[spoilers]Season 2 set report in SciFiNow Magazine

Werthead

Info from the new issue of SciFiNow in the UK which has significant amounts of new info on the filming of Season 2 from a set report at the Paint Hall:

All of the major characters have two sets of each costume and piece of armour/weaponry. This is because they sometimes needed to fly actors from Dubrovnik back to Belfast to film at the Paint Hall and then rush them back again, and clearing costumes and weapons through customs is a nightmare.

There is a set of 'bone armour' featuring in S2 which will make 'readers of the books clap their hands in delight'.

Cersei has a set of ornamental and elegant, 'Valkyrie-like' armour.

HBO mocked up a section of King's Landing wall for the Blackwater. The wall is 20 metres away from a stretch of water, allowing skiffs full of soldiers to disembark under heavy arrow, ballistae and boiling oil fire from the walls.

The Blackwater battle will feature a very clever aquatic battering ram. Basically it's on a boat with rib-like supports sticking out the top. When the boat beaches, the soldiers unpack the battering ram, spin the boat upside down, reconnect the ram and then run it up to the gates with the hull of the boat acting as cover from missile fire. It's basically a medieval version of the landing craft from D-Day (my take, not the magazine's).

Season 2 is the 'season of battles, especially episode nine'. The crew built another ship at the Linen Mill Studio in Bainbridge. This ship is 140 feet long, 35 feet tall and has a 3oo-foot greenscreen surrounding it. The ship has a modular deck, which they can use as the cargo scow that takes Theon home but they they can lift on a whole new top deck to turn it into Stannis's flagship, including the addition of a 12-foot-tall stag's head with antlers as a figurehead.

The Eyrie set is still standing in the Paint Hall, despite not featuring at all for Season 2. It's too intricate to dismantle and store and they will need it for future seasons, so it's been left up.

A second, 'purpose-built' studio is being built next to the Paint Hall to help accomodate the needs of the series going into future seasons. The reporter repeats the rumour that Seasons 3 and 4 will be greenlighted and shot back-to-back to cover A STORM OF SWORDS.

One last bit of trivia: a musician in Kelly's Cellar, a pub in Belfast, enthusiastically relates to the reporter how Jason Momoa would come in with his guitar and jam with local musicians during the filming of Season 1 :)

That's pretty much it.

There is a set of 'bone armour' featuring in S2 which will make 'readers of the books clap their hands in delight'.

Rattleshirt!

I would take any of the spare costumes in a minute! Even Joffrey's. I would be his not-so-evil twin. Mostly not-so-evil.

Aquatic battering ram. Oh. How do I want to be in their place now.

Thanks.

Cersei has a set of ornamental and elegant, 'Valkyrie-like' armour.

So I'm guessing they've changed a few details here and she doesn't

plan on going out in a suicidal stroke with Sansa?

Still, not sure what good armor would do her in any case.

I don't like at all the idea of an armored Cersei. Her scenes with Sansa during the battle are way much better than any action she might see during the battle. I really can't see what are they trying here.

Regarding all the other issues reported, great stuff! I'm sure this seasone will still be better than the first.

I don't like at all the idea of an armored Cersei. Her scenes with Sansa during the battle are way much better than any action she might see during the battle. I really can't see what are they trying here.

I doubt she's not going to stay behind as in the books. Isn't it likely, and in the spirit of the books, that the armor is an ornamental Lannister thing that she'll don in order to give some epic inspirational speech to the troops, after which she'll go back to sipping wine in the inner sanctum?

I doubt she's not going to stay behind as in the books. Isn't it likely, and in the spirit of the books, that the armor is an ornamental Lannister thing that she'll don in order to give some epic inspirational speech to the troops, after which she'll go back to sipping wine in the inner sanctum?

Yeah, I'm sure it's something she just wears for safety, and they can tie it in to the fact that she's wearing because of the close call with the riot. I highly doubt they'll have her donning the armor and wielding a blade in defense of the city; that would be incredibly lame.

Love it, Love it, Love it. The fact that Rattleshirt is in this season, yet unannounced makes me feel better about the possibility of Ramsay and the Reed kids.

As far as Jason Momoa... I almost pray GRRM writes him back into the series, IDC if its ridiculous.

They need to just come out and say we approved season 3 and 4. BTW, Blackwater seems to be longer then just 16 minutes.

Love it, Love it, Love it. The fact that Rattleshirt is in this season, yet unannounced makes me feel better about the possibility of Ramsay and the Reed kids.

As far as Jason Momoa... I almost pray GRRM writes him back into the series, IDC if its ridiculous.

They need to just come out and say we approved season 3 and 4. BTW, Blackwater seems to be longer then just 16 minutes.

Wouldn't it be cool if GRRM reveals Drogo's long-lost identical twin Progo in TWOW? And maybe he'd be gay or already have a wife he loves, so Dany couldn't have a romance with him...Jason Momoa certainly did a great job as Drogo in the series.

The reporter repeats the rumour that Seasons 3 and 4 will be greenlighted and shot back-to-back to cover A STORM OF SWORDS.

Oh GODS, let it be true! 2 seasons to cover one book! We all know the cliffhanger for season 3.

Great news about the Blackwater Battle.

And I would love to see Cersei in armour. I think what people are forgetting here is that she's a Lannister, she's showy, and she wants to be like a man so she puts on a armour. Also, i am pretty sure it will be a ceremonial armour.

great news, especially about the second studio being built. That must mean seaons 3 and 4 and maybe even later ones are already considered a done deal by HBO.

I guess the almost 5,3 million clicks just for the season 2 trailer on youtube are also a pretty good argument - and let's not forget those are IN ADDITION to the original trailer on the HBO website!

Archived