Legend of Korra airdate! April 14 [SPOILERS]

Lian

I'm intrigued by the villain and the bending/no bending thing though (it never really came up in the old one, did it? There were a few non-bender characters and it was kind of no big deal becuase they seemed to have insane martial arts skillz anyway. Er, Mei Li and...Jet? Maybe?) will see where it goes.

I figure it's an out-growth of the Republic society's technological advancement in the Avatarverse, plus abuses of bending by groups such as the Triad. In the past, there was a huge war going on, and the only way to fight the fire-benders was with other benders. Not to mention that most of the technology in the setting depended on bending as well (particularly in the Earth Kingdom).

Now, though, the setting has advanced so much that bending is becoming less and less necessary. It's not obsolete (water-benders can do some amazing healing, and Earth-benders are better than modern earth-digging equipment in many ways), but less necessary - and particularly so in the case of Fire-bending.

• 3 weeks later...

Very much enjoyed the first two episodes. I waited to watch the premiere so I could watch it with my daughter. She's a rabid Avatar fangirl, just not as big as me. Squeee. :P

I'm glad they managed to give us some inkling as to what happened to Team Avatar. Also glad that at least one of them was alive. Zuko is really the only main character we don't know about. Amused that they gave that fakeout on Zuko's mother. That and a few other things to find out: Who is Chief Bei Fong's father? I still bet that it is The Duke. Where did Tenzin's sky bison come from? That wasn't Appa, he called it Oogi. I actually thought he said boogie but looked it up.

I like that Korra is the opposite of Aang. Aang didn't like to fight, was a master of dodging and evading. He was spiritual and peace loving which is why he found it hard to earthbend since it's very physical. Aang was exactly like "the leaf". Korra loves to fight and is hot-headed so she is going to struggle with airbending.

The technology revolution makes sense. The Fire Nation was already an industrialized nation and under Zuko would share it's technology.

I really don't have any complaints. I was a little nervous about the series because the commercials were very kid-oriented. But that was how they were for the first series. I used to see them all the time and thought it was just another Dragon Ball Z kind of series. It wasn't until I was flipping channels and caught the end of the season 2 premiere. The scene where Uncle Iroh and Zuko cut off their top-knots and throw them into the stream imperssed me greatly and I had to try and get caught up with the series.

It aired this morning. I was a little surprised by that. I thought it would be a primetime premiere like they did with season 3 with A:TLA.

Another thing I liked was that the Order of the White Lotus had gone from a secret society to the watchers and protectors of the Avatar. It makes sense since their society transcended the Four Nations. I'd like to think there is a big statue of Uncle Iroh at Ba Sing Se. :)

I like Korra & the pro bending sport's stuff but not really feeling the show or the rest of the characters yet like I did with the air bender story line. I was really unhappy when I found out that story line was just dropped.

BTW How did Aang get married? I thought avatars were not allowed to get married or have families. Isn't that why Ang ran off when he found out he was the avatar?

Had to edit to correct spelling. :blushing:

I like Korra & the pro bending sport's stuff but not really feeling the show or the rest of the characters yet like I did with the air bender story line. I was really unhappy when I found out that story line was just dropped.

BTW How did Aang get married? I thought avatars were not allowed to get married or have families. Isn't that why Ang ran off when he found out he was the avatar?

Had to edit to correct spelling. :blushing:

Yeah Roku got married and had children. That was how Zuko was descended from him on his mother's side. Aang ran away because the monks wanted to separate him from Gyatso, his guardian. The other monks wanted Aang concentrating on advanced techniques because they feared a coming conflict in the world. Gyatso felt he was too young. So they ordered Aang to journey to one of the other Air Temples. He ran away instead and that saved his life because Sozin used to the comet to destroy the Air Nomads.

One change I noticed was that Korra was trained in fire at the South Pole. When Roku told his story to Aang, Roku journeyed to the other nations. One guess is security reasons after what happened with Aang. The White Lotus could better look after her in one place. The other reason being the unrest against benders. Chief Bei Fong certainly wasn't happy to see Korra. The Avatar sneaking to Republic City looks like it's going to kick over the hornet's nest.

eta: Speaking of Chief Bei Fong, that scene with her and Korra was great! Korra angrily returning the "watching you!" gesture was hilarious and the Chief's "wtf!" gesture was even better. This show still has the humor. AV Club said they were waiting for Korra to do Sokka"s "Water Tribe" whisper. :P

Thanks for answering me :) I better get out my old DVD's to refresh before I post here again. LOL I could have sworn avatar's couldn't marry!

I heard from my ex that the powers that be are thinking about letting MKS do another avatar movie. I know it's been scrapped a 1000 times but it would be nice if the movie was made and it filled in the 70yr gap. Has anyone else heard about this?

I liked it, the new city that on the outside looks peaceful but has trouble within. Technology and bending has advanced causing problems. From the previews, it looks like the anti benders can use electricity.

I liked it, the new city that on the outside looks peaceful but has trouble within. Technology and bending has advanced causing problems. From the previews, it looks like the anti benders can use electricity.

Yeah I saw that. With technological advancements, there should also be ones in weaponry. Electricity makes the most sense since it's the hardest thing to defend against. Firearms could be defended against by metalbenders, flame throwers by firebenders. In the original series only Iroh, Zuko, and Aang could re-direct lightning. Interesting to see if that technique has been passed down.

I really liked it. Korra is a great main character and a really atypical one in popular culture. I like Aang's son, the airbending grandkids, Katara's appearance and that they actually aren't stuck in technological stasis.

I'm not sure I like the jazz cacaphony music. I get what they're trying to do, but it doesn't get me just yet.

LOL I could have sworn avatar's couldn't marry

I had this impression as well, that they were supposed to be alone for the duration of their life, and that that is why Aang ran away.

Of course, the reason we may be thinking this is because this is exactly what is said to be the case, in Shyamalan's Last Airbender film.

Clearly this is not in line with the series cartoon canon.

I had this impression as well, that they were supposed to be alone for the duration of their life, and that that is why Aang ran away.

Of course, the reason we may be thinking this is because this is exactly what is said to be the case, in Shyamalan's Last Airbender film.

Clearly this is not in line with the series cartoon canon.

Roku married, and... Whatshisface had his wife's face stolen by Koh, so no, avatars can marry.

I just rewatched these on Nick.com. I especially enjoy that whenever Tenzin gets mad he turns on his heel and makes wind swirl his cloak. I can't say why I think it is so funny, but I definitely do. Something about how he pretends to be above conflict, but loves showing off too.

I'm not sure I like the jazz cacaphony music. I get what they're trying to do, but it doesn't get me just yet.

I found the jazz a little jarring at first but it grew on me really quickly. I got a major Cowboy Bebop vibe from it which is always a good thing.

so i'm guessing that whenever a bender marries another bender or another bender the kids are the same kind of bender as their father? but what about the 2 brothers, one is an earthbender and one is a firebender.

I suspect it's that, if children end up as benders, they can end up following the path of either parent dependent on their "nature," their personality etc. The two brothers are almost certainly the son of someone originally from the Fire Nation and someone from the Earth Nation. Not sure if their parents would have to be benders.

Archived