Once Upon a Time (It's very own thread)

Howdyphillip

Yay, Evil Snow! Finally a version of the character I might actually like!

Still trying to decide who's more stupid for trusting Cora - Snow or Regina. Poor Mrs. Patmore...

I had forgotten how annoying Kid Snow was; the most serious moments would only make me laugh at the faces she'd make.

LOL! I kept saying Ms. Patmore! My hubby had no clue what I was talking about since he refuses to watch Downton Abbey.

Kid Snow is overacting x 100, but she is a kid so I give her a pass.

I enjoyed last night's episode, actually the last couple of episodes have been really good. I'm really enjoying the addition of Neal it really adds to the story. My hubby said something about him being Peter Pan last night and I dismissed it, then I see that is a common thought here - so he may be onto something.

I don't know that Regina is redeemable - I don't really care - I just love watching her, she is a fun villain.

LO,

Hey, Regina killed her father this just makes it an even two for two.

For some reason I had completely forgotten about that, but Daddy Henry was so weak he was almost glad to be of service, so I don't think anyone cared. Hmm, maybe that annuls it then and her redemption really might be simply her killing Cora. Or sacrificing herself to save Henry or whatever and then being saved by Emma's magic, who knows.

Ser Scott

Hi

How can Regina be redeamable? How many people's deaths does she have to cause or contribute to before people will wake up and see her for the sociopath she really is?

Because she was a good person. Someone who believed in love, hated magic and the way her mother abused it. Willing to save a life rather than take it. She was broken and corrupted and nobody was willing to stand by her and teach her why being good was worth the loss and heartbreak she suffered. Her father was probably the best influence in her life and he was powerless to protect her.

Because Evil acts have few consequences in FTL. And being good is a constant struggle. As far as she can see.

In her mind she didn't choose the wrong side she was thrust into the "winning" side.

I'm saying; what she has done. While reprehensible, base and disgusting.

Unlike a... eg.. serial killer who has something fundamentally wrong with them. Or to pick another fictional character - Joffery who was shown to have something base and deeply wrong with him.

She started her adult life as good. With a conscience.

Her current choices as the evil Queen Regina. While they have an immediate pay off to her benefit. (Which reinforces her behaviour) She pays an emotional cost. She is often sad, lonely and depressed. She had to practically buy a baby in order to get the unconditional love she desperately wants. And now Henry is questioning her she is coming undone. She has the ability to act, react and to empathise.

And while that doesn't make her good. It means she can learn to be some one different.

She absolutely should be held accountable for what she has done. But I feel she has the propensity for deep and meaningful change.

WA,

I do see what you are saying but, in my ernest opinion, the only way Regina can legitimately redeem herself is to give her life in defense of another. She's killed and tormented far too many people for simple forgiveness and letting "bygones be bygones".

I love this show, it's not one of the best show but I liked it very much. Season 1 I found brilliant how they put the fairy tales in the show. Season 2 started promising but when Emma got back in storybrook I found it become very bad. I hope this change soon.

I think I will watch the last episode (I read it was about Snow) this week. I love the whole Regina part in season 2.

I was too distracted by Rose McGowan's face when she was on screen to pay attention to the flashback. Even with her name in the opening credits, I did not recognize her until several minutes in.

Agreed - the Bae/Rumple moment was touching. Even Rumple's call to Belle was nicely done, and I am not a fan of that pairing. Cora's face lighting up just before the end was tragic.

This might have been my favorite episode of the series so far. I love the fact that they are still writing the black and white, and good vs. evil story lines yet are still adding nuances of the characters that are against trope. Corra needed a back story that we could understand, and although it wasn't the most fleshed out explanation, they came up with very human reasons to explain how she became the person she was.

I also love the fact that Snow did a bad bad thing. They keep finding ways to not make her a one dimensional character.

What an episode! The quick Rumbelle and Rumple/Bae moments left me in tears. That first scene with Eva (what a bitch) made Cora a slightly more sympathetic character, but then we had the rest of the episode and it was just impossible for me to feel sorry when she died, though I do feel bad for Regina. Well, there goes that chance of redemption. I actually had that moment spoiled for me by someone on Tumblr, but it still had enough of an impact. Even if I didn't know about it, though, it was so unlikely they would kill Rumple, that they would take from the show the actor that is the reason for most to keep watching it, opposed to the character almost universally despised, that the suspense lost some of its power.

I like Evil Snow! Poor Regina, though, never ceases to be manipulated... This never-ending war between them is getting old, though.

I do think the candle, a life for a life thing would have been more poetic if it killed Hook so Rumple could live, but I can't complain; we got rid of Cora. What I keep expecting is a twist to Regina's father's story, that never comes; I mean, his own father thinks he's useless, the man can't simply be the most irrelevant character in the show, can he?

LO,

What I can't figure out is who Regina's father was? I thought he was a moderately wealthy commoner not minor nobility.

It initially sounded like he was a younger son of the King, Cora said something about a lot of people would have to die for him to actually become King, but then when Cora said she named her Regina because she would one day be Queen. So still not sure, unless Cora had already started killing a lot of people in the way, or had studied enough magic by the time Regina was born that she could see the future.

Angalin,

No, I mean the guy Regina killed to enact the curse in the first place.

Wasn't Regina's father a lot shorter? (The guy she killed.) Here he looks like she's bending down to give him a hug.

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/ei44mT-YUag/0.jpg

And the guy Cora married in last night's episode was quite a bit taller than Cora. Cora is shorter than Regina, but not by that much?

I kept thinking Regina was Rumple's daughter, then they kind of half-heartedly had Cora say, "Well no child of mine will be yours" or such.

Confusing.

It initially sounded like he was a younger son of the King, Cora said something about a lot of people would have to die for him to actually become King, but then when Cora said she named her Regina because she would one day be Queen. So still not sure, unless Cora had already started killing a lot of people in the way, or had studied enough magic by the time Regina was born that she could see the future.

Their house looked beneath a prince, though. Considering Cora can create gold, it's surprising she didn't make enough to build a more majestic place.

Does Bae know that his father killed his mother? That could put a bit of a wrinkle in the progress those two made in this episode?

Oh, I'm sure he'll find out about it. Settling things between them this soon after Bae reappears makes no sense, after all, and now that Rumple is no longer dying, they just can't leave things like that. And there's also the small problem of Henry being Rumple's undoing, or whatever the Seer's words were, which is sure to cause some tension.

Wasn't Regina's father a lot shorter? (The guy she killed.) Here he looks like she's bending down to give him a hug.

http://i3.ytimg.com/...44mT-YUag/0.jpg

And the guy Cora married in last night's episode was quite a bit taller than Cora. Cora is shorter than Regina, but not by that much?

I kept thinking Regina was Rumple's daughter, then they kind of half-heartedly had Cora say, "Well no child of mine will be yours" or such.

Confusing.

The guy got old and shorter, it seems. :dunno:

Yeah, they had me convinced Regina was Rumple's daughter, to the point of almost making me return to previous episodes to try and find a new meaning to them, but then I think it was clear they never got to have sex, so... Which would explain why Rumple chose the right moment to manipulate Regina into learning magic and leading her to the curse instead of simply raising her for that, as he probably would have done if Cora had not found a way to break their deal. Which is ironic, since, if he raised the child, she would probably never have any reason for ruining Snow White's life anyway.

Archived