Newest whatcha drinkin thread

TheLoneliestMonk

Item 1: Bunratty's isn't actually mead. It's meade (note the terminal e) , which is a "mead-flavored beverage". Basically it's white wine with mead flavors added. No thank you.

Item 2: Chainbreaker is a "white IPA", or a witbier hopped like an IPA. It is not a pale ale.

Item 3: Bruichladdich's Octomore is the world's peatiest whisky, last I heard. Ardbeg says that it is, but the science does not bear this out.

Item 4: Helles is Munich's signature style of beer, though during Oktoberfest you might see marzen as if not more often. Weissbier should be a distant third or fourth, even with Paulaner's massive share of the hefeweiss market.

Item 3: Bruichladdich's Octomore is the world's peatiest whisky, last I heard. Ardbeg says that it is, but the science does not bear this out.

This. Octomore is a very low volume niche product, though, so Ardbeg can claim to be the peatiest volume expression. By the way, though Octomore costs a small fortune, circa three times the price of Ardbeg, Ardbeg is a fantastic, award-winning drink and Octomore tastes like shit. IMO, of course.

For Phenol PPM, IIRC Octomore does indeed win. Also, I really like it. Of course, I also really like Ardbeg, and for cost reasons, I have about 12 bottles of various Ardbegs, vs one of Octomore.

I'm making the slow migration from the beer rack to the whisky shelf as the weather gets cooler.

Well, I personally do not care for the peat, so until my spouse gets a bottle of something with less of it I'm sticking with the bourbon.

(Besides, bourbon wins backgammon, apparently, since I won all three games while drinking Basil Hayden and he lost all three games while drinking Ardbeg. Good times in the Stripe house drink whisky, with and without an "e," and play board games.)

I'll personally take a Laphroiag over the equivalent Ardbeg any day of the week, but yours is yours and mine is mine.

Depends on the Laphroaig, and the Ardbeg - I love the Quarter Cask, and my all time favorite scotch (I've bought about 5 bottles) is Laphroaig cask 3475 (bottled by Signatory), but the Alligator is also exquisite... Some days I want one, and some days another. Really, as long as it's not Compass Box, I can drink my way around the entire Island three times and find something to like in each of them.

I'm celebrating some good news with my 750ml bottle of Allagash Dubbel Reserve

Allagash Dubbel boasts a deep red color and a complex malty taste. The finish is dry with subtle hints of chocolate and nuts. The yeast asserts itself by lending a classic Belgian fruitiness.

Description: Belgian Style Dubbel ABV: 7%

Profile: Deep Red, Dry, Nutty

Serving Temperature: 40°-50°F

Availability: Year Round

Package: 12oz bottle, 750ml bottle, 5.17 gallon keg

Ideal Within: One Year

Food Pairings:

Beef Stew, Lamb, Brie, Rich Chocolate Desserts

That is so gross. Who's going to drink it? I would think it would appeal to college kids, and they can't afford it. Or at least I couldn't in college.

So, any Tequila/Mezcal experts here?

What is worth buying here? The Great Satan, aka Sweden's state owned liqour store. Prices are in SEK, so just divide by 7 to get approximate dollar prices.

I think there was a discussion about tequila here before, so I'll try looking thru the thread as well.

edit: for drinking straight, not for mixing.

Archived