Legend of Korra airdate! April 14 [SPOILERS]

Lian

[mod hat]

We have a long-standing and stringent standard against promotion of copyright violation on this board. If people wish to watch pirated copies of shows, books, and movies, they can find that how-to information from somewhere other than this board.

Don't do that again.

[/mod hat]

Caught the first episode. Pretty good, but I've decided to withhold watching more until at least the first twelve episodes have aired. TV.c om says the second episode airs on April 14th as well, so maybe it's more than 1 a week.

So 12 episodes for season 1, and then 14 more for the second season, but I don't know when that second season will air. And for the first season I don't know how many episodes they show per week. Maybe just one?

12 episodes is pretty brief considering the length of these episodes.

They're producing the second season now.

I think this is to head off the problems they had on Avatar. The third season and the last few episodes of the third season were delayed a lot when the animation fell behind schedule. By having a whole season in the bank ahead of them, they can ensure the seasons are released on a more predictable time schedule, even if there is another big delay (i.e. if Season 3 is greenlit after Season 1 airs, they can start work on it before they even start showing Season 2).

Guys - i think this might be relevant to your interests.

Congrats, Korra fans! You did it!

We announced KorraNation.com on March 14th, and just 1 week later, fans have successfully reached 100,000 new likes, shares and tweets. You know what that means? We’re rewarding fans by unlocking the first TWO episodes on KorraNation.com this Saturday, March 24th, weeks before airing on Nick.

We are so excited to let the most passionate Korra fanatics watch the premiere before anyone else. Thanks for making it happen!

-Team Korra

3/21/2012

http://korranation.tumblr.com/

The second episode was fantastic, even better than the first.

And seriously, the animation? Mindbogglingly good: The slow-mo bending, the cool angles, the complex motions, the tiny gestures... I'm getting an animation boner that I haven't had since, I dunno, the last Pixar/Disney/Ghibli film I've seen. Is this seriously on TV? On Nickelodeon?

The show uses music incredibly well. The score when Korra takes Naga out for a run on the snowy plains of the South Pole gave me goosebumps.

The writing is spot on for Tenzin's kids. They're hilarious, and they act exactly like children their age: "I will make no such promises," "Yeah, you're a terrible teacher daddy! [Goes on a tiny rampage]" Bolin's great, Mako seems like he could be pretty cool. Korra's constant pout and bright blue eyes are goddamn adorable. Tenzin acts serious (sort of Katara-ish), but deep down he's just as excitable as Aang. And Amon seems like a great villain (can't go wrong with Steve Blum), hope we get to see more than 2 seconds of him soon.

Honestly, the only complaint I have is that I don't want to wait a whole month to see a new episode.

So no spoilers it is then.

I like how with the rest of the "modern" setting, they changed the look of bending from traditional kung fu something more boxing/mma-ish.

Good point, i really hadn't considered that.

Anyway i realised what was off - the characters are alot more emphatic in this then the original. Tenzin's face goes red when he's angry, Korra acts with her whole body, etc. It makes the whole thing more childish; though maybe not nessecarily worse. I also just found out that this is being animated by a Korean studio and i guess this goes a long way to explaining the over-acting of emotions.

But apart from that i love pro-bending and i really really dig how Korra is a celebrity in a fairly modern world. I honestly love that Korra is almost the complete opposite of Aang. I just wish she had a stronger supporting cast then Mako or Bolin who, so far, really haven't clicked for me.

Its late and its coming through in my scatter brained writing so im off to bed now.

Anyway i realised what was off - the characters are alot more emphatic in this then the original. Tenzin's face goes red when he's angry, Korra acts with her whole body, etc. It makes the whole thing more childish; though maybe not nessecarily worse. I also just found out that this is being animated by a Korean studio and i guess this goes a long way to explaining the over-acting of emotions.

I remember a lot of that from the original series, actually. Not with Toph and Katara so much, but with Aang, especially early on, and with Sokka pretty much throughout.

More childish... you don't start off by having Zukko burning down villages, as well as the threat of a past genocide and a world war. They're also trying to establish about 7-10 different characters in the first couple episodes instead of 3-5. That and the lack of immediate conflict is going to affect the pacing and tone somewhat. I'm not sure what it'll be like down the line.

Yeah, the plot is a bit...not there. Really, I guess, the stakes seem very low compared to the original which had the giant fire-nation domination threat right off the bat. Here it's more like a day in the wacky life of Korra. She's more or less the only character we have any kind of arc for atm, though the Ferret brothers would-be rags to riches is getting there, I suppose, i'm just not all that interested in the sporting angle. (besides, it's still not as cool as the underground tournaments Toph used to do.)

I'm intrigued by the villain and the bending/no bending thing though (it never really came up in the old one, did it? There were a few non-bender characters and it was kind of no big deal becuase they seemed to have insane martial arts skillz anyway. Er, Mei Li and...Jet? Maybe?) will see where it goes.

And I agree with whoever mentioned the music - I particularly liked the jazzy music that always accompanies "Korra being rash".

I'm intrigued by the villain and the bending/no bending thing though (it never really came up in the old one, did it? There were a few non-bender characters and it was kind of no big deal becuase they seemed to have insane martial arts skillz anyway. Er, Mei Li and...Jet? Maybe?) will see where it goes.

Crackpot: it's Ozai. Aang took away his bending, and now he's using that to regain power and destroy Aang's legacy. He gets the added benefit of taking back the lands the Fire Nation conquered (at least I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Republic City was a former Fire Nation colony). Plus, it explains the mask-- he has to be one of the most wanted men in the world.

If it weren't for that age problem...

It's just exciting being back in this world again. I'm sure the plot will catch on as we go along, though I just have to admit that I don't think this is going to reach the heights of the Last Airbender series. I love how each episode starts btw, great music, great intro. Amazing for a modern day cartoon, it actually seems like it's possible for a modern day cartoon to not be frantic from start to finish. A time to breathe and consider what you see even.

Aang was often kind of ridiculous and annoying too, but he grew out of it. I think Korra's immaturity is a deliberate character trait, though Aang did have Soka and Katara as kind of half adult characters to bounce off. Korra seems to be surrounded by grimly serious adults in all directions which is putting a bit of a different vibe on the character dynamics, but I guess thats to be expected.

Archived