Taena, who is she spying for?

The Sleeper

Personally, I think it is Doran. Mainly, because Cersei did not confide the plan to kill Trystane to anyone in her POV, it seems to me that only her inner circle would know about it. Her inner circle at the moment seems to be Qyburn and Taena. Since it would be quite a stretch for anyone to expect that Qyburn would be part of the court, this seems to point to Taena. Doran would want to keep an eye on the Tyrell court, accounting why she would be part of Margery's circle to begin with.

Another possibility is that she is a double agent for the Tyrells. In that case however we would need to account for her failure/omission to warn Margery that the High Septon was probably going to detain them.

Farfetched. Could the pirate that took her virginity actually be Euron?!?

Another way Doran could have known about the plot to kill Trystane, would be through Varys. Since he and Illyrio seem to count on the Martels as potential allies/Targ loyalists for their plans it would make sense to keep them in the loop in order to increase the possiblity that the will sied with Aegon and/or Dany.

IMO, pretty much everyone. I think she likes to think of herself as kind of a sneakier, female version of Varys, telling everyone the secrets of everyone else, just enough to make them trust her. And I think it is going to end in a very grisly and distasteful way for her, because she is NOT Varys.

One of Taena's more curious actions, for me, occurred before she got in with Cersei. At Tyrion's trial, she testifies that she saw Tyrion drop something into Joffrey's chalice, which we know is a lie. Why lie? How does she benefit from Tyrion's execution? This makes me think she's working for someone who needed Tyrion convicted and dead--maybe Olenna/Margaery to sweep suspicion away from the Tyrells, or maybe Littlefinger? He wanted Sansa to be a widow, and he knew a lot about what was going on with Cersei at King's Landing, so maybe Taena is feeding him information?

Doran and Varys are also good possibilities. And I had never considered the Euron connection before, but that's interesting. If any of the Ironborn are capable of planting a spy, it's definitely Euron.

Is it ever mentioned why Orton Merryweather was exiled to the East for some time? Or how he managed a pardon to come back as Lord of Longtable? That could affect her loyalties/motivations.

About her testifying against Tyrion I think it was to gain favor with Cersei, which worked.

It was Merryweather's granfather ( or father I'm not sure) who was exilled by Aerys for failing to contain the Rebelion as Hand. Teh faomily was lattre pardoned by Robert though still stripped of many of their lands.

By lying about Tyrion, Taena managed to ingratiate herself with Cersei, who had immediately accused Tyrion as the poisoner. IMO, that's the most logical reason why she tell the lie. If that motivation is correct, it doesn't point to her working for anyone other than herself. I think LadyoftheNorth has it right: Taena is working for Taena and trying to befriend anyone in power.

• 8 months later...

By lying about Tyrion, Taena managed to ingratiate herself with Cersei, who had immediately accused Tyrion as the poisoner. IMO, that's the most logical reason why she tell the lie. If that motivation is correct, it doesn't point to her working for anyone other than herself. I think LadyoftheNorth has it right: Taena is working for Taena and trying to befriend anyone in power.

Yes but I don't working for just herself seems very safe... If the Tyrells discover she is spying on them, they have her son (Longtable is in the Reach). Littlefinger doesn't exactly help his fallen friends (Dontos, the Kettleback brothers). The Dornish are too far away to help her if something goes wrong...God knows what happens to Varys's tongueless children when they get to old for the passages...

She is most likely spying for 1 or more of the above, yet what her exit strategy is I don't know.

I think she is spying for her husband, who wants to come back as the new hand,

It sounds very GRRM's style- she always laughts about him and says that he is so weak and stupid. Maybe she wants Cersei to underestimate him.

About Doran- he doesn't need a spy at court to know they want to kill Trystane. the dornish just attacked Mirsella, why won't they want to kill him?

If Taena was working for Doran, then Oberyn probably knew about it, and perhaps ordered or suggested to Taena she testify against Tyrion. This would achieve 3 things: ingratiating her to Cersei, deflecting possible accusations toward Oberyn of being the poisoner (he told Tyrion he thought that was very likely, if Tyrion hadn't been accused himself) and probably his primary objective of getting Tyrion into a situation where Oberyn fights The Mountain in order to defend him in a trial by combat. If Taena had testified after Oberyn had suggested he be Tyrion's champion, instead of before, that would have been even more circumstantial evidence for Oberyn's complicity.

