US Politics The Third

Ser Reptitious

Just a guess, but I doubt Obama believes Christ is the resurrected son of God, born of a virgin.

Like most people with a few extra brain cells to rub together. In any case, getting a black president who was an athiest in office would be harder than bending the world in half.

Let's move away from religion and talk about the French.

http://factcheck.org/2012/01/gingrich-makes-a-french-connection/

As for his French-speaking skills, Romney honed those as a Mormon missionary in France for a few years in the 1960s. Gingrich’s ad highlights a clip of Romney greeting French volunteers to the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. We’ll have to leave it to voters to decide whether being able to chat in français is a good thing or a bad thing. Gingrich (as well as
has no problem reaching out to U.S. voters in Spanish.

In this (hilarious) attack ad, at the end, Gingrich (or rather, his Super PAC that clearly has no affiliation or coordination with him) states that he speaks French, in a very negative light. Is there really a substantial enough group of American conservatives that are so xenophobic that this is something that really adversely affects Romney? Yes, this is a legitimate question.

Actually, come to think of it, since I did read an op-ed in The Washington Post a few weeks ago called "Can I really vote for a Mormon?," it's not a serious question.

It's the definition of a Christian, the foundation of the entire religion.

I think that the foundation of the Christian religion is the idea that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus is in some way closely bound up with the salvation of human beings.

I don't think the belief in either the Virgin Birth or a bodily resurrection is necessary to affirming that.

Although on a personal note, as someone who does personally believe in the resurrection (I don't care one way or the other about the Virgin Birth), I am really insulted by those on this thread who immediately have to make nasty comments about how that makes me an "idiot." Whether or not Obama or anyone else believes in either the resurrection or the Virgin Birth has nothing to do with their IQ. I don't insult the intelligence of atheists and I would really like it if they didn't insult mine.

I don't insult the intelligence of atheists and I would really like it if they didn't insult mine.

Not to poop on the spirit of brotherhood but what exactly is there to insult about atheism?

"I don't believe in that for which there is no evidence." Ooh. Ridicule away.

tzanth, (and Ormond),

Who does?

I do. If people choose to underestimate my intelligence based upon my religious beliefs so much the better for me.

Ser Greguh,

I take it that means you need constant reaffirmations of people's love for you? Otherwise, how do you have evidence of their continued love?

AP,

I'm pleased you think i'm an idiot. :)

I take it that means you need constant reaffirmations of people's love for you? Otherwise, how do you have evidence of their continued love?

Of course not. What a bizarre comparison. I don't need to be able to see the stars during the day to know that they're still there, either. That's not how evidence works. The difference between us is that I need to see them (or, more formally, be presented with compelling evidence for them) once.

Look, it's one thing to complain about people making fun of your beliefs, and quite another to imply that the only thing that keeps you from ridiculing the other side is your own good nature.

AP,

I'm pleased you think i'm an idiot. :)

I apologize if you feel insulted, Scot. It was maybe a little too blunt with poor word choice. I do not apologize for the opinion, however. I feel it no more or less than some of your brethren may feel I'll be spending an eternity in agonizing torture for said opinion.

Stephen Colbert, who has given his Superpac to John Stewart, had an awesome interview with George Stephonopolous recently.

And John Stewarts Superpac attack ad is also awesome. It uses Mitt Romney's words, that corporations are people, to then point out that Mitt Romney is a serial killer for having murdered corporations. I'm not sure if it is on youtube yet, but its awesome.

Let's move away from religion and talk about the French.

http://factcheck.org...nch-connection/

In this (hilarious) attack ad, at the end, Gingrich (or rather, his Super PAC that clearly has no affiliation or coordination with him) states that he speaks French, in a very negative light. Is there really a substantial enough group of American conservatives that are so xenophobic that this is something that really adversely affects Romney? Yes, this is a legitimate question.

Actually, come to think of it, since I did read an op-ed in The Washington Post a few weeks ago called "Can I really vote for a Mormon?," it's not a serious question.

The funniest part of thea ad is that it's all relevant stuff (for a GOP primary anyway) before that.

And then at the end, it's suddenly like "Oh yeah, and he speaks French. What an asshole!" and it's like "What??? Where did that come from?"

Archived