Once Upon a Time (It's very own thread)

Howdyphillip

Thought that this week's episode was a little weak. The fairy-side story was poorly done. I mean, the first 5 minutes were so cheesy and poorly done I wasn't sure I was watching the right show. And the writing was so cardboard and stilted between Nova and Dreamy. I did like the Dreamy->Grumpy conversion, though.

The Storybrooke side was better, but it still seemed a bit like treading water. I know Mary Margaret is somewhat hated, but that no one would even talk to her seems unlikely. But I know small towns can be vicious, so, I'll accept it. What I can't accept is that Emma is so thick as to not realize whatshisface is still working for the Mayor. As much as she claims to know when people are lying to her, she seems to just accept whatever anyone says to her.

I'm still holding out hope Emma knows he's working for the mayor and playing along for now in case she wants to use him to feed the mayor false information. If it turns out that's not the case then Emma is severely think and her "knowing when people are lying" talent is utter BS

I thought the beginning part was made to look cheesey on purpose as a way of making it seem airy and bright to contrast the above fairy world up in the clouds with the mortal/dwarf/etc world below, when the dust fell on Dreamy/Grumpy's egg then the world looked much more in depth.

I think the series is doing a very good job at tying all the Disney movies plus the miscellaneous fairytale/mother goose land characters and stories (Kack Sprat and his wife) into one elaborate world and filling in the backstories, plus showing us bits in episodes that have greater meaning and significance in later episodes down the road. I think that's the greatest appeal this series has for me, it's so well done. I'm looking forward to learning the start of Gold/Rumplestilskin's feud with the nuns/fairies. We know he ends up killing Cinderella's Fairy Godmother.

I'm hoping, too that Emma is on to the the ex-journalist (can't think of his name). I think the best part of the episode was when Grumpy took the pick-ax to the electrical transformer, so he could sell the candles.

I'm looking forward to next weeks show and the back story to Little Red Riding Hood. I like Red and her Granny.

I'm hoping, too that Emma is on to the the ex-journalist (can't think of his name). I think the best part of the episode was when Grumpy took the pick-ax to the electrical transformer, so he could sell the candles.

I'm looking forward to next weeks show and the back story to Little Red Riding Hood. I like Red and her Granny.

Mr. Glass, former editor of The Mirror, heh.

Also, that scene a few episodes back with Emma confronting Regina at the town council meeting about the playground, it was so similar to the former scene at a town council meeting where Emma revealed Gold was working to make her look good so she could remain sheriff. Gold came out of that meeting humilated and looking beaten, and Emma did get to remain Sheriff because she was honest and stood up to Gold, but then Gold revealed to Emma that was his plan all along. The way this series does callbacks, I have to believe Emma was doing the same thing at the other council meeting.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Red Riding episode too.

I really liked the Fairy/Dwarf forbidden love story and seeing the origin of Grumpy. Then again, I am a big fan of cheese. I also thought that having the female's correlating character in Storybrook being a nun was a smart choice also. Overall, this episode just made me feel good after watching it, which is what this series seems to be consistently providing.

The return of Mr. gold was great also...

I love this show!

I know it's been mentioned that there's a bit of Disney thrown in, and I think it's because ABC is somewhat related to Disney.

That being said, I love how Belle started out in OUaT in her iconic yellow ball gown, but ended in her blue and white dress. In the Disney movie, it's the opposite.

My favorite charecter by far is Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin; I've loved that actor ever since I saw him in 28 weeks later. I wasn't a huge fan of Stargate Universe, but I liked his character. (pretty much the only thing I liked about that train wreck of a show.)

Then again, I really love the evil queen/mayor lady, the fact that we have two "bad guys" really makes me happy. :)

I love this show!

I know it's been mentioned that there's a bit of Disney thrown in, and I think it's because ABC is somewhat related to Disney.

ABC is owned by Disney and this show isn't a series that is Disney-fied but it's pretty much an extension of the Disney universe. It couldn't exist like it is without the Disney versions of its characters. I'm not a fan of corporate Disney, but being brought up on the animated films I've not only accepted that this show is connected to them, but embraced it.

However, the good thing about Rumplestilskin being a main villian I think is that there never was an animated Rumplestilskin feature film movie made by Disney so he works very well as a behind the scenes pulling all the strings villian in contrast with Regina/The Evil Queen who is in your face evil.

