NFL Playoffs

Trebla

Yes yes, Sivin, your analogies are all very apt. The Patriots have a lot of pressure on them and Tom Brady just doesn't look like he's having fun out there. Tim Tebow looks like he's having a lot of fun (I imagine it's fun to sail passes over the heads of wide open receivers) and the Broncos are all looser and thus the team that wants it, not the team that needs it, is going to have more success because of some pseudological hogwash and over-narrativized theories of football that you've inculcated in yourself from your years of thinking you're the fan of six different teams.

You've made yet another incredibly perceptive observation about the NFL. Have a fucking cookie, and have fun with it!

I propose a sig bet on this weekend's Pats-Broncos game. Loser keeps a sig of the winner's choice until the end of the Super Bowl.

The Patriots need it. The Broncos want it. The issue is one I've been trying to profess for the last week; the Broncos won against the Steelers because the just went out and had fun. They wanted to win, but they didn't need too. It's what Jim Nance was talking about when he said "this is it, we've made it to the playoffs, there's no more pressure". The Broncos have already completed a successful season, and winning the superbowl is just something that they want to accomplish to increase their victory.

This is just plain idiotic. Getting the outcome correct does not in any way suggest or imply that your reasoning is the reason for that outcome.

The Broncos won because Ben Roethlisberger was hopping around like a thrice-clubbed baby harp seal waiting for the fourth whack. Period.

I know the trade for Plamer was bad; but I think with a full training camp with those WRs (DHB, Ford and Moore) along with that running attack, the raiders could become decent. Palmer was not terrible.He looked OK physically, he needs more time with the offense. If that 3rd down pass was caught by Chaz Schilens (it was catchable) they would beat the Lions and would have been in the playoffs

Yes yes, Sivin, your analogies are all very apt. The Patriots have a lot of pressure on them and Tom Brady just doesn't look like he's having fun out there. Tim Tebow looks like he's having a lot of fun (I imagine it's fun to sail passes over the heads of wide open receivers) and the Broncos are all looser and thus the team that wants it, not the team that needs it, is going to have more success because of some pseudological hogwash and over-narrativized theories of football that you've inculcated in yourself from your years of thinking you're the fan of six different teams.

You've made yet another incredibly perceptive observation about the NFL. Have a fucking cookie, and have fun with it!

I propose a sig bet on this weekend's Pats-Broncos game. Loser keeps a sig of the winner's choice until the end of the Super Bowl.

I've already lost one sig bet, what's one more?

I'd like to point out that I haven't trying to guarantee a Broncos win, I've just been arguing that the Broncos have just as good a chance of winning as the Patriots do, and perhaps even an edge.

So, sure, I'll take this action.

And Bronn, we'll see on Saturday night, wont we.

And Bronn, we'll see on Saturday night, wont we.

I hereby assert that due to proper implementation of the monkey poo coffee bean diet, the Patriots will prevail. And by your logic, one of us will be absolutely 100% correct.

I'd like to point out that I haven't trying to guarantee a Broncos win, I've just been arguing that the Broncos have just as good a chance of winning as the Patriots do, and perhaps even an edge.

You're saying the edge is because they're just having fun out there. Like, you know, Brett Favre was just having fun out there like a good ol' (interception-throwing) gunslinger. I just wanted you to realize where else the "just having fun out there" meme gets deployed.

But this is a fun game, I'll get in on it too. If the Patriots win, it will be because Jesus hates having his name dropped by jackasses.

I hereby assert that due to proper implementation of tthe monkey poo coffee bean diet, the Patriots will prevail. And by your logic, one of us will be absolutely 100% correct.

Ahh... Is someone feeling a bit raw about something?

Look, I'm not endorsing the idea that Tebow is the greatest thing since sliced bread, if that's what you're afraid of. I'm simply saying that the Broncos, the Broncos, as a team, have a mental edge over the Patriots. And yes, one of us will be 100% correct by the end of the week.

John Parr - Tim Tebow's Fire

Growin' up

Gotta keep your eye on the ball

Make it fly,

Give it everything, give your all

But maybe sometimes if you feel the pain

You'll find you're all alone

Everything has changed

Play the game

You know you can't quit until it's won

Soldier on

Only you can do what must be done

You know I’m out there

Down on one knee

a prisoner

And I’m tryin' to break free

CHORUS:

I can see a new horizon

Underneath the blazin' sky

I'll be where the eagle's

Flyin' higher and higher

Gonna be a man in motion

All I needs my Broncos team

Take me where my future's lyin'

Tim Tebows Fire

What stats measure "want it more"?

That would be the W/L column... The Patriots don't have a very good one of those in the last couple of years in the playoffs...

However, I think Tebow would have to sell his soul to the Devil for him to beat the Pats this year...

That would be the W/L column... The Patriots don't have a very good one of those in the last couple of years in the playoffs...

Funnily enough, I thought that W/L record was more reflective of a shitty defense. But you guys are probably right, I bet it's just cause they were tense. And Tom Brady doesn't smile enough. That's totally it.

At some point on these boards, Howdyphillip, you may actually learn how to construct a real argument.

However, I think Tebow would have to sell his soul to the Devil for him to beat the Pats this year...

