Taena, who is she spying for?

The Sleeper

Doran Martell makes the most sense. It also helps to explain how Doran knew about the plot concerning Trystane. It's precisely the kind of thing Cersei would have told Taena.

One of Taena's more curious actions, for me, occurred before she got in with Cersei. At Tyrion's trial, she testifies that she saw Tyrion drop something into Joffrey's chalice, which we know is a lie. Why lie? How does she benefit from Tyrion's execution? This makes me think she's working for someone who needed Tyrion convicted and dead--maybe Olenna/Margaery to sweep suspicion away from the Tyrells, or maybe Littlefinger?

This is the most compelling thing for me that makes me think that Taena is with Littlefinger. I can't see how it would help Varys too much if Tyrion lives or dies. That said, he is taking advantage of his escape rather nicely. Taena and Littlefinger? Given all of the schemes Varys has had pay off, it only makes sense that his chief rival is chugging along just as nicely.

• 5 months later...

TAEna is a Valyrian name, no? I suspect Illyrio, not Varys, is a descendant of some daughter of House Blackfyre. I believe Varys is his agent. Perhaps Taena has some relation to the Blackfyres? They can't all have silver hair and purple eyes. Jon doesn't. And Orton married her while he was exiled in Essos. His grandfather lost everything when Aerys Targaryen exiled him. Perhaps Orton fell in with the Golden Company or some fellow travelers? Perhaps they were introduced by Illyrio? Perhaps she's working for Illyrio and Varys? I never bought into Taena working for Doran. I think Varys tells Doran what Illyrio and Varys want him to know. And while she could be a double agent for House Tyrell against House...um...Baratheon-Lannister, she doesn't seem to worry about not hurting House Tyrell.

I think she has connections with all the major players, and gives each just enough information to make them believe she is theirs. That way if one of them falls, she is quickly able to distance herself (e.g. Cersei's fall from grace in the Sept of Baelor) and if one in particular gains overall power she will get her reward. I think she is playing a clever and dangerous game

The Grand Tyrell conspiracy more or less works under the premise that Taena is a Tyrell agent. I would point out that Taena doesn't begin ingratiating herself to Cersei until after the latter has had her first few confrontations with the Tyrells.

The Tyrells are the only faction I'm convinced Taena isn't working for. Cersei pretty much planned Margaery's framing with Taena. Even if Margaery is found innocent, the accusation alone could be highly damaging for the ever PR conscious Tyrells, to say nothing of a huge risk of being found guilty. Best I can tell, the accusation took Margaery by complete surprise. It only backfired when the High Septon realized he was getting a false confession and had the hutzpah to confine the real culprit. A weaker or stupider High Septon would have let Cersei have her kangroo court.

Taena seemed to generally want a feud to break the Lannister-Tyrell alliance, which the accusation would almost do guilty or innocent. Obviously, Varys and his plans to weaken the monarchy for Aegon the Maybe benefits. So does Littlefinger who is betting on Cersei being dead and out of power to pave the way for using Sansa openly.

I think she has connections with all the major players, and gives each just enough information to make them believe she is theirs. That way if one of them falls, she is quickly able to distance herself (e.g. Cersei's fall from grace in the Sept of Baelor) and if one in particular gains overall power she will get her reward. I think she is playing a clever and dangerous game

I agree.

The Tyrells are the only faction I'm convinced Taena isn't working for. Cersei pretty much planned Margaery's framing with Taena. Even if Margaery is found innocent, the accusation alone could be highly damaging for the ever PR conscious Tyrells, to say nothing of a huge risk of being found guilty. Best I can tell, the accusation took Margaery by complete surprise. It only backfired when the High Septon realized he was getting a false confession and had the hutzpah to confine the real culprit. A weaker or stupider High Septon would have let Cersei have her kangroo court.

I agree.

• 11 months later...

Archived