I think she is spying for her husband, who wants to come back as the new hand,

It sounds very GRRM's style- she always laughts about him and says that he is so weak and stupid. Maybe she wants Cersei to underestimate him.

About Doran- he doesn't need a spy at court to know they want to kill Trystane. the dornish just attacked Mirsella, why won't they want to kill him?

He certainly mentions that they have a spy at court. Whilst it would be a logical assessment that the Lannisters (given their douchey personalities) would try and assassinate Trystane after Myrcella's mutilated ear, the fact that knew the precise details of the assassination plot points to a spy with intimate knowledge of or accesss to Cersei.

If Taena was working for Doran, then Oberyn probably knew about it, and perhaps ordered or suggested to Taena she testify against Tyrion. This would achieve 3 things: ingratiating her to Cersei, deflecting possible accusations toward Oberyn of being the poisoner (he told Tyrion he thought that was very likely, if Tyrion hadn't been accused himself) and probably his primary objective of getting Tyrion into a situation where Oberyn fights The Mountain in order to defend him in a trial by combat. If Taena had testified after Oberyn had suggested he be Tyrion's champion, instead of before, that would have been even more circumstantial evidence for Oberyn's complicity.

That's an interesting suggestion, and one I like. Oberyn had been a sellsword in the Free Cities and that is possibly how they met.

My belief is that if Taena is spying for the Martells, whilst she is paid, her primary motivation is one of relationships: she might be friends with Mellario, Lady Nym's Volantene mother, Oberyn etc.

She might be spying for Littlefinger or Varys for money.

I found it interesting that the Citadel did not take Taena captive for questioning. Though she does not strike me as the religious type.

I take it you mean the Faith? The citadel are in oldtown where the Maesters come from. Why would they care about Cersei and Taena?

I take it you mean the Faith? The citadel are in oldtown where the Maesters come from. Why would they care about Cersei and Taena?

I suppose Taena fled Kings Landing to avoid the Faith.

Actually, when does Doran mention "friends at court'? because if it is after Taena has fled then it can't be her....

• 7 months later...

Although it is a distinct possibility that Taena is spying for Doran, given his mention of a friend in court, Oberyn's past in Myr and her presumed knowledge of many of Cersei's plots, at first I though her an agent or ally of Varys. When first befriending Cersei, Taena makes mention of the false coin used by Olenna Tyrell so as to cast suspicion and implicate the Tyrells in the murder of Joffrey. If Rugen, the gaoler who left behind such a coin before vanishing, is indeed a disguise used by Varys this points to the careful sowing of distrust between the Lannisters and Tyrells so as to pave the way for a Targaryen uprising

Taena also misleadingly alludes to an incestuous relationship between Margaery and Loras which she would know to be false in light of Loras' homosexuality. Once again she is fuelling the fire of Cersei's personal vendetta to pit these two houses against one another, thereby weakening Tommen's rule

IMO, pretty much everyone. I think she likes to think of herself as kind of a sneakier, female version of Varys, telling everyone the secrets of everyone else, just enough to make them trust her. And I think it is going to end in a very grisly and distasteful way for her, because she is NOT Varys.

This

Tyena is spying for:

Euron? Lol no, speculation with shady basis at best. Improbable even. The virginity pirate link fails when recalling that the pirate only knew like seven or eight words of the common tounge.

Martells? What suggests this? Her looks? Bit Racist don't you think? Besides, her accent is explicitly stated to be that of the free cities.

And on the topic of the assasination of Trystane, Cersei thinks to herself in her POV that the kingsguard that went to Dorne to bring Myrcella back would have another purpose as well, true. But she never shares this with Taena.

The Faith, The Citadel or Varys? Possible, but again nothing suggests this.

The Tyrells/LF? Plausible. Cersei becomes double played thinking that she have a catspaw in Taena against Margaery when really she is the tool Marge uses to play Cersei into her demise. Her lies about Tyrion removes any blame from the Tyrells and might leave Sansa single which is a big win for LF.

Herself? By far the best possibility. Taena might have been working for whoever, what we know is that she is ambitious and finds herself in the middle of a power struggle between two queens. All she needs to do is to pit them against each other, and choose the winning side.

Archived