Once Upon a Time (It's very own thread)

Howdyphillip

Yeah, not a great episode. I thought Lancelot's introduction and quick demise was pretty crappy. Essentially they had him there because his name is 'du lac'. I can find water! I can marry people with water!. Meh - too contrived and a waste of a potentially interesting character. He seemed out of place in fairy tale land as well. I know this is Disney, but was Lancelot even in a Disney movie? Arthur and Merlin, yes, but that is soooo reaching (I thought). Anyway.

I can't think of one thing about this episode I really liked other than Snow showing Emma what's up. I will admit that Aurora was annoying, but it was only because her tiny bit of dialogue was so shit. It's like they wanted to show that she hadn't forgotten about Phillip, so had the obligatory 'I KEEL YOU!' moment that she has (apparently?) gotten over. I still want to like her. And no one was overly freaked out about the Vault? Beating hearts, people.

@Gertrude

Good assessment, I agree, except I think the writers are purposely making Aurora come off as a whiney privileged brat (for character growth later I guess) and is not supposed to be likeable, problem is she's coming off so unlikeable and irritating it makes it tougher for a character to redeem themselves than if they were just a villian that's grown to anti-hero or even hero status.

The sappy side of me got the warm and fuzzies when Snow and Emma had their moment, that and Snow showing her skills is the best I can say for this episode I guess.

I hope Cora was only telling another one of her lies or half-truths about Lancelot, he'd be an interesting character so see again in more than just flashback times.

The episode was a filler, that can't be denied, but I have to say I liked it, specially because Snow and Emma are starting a mother/daughter relationship, and Emma was able to see how much her parents loved her and why they sent her away. I think it's good they dedicated an episode to show what Snow and her family lost due to the curse, and Jefferson got his daughter back after years and years waiting for the curse to break.

So, we really didn't move forward with the plot, but I think the episode wanted to show how the characters relationships are going to be this season.

I admit the past fairy tale story was weak, specially because it seemed Lancelot was going to be more relevant and now it seems he is dead. Although in this tv show you can never be sure. I think he might be alive.

The Snow and Emma bits were good and necessary. Emma realizing that she really was loved ... a LOT, was nice to see. It just ... wow, Flashback story was so contrived all the way around and I really have nothing good to say about it. King George's curse was just ... bad. Just really bad. OK, I will shut up now.

This wasn't as a good an episode as the first 2 this season and no wonder, no Rumple, barely any Regina. But Snow did step up a bit but then there was the part where King George poisoned her -- Snow stop taking food and drink from people! Be suspicious at least! How many times have you ingested shit you didn't know woild hurt/kill/change you somehow? FFS!

I was thinking the same thing. "Really? You're just going to drink that?"

Personally I'd probably be switched on the suspicion scale. I wouldn't drink or eat anything offered by someone like that.

But I wouldn't be instantly suspicious of someone who spoke a name they weren't suppose to know. I would probably shrug it off and think that maybe I had mentioned it.

I can't think of one thing about this episode I really liked other than Snow showing Emma what's up. I will admit that Aurora was annoying, but it was only because her tiny bit of dialogue was so shit. It's like they wanted to show that she hadn't forgotten about Phillip, so had the obligatory 'I KEEL YOU!' moment that she has (apparently?) gotten over. I still want to like her. And no one was overly freaked out about the Vault? Beating hearts, people.

I was wondering why they spent all that time explaining the presence of the dementor that killed Phil. That they better move because there will be more and they are everywhere. (or something like that.) And then they just blamed Emma and Snow because they found them unconscious after the fact... Seemed a random and tenuous connection to make.

I half expected Henry to reach out to a beating heart draw and it opens for him. But nope a box on a shelf; More interesting than a chorus of hearts beating.

I admit the past fairy tale story was weak, specially because it seemed Lancelot was going to be more relevant and now it seems he is dead. Although in this tv show you can never be sure. I think he might be alive.