Well, this TV show might not be as good as Fables (graphic novels), but it's certainly entertaining. I confess, I cried like a baby during the "Beauty and the Beast" episode (really, Carlyle and the evil queen are all that I watch it for :laugh: ), and last episode, well... I liked the story of how Dreamer became Grumpy, and they (the producers) were smart to keep us waiting until we finally understood what failed love story Grumpy was talking about when he rescues Snow.

Does anyone else think we would do better without the Snow White/Prince whatever-is-his-name-here story? So annoying, argh.

Well, this TV show might not be as good as Fables (graphic novels), but it's certainly entertaining. I confess, I cried like a baby during the "Beauty and the Beast" episode (really, Carlyle and the evil queen are all that I watch it for :laugh: ), and last episode, well... I liked the story of how Dreamer became Grumpy, and they (the producers) were smart to keep us waiting until we finally understood what failed love story Grumpy was talking about when he rescues Snow.

Does anyone else think we would do better without the Snow White/Prince whatever-is-his-name-here story? So annoying, argh.

I like the Snow White & Prince Charming background story in DisneyStoryLand, but I'm glad it's spaced out at least every other episode. But after season 1 I hope the story is pretty much told and they focus more on something else.

The James & Mary-Margaret soap opera I could do without, but the plot needs them to balance their counterpart's stories. But they could and should minimalize it.

What ??!!!! We would miss an entire small town calling Snow White a harlot without this story. That's a new one on me.

What ??!!!! We would miss an entire small town calling Snow White a harlot without this story. That's a new one on me.

This is why the story has its moments, but could do with trimming, it took an awful lot of MM and James doing goo-goo eyes to get at that.

The other good part was this allowing the mayor to spray paint "TRAMP" on MM's car.

This is why the story has its moments, but could do with trimming, it took an awful lot of MM and James doing goo-goo eyes to get at that.

The other good part was this allowing the mayor to spray paint "TRAMP" on MM's car.

I agree with you - those moments are great, but sometimes I wonder if they are worth the lame romance of those two

• 1 month later...

Wow that last episode was just fucking awful. I can't believe they picked that to be the return from hiatus. Not that it had been that good in the weeks leading up to the hiatus, but still... I would have thought a Rumpelstiltskin episode would have been better than that.

I actually liked the newest episode. I got all teary-eyed at Mr. Gold and his son's reunion and was surprised when it turned out to be fake. And I don't know how intentional it was, but I liked that Rumpelstiltskin was so focused on following his son that he resorted to cursing the entire kingdom--which is the exact behavior his son hated so much. Does he really think his son is going to be glad that his father sacrificed all these people to follow him? Now I'm wondering who his son is and when he's going to show up.

Although I like this show in general, I must say that I can't stand Emma. She has to be the worst protagonist. I just cringe half the time she is on the screen, blech.

I love anything with Rumpelstiltskin in it. That actor is basically the main reason why I kept watching the show for a start, but I'll grant the second half of the season has been better than I expected.

And, just like Starkess, I'm not ashamed to say I nearly cried with his story...

Although I like this show in general, I must say that I can't stand Emma. She has to be the worst protagonist. I just cringe half the time she is on the screen, blech.

She's not the worst, that position belongs to the lady from Alcatraz :P

I could see that being the plan all along. Motorcycle guy was definitely important when he first showed up however long ago. And it makes sense that someone else had to go through--I mean, is a baby just going to lie there for however long?

Cannot believe Emma just kidnapped Henry. She's right--Storybrooke is screwed if they're depending on her for anything.

(Also have to love the anti-adoption theme that seems to run through this show. Does anyone have nice adopted parents that they actually like?)

That episode was better than the last one. Emma is just not an intelligent person, and that is problematic for me.

(Also have to love the anti-adoption theme that seems to run through this show. Does anyone have nice adopted parents that they actually like?)

:lmao:

Nice.

That was a great episode that made Pinocchio much more of a sympathetic character; and Emma an annoying bitch, obviously =P

Seriously though, it seems she's beginning to believe and is simply scared of what she must do. So, will the cliffhanger at season finale be her accepting her fate?, I wonder. If that's the case, we can expect only another season, right?

These last two episodes could only make me even more curious about Bae, who he is in our world. My bets are on Henry's father, just because.

Archived