Newest whatcha drinkin thread

TheLoneliestMonk

Heh heh heh. Knob.

I just downloaded a social beer tracker app for Android called Untapped. It also exists for the iWhatever. Seems pretty cool so far.

And tonight was a couple shots of Elijah Craig, a Russian River Consecration ($20 a bottle, and cheap at twice the price), a De Dolle Oerbier and a measure of Lagavulin 16 as a nightcap. I was going to shoehorn a 25oz bottle of Cigar City's Good Gourd in there, but it is a school night and that might not have been responsible.

Yards Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale.

It's, well, sprucey. A little too sprucey, if you ask me. Not terrible, but it has this Christmas tree aftertaste that I'm not really digging.

I'll switch to Blue Moon Abbey Ale shortly.

Hah! I dislike the current Spruce Ale because a couple of years back they toned down the recipe significantly, made it half as sprucey and twice as sweet. You would have haaaated the original, more-authentic version. Yard's is a quality brewery, though. They don't do anything too exciting, but their revolutionary war-era collection is interesting and their basic beers are solid, economical and good-tasting.

I think Campari has been replaced by Fernet-Branca for me. Anyone know any other bitter booze I should try?

If you like Campari, you should try Cynar. Same people make it, but it's much less citrusy and much more... artichokey. China (aka chinotto), Luxardo and Averna are also in that same class.

Of course, there are many things in the bitter aperitif / digestif family you can try if you haven't already. Pernod is a classic which I personally very much enjoy. Becherovka is beloved of most of my paternal family, though I can't stand it. I know Xray is partial to Riga Black Balsam. There's Jagermeister, of course, which despite having a strange popularity among the brodude crowd is actually pretty damn tasty if you go for that kind of thing, especially when at freezer temperature.

You don't get the variety of bitter here in the States that you do on the Continent, but pretty much anything with "Amaro" in the name is an italian bitter of some kind or another.

Ha, no I don't have that key on my computer...

Jägerbombs are a thing of beauty. Cannot get enough! In fact...off out for the night, so i can see a few more on the horizon...

good morning all... drinking tea this morning but the talk of drinks led me to see what beer is taking up space in the fridge. 1-blue point brewery winter ale 1-blue point brewery toxic sludge(a black ipa) 2-troegs brewery mad elf(made w/ cherries and honey) and 1-harviestoun old engine oil (a black ale). i have to make space for all the spring beers.

Archived