Legend of Korra airdate! April 14 [SPOILERS]

Lian

Yeah I saw that. With technological advancements, there should also be ones in weaponry. Electricity makes the most sense since it's the hardest thing to defend against. Firearms could be defended against by metalbenders, flame throwers by firebenders. In the original series only Iroh, Zuko, and Aang could re-direct lightning. Interesting to see if that technique has been passed down.

I wonder if the electrical attack they showed was bending or made by a battery or something like that, and could they bend/block it if it comes from a mechanical source? Something else I noticed, that there is a lot more intermingling of the different benders and their abilities. In the first series, the benders stayed mostly with their own talent. Water benders stayed with their tribe same with earth benders and fire benders. In this series we see them living and working together. That triad gang had water, fire and an earth bender. The bending games also has all three working together.

Not going to write up a big critique. Just gonna say : I LOVED IT!

I really liked that the non-bending (I guess) police used mechanical gadgetry to come down from the airship and chase along the highlines and roof tops like a bender would use their abilities to travel faster.

Babygirl (12) and I watched it together. She loved it as well.

Something else I noticed, that there is a lot more intermingling of the different benders and their abilities. In the first series, the benders stayed mostly with their own talent. Water benders stayed with their tribe same with earth benders and fire benders. In this series we see them living and working together. That triad gang had water, fire and an earth bender. The bending games also has all three working together.

I think this may be a Republic City thing. The map they show in the opening monologue still has Earth, Water, and Fire nations on it, with The Republic carved out as a shared space.

I really liked that the non-bending (I guess) police used mechanical gadgetry to come down from the airship and chase along the highlines and roof tops like a bender would use their abilities to travel faster.

I think these guys are metal-benders. Korra calls them out as such and they work for Toph's daughter.

I thought that maybe they'd learned to conduit electricity through their metal bending like a tazer the first time I watched it. The second time I paid a little more attention (my FREAKING SUHHHHH WEEEET had toned down a bit). It just looked more like an 'animation effect' of the metal-bending the cables, no electricity involved. I'll have to look at it again to be sure, though.

I about fell over when Katara said, "well, that's a long story..." and then got interrupted. I've been hoping to see like a 4 part miniseries on Zukko's mother.

I absolutely LOVED it. I even got a bit misty-eyed in a few places: Korra running Naga, Oogi flying down like Appa, Katara talking to Tanzin, Korra 'getting' the airbending steps and it looking sooo much like Aang.

They characterization was well done. In just a few moments you get the demeanor of each person easily without having to 'get used' to the characters.

I could babble all day long how much I enjoyed the first two episodes!

It may or may not measure up to Avatar:TLA, but it's got some good potential.

My only 'eh' point was Korra's first words. "I'm the Avatar! Deal with it!" Did not love. I'm still looking forward to the next episode!

My only 'eh' point was Korra's first words. "I'm the Avatar! Deal with it!" Did not love. I'm still looking forward to the next episode!

Yeah but her pot belly was pretty cute. She's doesn't have that anymore! Now she's a brick house. My daughter remarked, "She has big boobies." :lol:

I also love everything about korra from a character design standpoint. She's buff and practical, direct, emotional and cocky. She isn't perfect and does mess up. She has charm and innocence and longing. And is so very defined by her desire for freedom. She's a great counterpoint to Aang and katara.

Yeah but her pot belly was pretty cute. She's doesn't have that anymore! Now she's a brick house. My daughter remarked, "She has big boobies." :lol:

Ha! I can tell she hasn't seen that much anime-esque work, if she says Korra's are big!

Not to sound like a weirdo, though, but I realy like her character design. A little curvy, but corded with muscle, it's a very realisitc shape for someone of her upbringing and physicality.

Also, Janey Varney's voice=mega sexy.

This is probably a very redundant question but is it possible to watch this show without spoiler the last airbender? I only ask as i've yet to watch ATLA all the way through but at the same time like to be up to date with the new stuff as it's coming out. If it does spoil it, I guess i should wait and watch the original show - if it's as good as people say, it probably wont take me that long anyhow.

