NFL Playoffs

Trebla

A poster on anther forum I frequent said it best: The Broncos have become a sports film. This would explain Tebow's sudden ability and success on the first play of the first overtime with the new rules.

I am so pissed about that game, I'm gonna go over my picks to make myself feel better.

OK, then. Various games.

Houston vs. Cincinnati

I'll take Houston here, but I think it's pretty close, and a lot of that pick is predicated on my assuming that Johnson will be really ornery and will break a big play at some point. I like crowd vs. rookie QB, too... but this could really go either way.

Spread is Houston -3, I wouldn't bet on this game. Significant chance it could go either way.

Pittsburgh at Denver

I like Pittsburgh to win outright here, because Denver is fucking terrible. With the advent of Brown in the receiving game, they have one more good WR than Denver has great corners, and I don't really think Mendenhall is that good anyway. Someone made the point that the Pats and Bills beat the Broncos by playing a 3rd WR and hurting the positioning of Miller for the pass rush; Pittsburgh will do a good bit of this.

With that said, the line is Pittsburgh -8.5, and I think Denver's a smart bet, I really doubt this game gets truly out-of-hand, and I can definitely see late Denver points to cover.

Giants vs. Falcons

Like the Giants here a lot. I think Ryan gets sacked a bunch in this game; with Umeniyora, Pierre-Paul, Tuck, Kanty, and Kiwanuka, they have the best pure pass rush in the playoffs. I also think that the Giants have more offensive weapons than Atlanta will be able to handle, and Atlanta's O has to play in the cold and the wind in NJ. The spread is NYG -3; I think this is an anticlimactic 10-point win for the Giants.

New Orleans vs. Detroit

Ugh. Nobody is giving Detroit a shot in this game, and they might not have one, but I'm nervous about the Saints. Someone mentioned upthread that Detroit should just take the Saints' gameplan from the NFC Championship game vs. Minnesota, and they're right. If you just unleash the dogs on Brees for a half, and count on Stafford/Megatron to keep it close on the turf, I think you can win in the second half if you get Brees limping and a little gunshy. It's an unpleasant, unsportsmanlike plan, but I do think it would work. Plus, I do think that Detroit can score with anybody. New Orleans is favored by 10.5 points, and I think Detroit's a pretty good bet. New Orleans to win outright, Detroit to cover.

Mex, PM me your number, if I'm not super hungover/apathetic, I might try and come down to Phebe's.

ETA: I wanted to get my Superbowl pick in also: 49ers vs. Ravens. Not sure who I favor in that game, TBH. Is Ted Ginn going to be healthy for it? How good are SF's corners? Does either offense audible ever? Will it matter without a home crowd? Trying to adjust these two teams for the stupid Indy stadium is the pits.

3-1 outright, 2-1 against the spread. I'll take it.

Dammit, Steelers.

And so, I watched the end of days.

Not that Tim Tebow won a game

Not that Tim Tebow won a game as opposed to his opponent loosing the game.

No...

The fact that Tim Tebow won a game, and I rooted for him the whole way!

YUP! My hypocrisy, it would appear, is limitless. (BTW- I love how all the analysts are just amazed that Tebow actually threw a good NFL: pass... like a grown-up!)

I like that the Steelers lost and did so by getting beat up. The ball was boucning their way the whole night, and they were getting every call (the incomplete pass that was, actually a fumble) and non call (there were appx 152 facemask calls that the refs didn't see). I like that they STILL lost and were out-fought by the Broncos D. And that Tebow finally, at long last threw a ball or two. And Big Ben looked TERRIBLE! The fat fuck rapist lost and looked like a pig on stilts. God I hate that guy!.

And the Falcons took a big steaming poop on the playoffs, huh? The Giants looked very good, but the game was exactly what I expected (I was 3-1 this week. Guess which one I got wrong?): a good team played against a perfectly average team, and the good team looked great. The Falcons are so extremely "meh". And they looked it against the Giants. I think the Giants will give the Pack a stern test. Three GREAT games next week (and one hopeul ass-kicking with the Broncos at Patriots).

So, yeah, love the Pats chances next week against the Broncos. The Broncos will be riding high but can they cover Welker, Hernandez and Gronk? They looked shotty against the Steleers banged up running game; can they stop Ellis and Ridley? I think the Pats can score 40 points on Saturday and may make this game a route.

Then again... last year at this time I said the Pats would steam-role the Jets. How'd that work out for me...

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Tim Tebows passing yards? Yep. 316

... Satan your kingdom must come down ...

ug... w...what... ??

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Tim Tebows passing yards? Yep. 316

I don't know if I'm relieved or worried that I'm not the only one who thought of this when hearing the total passing yards.

I read somewhere that the Broncos/Steelers game felt less like a football game, and more like watching a Disney movie.

I would like to take this time to congratulate myself now as I was one of the only people on the planet to call this game. I did not however think that Tim Tebow would suddenly become an NFL QB. That shocked me. I really enjoyed watching Rapelessburger getting his...

Praying for some weather at the Stick on Saturday. High winds, rain, whatever...

Is there ANY chance at all there won't be crazy winds? I watched the goal post flags blowing in different directions than each other more times than I can count.

Awwww,,,the other thread was locked, but I got called out by Ku for making an incorrect Tebow prediction! WOO HOO!

Is this season the first with the new playoff OT rules? Or just the first time it was used...? In any case, it came across as ironic tonight...

Awwww,,,the other thread was locked, but I got called out by Ku for making an incorrect Tebow prediction! WOO HOO!

Is this season the first with the new playoff OT rules? Or just the first time it was used...? In any case, it came across as ironic tonight...

No. Yes. Yes, indeedy.

I said I'd burn a fatted calf in gratitude if the Broncos beat the Steelers. I guess I'll be cooking veal this week...

I'm laughing my ass off about the Steelers losing, but I feel like my glee is going to rebound on me next week, so I'll try and keep a lid on it.

I'm not sure what to make of the McDaniels re-signing, by the way. Supposedly he's consulting with Bill O'Brien? I don't like the idea of two half-time coordinators being on the job in the playoffs.

ETA: Hey, Ku showed back up! Right when Tebow started winning again. Yep, that's a solid Christianist.

I'm still mad about this game..... the way the Steelers lost it was so ridiculous i still cant believe it.

i didn't have my hopes up for the team this year but that game was just pathetic.

anyway.... for me the AFCCG will be patriots vs ravens and the NFCCG will be packers vs saints

for the SB. i want it to be patriots vs saints (Brees FTW) but i think its gonna be packers vs ravens

McDaniels drafted Tebow. You might want to change your av for a few weeks.

McDaniels drafted Demaryius Thomas too. With a pick traded from New England. I think one of the picks New England got back was used on McCourty. Is this the set up for some terrible closing of the circle?

Archived