There's always the fact that Cora is the poster child for "liar liar pants on fire". That holds the possibility that they may find Lancelot somewhere. In some kind of sorry state. Otherwise I agree. - What a waste.

Henry, that brat! Seriously, it seems every time Regina appears this season my heart breaks with hers. I'm not that sure she'll come back to her old tricks that quickly, but maybe after Cora arrives in Storybrooke? Because we all know that will happen at some point. That should be interesting, looking forward to that.

I was surprised to like an episode that had no Rumple and barely any Regina, but this was a good one. I like this new dynamics between Snow and Emma, and I'm shocked that I can actually believe they are mother and daughter under the circumstances. It's also good to see that Snow's personality is now a mix between her old self and Mary Margaret, which means that she no longer behaves in that bratty way we see her when she's on FTL. But the best moments were probably Emma having to deal with that world she only saw in books and Mulan and Aurora trying to figure out her clothes and weapon lol

Btw, I still think Aurora is annoying. Though not as annoying as Charming. :cool4:

I'm sorry Lancelot doesn't have a permanent place. Or at least it doesn't look like he will. I really liked him.

The actor said something on his twitter that suggests we haven't seen the last of him.

I always felt we'd at least see more of Lancelot in flashbacks at the very least, I'm just hoping he'll show up (for reals) in present time.

I love present time SnowMargaret's character and the dynamic with her and Emma made the episode for me, but it still was lacking for me compared to the first 2 episodes, I know Rumple can't be the heart of every episode but when he's not in it at all and Regina makes not much more than a cameo it has an effect.

I always felt we'd at least see more of Lancelot in flashbacks at the very least, I'm just hoping he'll show up (for reals) in present time.

I love present time SnowMargaret's character and the dynamic with her and Emma made the episode for me, but it still was lacking for me compared to the first 2 episodes, I know Rumple can't be the heart of every episode but when he's not in it at all and Regina makes not much more than a cameo it has an effect.

Then you will love next week's episode

It has Gold, Rumple before he became the Dark One and maybe Rumpel as the Dark One

And episode 2 was all about Regina and her past, so it's normal she was absent this episode, specially because we don't have two plots like last season (SB and FTL), now we have three (SB, FTL before the curse anf FTL after the curse)

Then you will love next week's episode

It has Gold, Rumple before he became the Dark One and maybe Rumpel as the Dark One

And episode 2 was all about Regina and her past, so it's normal she was absent this episode, specially because we don't have two plots like last season (SB and FTL), now we have three (SB, FTL before the curse anf FTL after the curse)

Yeah I saw the previews and Capt Hook before and after the crocodile bites his hand off too it looks like. Looking forward to it.

Ugh! Couldn't they just lock Henry in the vault and leave him there? With food and water of course! :leaving:

Anyway, it was an okay episode. I also liked Lancelot, so I hope he is not really dead because it seems it would be a waste of a potentially interesting character. Why introduce someone as big as Lancelot in the first place? So far, I am really loving the Emma/Snow relationship. Snow showing Emma she is not as vulnerable as Emma think she is and Emma realizing just how much was sacrificed so she can grow up and live. I thought it was a beautiful, touching moment. I am looking forward to seeing Emma and Snow move on from their past and see their bond become closer. I was pretty shocked myself at how convincing both actresses were at playing as mother/daughter to each other. A bit jarring because of their close ages, but I totally bought it. Kudos to them.

I hate-hate Cora, unlike Regina or Rumple who I love-hate, so I am looking forward to Regina's inevitable rebirth as the Evil Queen and magically kicking Cora's butt.

Next week: I am excited for the first Rumple episode this season, but Captain Hook's eye makeup is laughable, I'm going to have a hard time taking him seriouly when he looks like he just got back from pirate fashion week.

I hate-hate Cora, unlike Regina or Rumple who I love-hate, so I am looking forward to Regina's inevitable rebirth as the Evil Queen and magically kicking Cora's butt.