There will inevitably be spoilers for how Last Airbender ended yes. The first two episodes already contained references to that series which would spoil the ending of the first series, and more background will certainly be revealed in the remaining 10 episodes.

This is probably a very redundant question but is it possible to watch this show without spoiler the last airbender? I only ask as i've yet to watch ATLA all the way through but at the same time like to be up to date with the new stuff as it's coming out. If it does spoil it, I guess i should wait and watch the original show - if it's as good as people say, it probably wont take me that long anyhow.

The very beginning of Legend of Korra already tells you how AtLA ends, more or less, so it's a good idea to watch it first if you don't want to be spoiled at all. It doesn't take all that long to finish the original series anyway, since the episodes only last for about 20mn each (excepting finales and such). I actually watched Legend of Korra first, loved it (as shown by my current avatar) and then raced through the Last Airbender in just over a week and now I'm all up to date.

Awesome! So you're a new-ish fan! How did you learn about the series? word-of-mouth, ubiquitous advertisment, a sudden, unexplainablue curiosity?

I saw a lot people posting about Legend of Korra on Tumblr so when someone gave me a link to the first episode online I gave it a chance. After the 5 first minutes I was already hooked so I decided I'd give the original series a chance. I'd mostly ignored it before because I'd only heard about the movie version and how terrible it was. Knowing how great the animated series is I'll probably keep avoiding the movie for all time.

Knowing how great the animated series is I'll probably keep avoiding the movie for all time.

It depends on age on such. For my friends and I, it is always fun to drink a few beers with some selected favorite avatar episodes on netflix, then throw on the movie and play a drinking game. Whenever X does Y, drink. Whenever you feel disappointed, take a sip. 30 minutes in, everyone takes a shot for the cabbage man. Etc. So the movie has some redeeming qualities if you know how to make your own fun :cheers:

I saw a lot people posting about Legend of Korra on Tumblr so when someone gave me a link to the first episode online I gave it a chance. After the 5 first minutes I was already hooked so I decided I'd give the original series a chance. I'd mostly ignored it before because I'd only heard about the movie version and how terrible it was. Knowing how great the animated series is I'll probably keep avoiding the movie for all time.

Yeah, the movie is TERRIBLE and not reflective of the series at all.

Meh. I actually wasn't too impressed with the 3rd episode. Common lightning benders and the gang being defeated so easily just seemed to break consistency. Also i think the creators are pushing the sappy, lovey-dovey, will-they-won't-they thing way too hard. Maybe they have to because they have much fewer episodes to work with then in the last series. Apparently the shippers are already going crazy.

Not really seeing the shipping all that much, but i'm still kind of meh about the scale of the story even as i'm entertained by the episode on an immediate basis. Also, maybe it's just me, but the anti bending faction kind of have a point, no? Benders do seem to be the ruling class, in-world, and they're the narrative focus from a meta point of view. I've got underdog sympathy for the anti-bending crowd, I can't help it.

the gang being defeated so easily just seemed to break consistency.

I kind of like it in-universe. It (to me) matches the way Aang escaped capture by the Fire Nation so easily, namely no one knows how to fight air benders anymore. No one is ready for him to super sneeze at them etc. This is matched by Iroh escaping capture by steaming up his handcuffs. When the fire nation captures earth benders they have really specifically locked them on a floating platform miles from earth to bend etc.

So when the group encounters chi-blockers for the first time they just have no idea what to do. It wouldn't surprise me if they are more prepared next time, but the chi-blockers have tricks up their sleeve to handle the polar bear/dog.

I also am sympathetic to the anti-benders, especially the protester guy. Maybe not so much for the armed anti bender militia.

As for Sokka's son, I don't think we will see him. But that hobo in the bush in the park? He seemed like the grandson both Sokka and the Cabbage merchant haha.

Archived