New England's defense is not that good. Overall they've given up the most Yards in NFL History And were it not for Denver mistakes in their last meeting , they might not have won that game. If past history is any indication they may be looking one and done in the playoff.

I am pointing out the fact that you picked the outcome of the Denver game does not necessarily mean that your insights are valid. And looking at them with an objective eye, they probably aren't.

Fair enough, I understand your position and I ultimately don't care to argue a philosophical point. How's about I enjoy watching the game on Saturday, and you do the same.

You're saying the edge is because they're just having fun out there. Like, you know, Brett Favre was just having fun out there like a good ol' (interception-throwing) gunslinger. I just wanted you to realize where else the "just having fun out there" meme gets deployed.

Once again, fair enough. But I'd like to point out that Brett Favre was just a selfish, over-rated pervert. And I wasn't trying to emphasize the prancing around and giggling that Favre did. I was leaning more towards a general enjoyment of the game.

Well, first. Do you know what the best team the Patriots have beaten is? It's the Broncos.

The Patriots, on the other hand. Have to win. If they don't, it was a failed season. And that puts a lot of pressure on them, and that pressure will affect how they perform. If you don't believe me, look back to the differences between the Patriots before 2007, and the Patriots now.

Well Miami, Dallas and Philly are all significantly better than Denver. That's without looking at the schedule.

I do agree with your logic. It's easier for the underdog. It's togher when you have nothing to gain. But there's only so big a gap in talent that you can overcome with that.

I am pointing out the fact that you picked the outcome of the Denver game does not necessarily mean that your insights are valid. And looking at them with an objective eye, they probably aren't.

Depends why. I picked the Broncos to win. But not not because they are any good. The Steelers had been bad and getting worse as the season ended. A mediocre team built a good record against an easy schedule, and by the playoffs, too many injuries on top of that.

This is crazy talk. The Broncos have a chance sure, AGS. But an equal chance. Vegas disagrees. Pats are two touchdown favorites and I'll lay the points.

Depends why. I picked the Broncos to win. But not not because they are any good. The Steelers had been bad and getting worse as the season ended. A mediocre team built a good record against an easy schedule, and by the playoffs, too many injuries on top of that..

These strike me as perfectly reasonable and valid reasons. Unlike the Andy Hardy/Knute Rockne All American stuff Sivin is spouting.

Well Miami, Dallas and Philly are all significantly better than Denver. That's without looking at the schedule.

Hmmm, to quote a certain Bill Parcells; "You are what your record says you are."

While Dallas and Philly both finished 8-8, I didn't see them win their equally weak division.

I do agree with your logic. It's easier for the underdog. It's togher when you have nothing to gain. But there's only so big a gap in talent that you can overcome with that.

That's what makes for the fun.

This is crazy talk. The Broncos have a chance sure, AGS. But an equal chance. Vegas disagrees. Pats are two touchdown favorites and I'll lay the points.

Were the Patriots 11 or 13 point favorites in Superbowl 42?

Hmmm, to quote a certain Bill Parcells; "You are what your record says you are."

While Dallas and Philly both finished 8-8, I didn't see them win their equally weak division.

More importantly, Philly and Dallas were just NOT having fun. You could see how tense they were and that's why they fucked up so bad.

You are what your record says you are? Well, tell that to the 12-4 team that just lost to the 8-8 team.

Or how about this? If records really do tell everyone what quality your team is, then why do you think an 8-8 team has an equal chance, or perhaps an edge, against a 13-3 team? You are what your record says you are, until the critical "Are they having fun out there?" factor comes into play, I guess.

Jesus, I could spend a good long time constructing fractally stupid and contradictory arguments out of the theories you've posted here.

Funnily enough, I thought that W/L record was more reflective of a shitty defense. But you guys are probably right, I bet it's just cause they were tense. And Tom Brady doesn't smile enough. That's totally it.

At some point on these boards, Howdyphillip, you may actually learn how to construct a real argument.

If the argument is that the Patriots have taken far better teams on paper to playoff games and choked, then I hope that is real enough for you. I don't think that they will do it this week as they by far out class their competition, but I fully expect them to choke the AFC Championship game no matter who they play.

Despite having an atrocious defense, they have one of the most prolific offenses of all time. With the NFL rules so heavily favoring offenses now, they should still be the favorite to reach the SB with the home field advantage. My prediction is that they will not get there.

I used to wonder why so many people hated the Cowboys until the Patriots became such ungracious winners and whinny losers. If we were half as much privileged jerks that Boston and New England fans have been in the last ten years, then I completely understand.

If the argument is that the Patriots have taken far better teams on paper to playoff games and choked, then I hope that is real enough for you. I don't think that they will do it this week as they by far out class their competition, but I fully expect them to choke the AFC Championship game no matter who they play.

Despite having an atrocious defense, they have one of the most prolific offenses of all time. With the NFL rules so heavily favoring offenses now, they should still be the favorite to reach the SB with the home field advantage. My prediction is that they will not get there.

I used to wonder why so many people hated the Cowboys until the Patriots became such ungracious winners and whinny losers. If we were half as much privileged jerks that Boston and New England fans have been in the last ten years, then I completely understand.

Yes but what happens if Tom Brady has a subpar game? There's no defense to pick up the slack.

Archived