You know, I still haven't decided if I love-hate or hate-hate Cora. It'll probably be the second option once she arrives in our world. But I do know I love-love Regina and Rumple. Much more sympathetic than any of the heroes, just like Jefferson. :bowdown:

Next week: I am excited for the first Rumple episode this season, but Captain Hook's eye makeup is laughable, I'm going to have a hard time taking him seriouly when he looks like he just got back from pirate fashion week.

I think that's absurdly sexy. Seriously. But it seems he'll be Rumple's enemy, so I really hope I don't end up liking him. :blushing:

You know, I still haven't decided if I love-hate or hate-hate Cora. It'll probably be the second option once she arrives in our world. But I do know I love-love Regina and Rumple. Much more sympathetic than any of the heroes, just like Jefferson. :bowdown:

Well, there is more love than hate for me when it comes to Regina and Rumple. ;) I just like them better when they are bad. I may have slightly more love for Regina than Rumple, though. I'm dying to see more Jefferson too. :bowdown:

I think that's absurdly sexy. Seriously. But it seems he'll be Rumple's enemy, so I really hope I don't end up liking him. :blushing:

Well he sure is the best looking Captain Hook I have ever seen. :lol:

Oh, come on, Jason Isaacs was quite sexy as well, ten years ago. At least that's what I thought when I was 13. :wub:

Wha? I never saw it. Well then, I take it back, Jason Isaacs is a sexy man. :blush:

I just can't want to see how the pretty man in OUaT pulls off playing this hard pirate. Also, yay more Gold!

Loved seeing more Rumple, in all his incarnations. So now I half expect to see Bae as Peter Pan. We're just assuming the portal took him to Storybrooke, but we don't know, right? We just have him saying that it's a land with no magic because Blue told him so. I can't actually remember how she got the bean. Hook has it now, however, and he knows Cora. Could he have masterminded events to get the bean in Bae's hand and have it open to Neverland? He'd then have a hold over Rumple and an easy avenue for revenge. Or the story is manipulating me into thinking that. Whatever ;p

Sadly, I don't like Belle. For someone who is strong enough to stand up for herself and know her own worth and mind, she is too damsel in distress for me. We shall see if she gets her own story anytime soon.

Ok, so my ears perked up when Hook mentioned to pre-dark-one Rumple about dueling and sticking with the "pointy end", then I saw the sign, on the door of the flower shop: "Game of Thornes". So if I wasn't sure the first one was a reference to GOT, by the time I saw the sign I was sure of both.

Also Rumple doing a little Vader choke on Hook was kind of funny.

However, usually this show makes the fairy tale/fantasy stories fit better within the narrative of the series. This episode, while I loved Carlysle, made me feel they tried to hard working Rumple into Hook's story, making him just the metaphor for the crocodile. Also, Peter Pan was supposed to cut off Hook's hand and feed it to the crocodile, that's kind of the thing the show usually does a better job intertwining with the series.

They could always make it match better in a later episode I suppose though.

However, usually this show makes the fairy tale/fantasy stories fit better within the narrative of the series. This episode, while I loved Carlysle, made me feel they tried to hard working Rumple into Hook's story, making him just the metaphor for the crocodile. Also, Peter Pan was supposed to cut off Hook's hand and feed it to the crocodile, that's kind of the thing the show usually does a better job intertwining with the series.

I though the moment with the library was utterly fantastic, totally paralleling the movie.

Ok, so my ears perked up when Hook mentioned to pre-dark-one Rumple about dueling and sticking with the "pointy end", then I saw the sign, on the door of the flower shop: "Game of Thornes". So if I wasn't sure the first one was a reference to GOT, by the time I saw the sign I was sure of both.

Game of Thorns is definitely a reference to GOT. It appeared in season 1 when we first met Belle's father.

Also, it looks like next week we will finally get to see who the doctor is, and unless I'm mistaken, he is Dr. Frankenstein.

Archived