mess when he died. But then again, I couldn't see Lady Stoneheart giving in to Jaime's request. I am so intrigue by this. Is there a thread with this discussion. I have to look it up!

I really want Sandor to be the one who kills Gregor (or what's left of him) but with him being a monk now, and with the limp... I don't know. If Sandor's arc is ended, I could live with that, he had a satisfying ending, letting go of his anger and trying to become a better person. But I just don't want to let him go. I want him to have his closure with Gregor, and maybe play another part in Sansa's story.

He's just my favourite character.

I don't see Lancel being the one though. He's a wisp of a man.

Archived