Newest whatcha drinkin thread

TheLoneliestMonk

Right now: my cousin's xinomavro (greek wine)

Jon's Queen Consort, I'm a big fan of the blue label, but I'm talking about whiskey in the 20-25€ price range. :)

I see sorry my mistake. :stillsick:

I also enjoy Dimple, Chivas or Ballantine's at this price range.

There are some fantastic single malts in that price bracket. They have the added advantage of actually tasting of something. :P

What do you recommend? I'm always fond of trying new things. Please bear in mind I'd rather not go over 25€ for a bottle. :) I take you prefer single over blended?

Johnnie Walker Blue. Cheers :cheers:

You mean from the cask? If so yes.

I can't drink beers from cans. I just can't. It's like the fact that I only drink dark beer.

Do you have a keg at home or do you not drink beer at home?

What do you recommend? I'm always fond of trying new things. Please bear in mind I'd rather not go over 25€ for a bottle. :) I take you prefer single over blended?

I won't drink blended, not without a mixer anyway, though I've tried pretty much all the blends, including the full JW range.

I take back my comment, though. I've checked Portuguese whisky shops and single malt is really pricy. I'd assumed you could get things at roughly the same price as in France. I was very wrong.

If you're ever in duty free, though, I'd recommend a Highland Park or a Glenlivet, and maybe even a Glenmorangie as good, basic, unextreme malts to start you off. If you're feeling adventurous, try an Ardbeg or a Caol Ila for a peaty expression, or an Aberlour or Glenfarclas for a rich, sherried expression, though these will be pricier. Bowmore would be a good compromise.

Water for me. In the mornings, I have a new batch of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Kochere. It's great, very light and floral. I still cannot figure out how much sugar to put in it or how much cream, or if I should just drink it black on account of its lightness. A hint of sugar brings out complex notes, too much sugar kills it. A hint of cream makes it incredibly smooth and drinkable, more cream drowns out the flavors. Looking for that perfect balance.

• 3 weeks later...

Caol Ila

Drink this, O Ye Who Seek Whisky Advice, because it's fucking awesome.

Anyhow, as mentioned, I will be drinking beer this week. Unfortunately, Munich's favored style is apparently Weissbier, which isn't my favorite, but I'll try a few and compensate with dunkels.

Last weekend, one of my closest friends got married. When I moved to KY, I had visions of bringing a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle for the wedding... hahahahahaha. Anyway, I brought a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select (I think it was Batch 26 or 27, and I no longer have the bottle). It was spectacular. I'll be getting my name on a list for a bottle of Pappy's fall release, though (in NJ, though, I think I'd have to commit a murder to get on a list in Kentucky), and will crack that when another buddy gets back from Afghanistan this fall/winter.

Archived