You Win or You Die Exclusive Preview

Westeros

I loved this preview so much that I googled game of thrones stuff, and now I wish I hadn't.

It looks like Everyone's Favorite Prostitute just won't go away. I'm very disappointed that Ros is getting an expanded role in season 2. The bit about Ros is halfway down that article, so I'll just include the relevant quote here:

Ros was a waste of space in season 1 - I can think of at least ten things they could have spent more time on - and she'll be an even bigger waste of space in season 2, when the characters and storylines get so dispersed that a ten-hour season will barely cover everything, without the sex scenes. Not a fan of this decision.

I agree pretty much with everything you said and everyone else about Ros's character. K I've been trying to convert my friends and sisters to like the show or read the books, and when i finally coaxed my sisters to watch it, the only complaint about the show was literally the scene between ros and the other prostitute and Littlefinger (when he's telling everyone his story). Like it was ridiculously unnecessary and funny if anything. AND it distracted from Littlefinger's story which seriously is important considering the part he plays in entire series (Lysa and Brandon and Catlyn and all).

I want to vote her off the game of thrones! :pirate:

Agreed.

Except one sequence , in episode 10, Ros and Grand Maester Pycelle was a sexposition that advanced the plot and backstory by zero.

Actually that sequence is quite important. He gives some backstory about the madness of Aerys and also explains how he didn't appear mad in his youth. We then see that he is playing a game -- just like everyone else at court.

I don't really have a huge problem with Ros honestly. She's hardly my favorite character, and I honestly couldn't have cared less if she didn't come back for season two, but she definitely serves a purpose. Every scene she's in has revealed something about the characters or the lore of the world. While I agree that the infamous Littlefinger sexposition scene was over-the-top and just felt kinda tacky, it didn't make me hate the character.

This idea of Stannis "being under Mel's spell" is so laughable. People do not casually threaten to cut off the heads of people who are controlling and manipulating them with magical influence. Every single thing Stannis has done since the start of the books- building up forces on Dragonstone, taking Storm's End, attacking King's Landing, going to the Wall- all of these are done from his own free will, either his ideas or Davos's. Mel did nothing but help him to accomplish the goals he already had.

The only time he even came close to doing something just because Mel urged it was Edric Storm, and we can't know how far that would have actually gone without Davos's action.

I really hope the TV doesn't change Stannis into a R'hllor follower and a one-dimensional character. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Actually that sequence is quite important. He gives some backstory about the madness of Aerys and also explains how he didn't appear mad in his youth. We then see that he is playing a game -- just like everyone else at court.

Granted. I just think that interesting bit of information could have been conveyed with less wind.

2. Melisandre gives birth to two shadowbabies. If he didn't know what was going to happen the first time, he definitely knew about it the second time. We know that they continue to share a bed and a tent even after they stop making shadowbabies, so it's fair to assume that he likes sleeping with her.

Stannis is a hypocrite. It's a huge part of his character.

Who's to say Stannis links the two? It's not like he saw the birth of the shadowbaby or how Renly died. Why shouldn't he believe that it's R'hllor's will/fate taking action against a disloyal brother.

Well what "shocked" me the most was

Stannis and Mel kissing

I mean, wasn't he supposed to be an honourable, dutyful man who doesn't even allow whores in his lands? I wanna know how they're gonna explain that one...

i know, i felt the same thing!! by the way, i'm sorry but i just don't know how to put spoilers for what i wrote below: we know this probably happened due to the shadowbabies and mel talking in ADWD how now that stannis is gone she has little use for her bed, and when she tells davos the king's seed is weak or something of the sort... i am neutral regarding stannis and mel, but after watching the approach hbow is going to give them, i fear i may become a melisandre fan. it's odd seeing as stannis is honorable of course, but it will be cool to see his struggle with desire and duty...

Who's to say Stannis links the two? It's not like he saw the birth of the shadowbaby or how Renly died. Why shouldn't he believe that it's R'hllor's will/fate taking action against a disloyal brother.

This takes stanning to a whole new level. But whatever. My original point still stands, and it seems like you agree: Stannis willingly sleeps with Melisandre.

This takes stanning to a whole new level. But whatever. My original point still stands, and it seems like you agree: Stannis willingly sleeps with Melisandre.

It is pretty obvious to me that Mel has cast a spell on Stannis. This does not mean that she controls his every action or thought, but he does place her among his most trusted advisors for no real good reason. He sleeps with her even though it is against his nature. He wears her God's emblem even though it does him no good politically. He burns the Gods he was raised to believe in.

He is influenced by Mel's magic in my opinion.

Like his oath of fealty to the Targaryens? He helped usurp them, and now he will destroy anyone who does not bend the knee to him? Yeah... A hypocrite.

^this is really dumb.

that's the same as calling ned stark and jon arryn hypocrites. which really can't be said.

so. scrutinizing something doesn't make it true.

GRRM knows what he's doing.

i thought it was a nice little lead-on to next weekend, which i cannot wait for. eastbound and down + game of thrones, good shit.

I never got the Stannis-is-under-a-spell vibe while reading the books.

For me they are both using each other to achieve their goals (the Iron Throne, AA reborn prophecy), but Stannis is not anybody's bitch. And they're not ~in wuv~. HBO might portray steamy sex scene because sex sells etc, and you could think that lust might be a small factor on Stannis' part perhaps, but it is not a driving force. Melisandre loves her god above all else, Stannis loves his duty above all else. Anything else really pales in comparison and to simplify their relationship really does it a grave disservice.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Il7FT4p2jqE

New video, I can't start new topics so I'm putting it here :P

Yeah I noticed that last night, just a blip of some new images (and a few recycled ones).

If one collected all of Arya's quick cuts by now you might have five seconds worth!

Being as mysterious about her adventure as they are about Theon's .

GRRM knows what he's doing.

Yep, and he created interesting complicated character, who, like almost everyone, doesn't always practice what he preaches, and isn't always honest with himself, nor should you just take him on his word.

Second time Davos is commanded to bring Mel to where she can practice her black magic. I don't remember if Stannis made command but in any case I don't buy for a second that he's ignorant of all that or devoid of free will. That would be boring, for one.

Like his oath of fealty to the Targaryens? He helped usurp them, and now he will destroy anyone who does not bend the knee to him? Yeah... A hypocrite.

The is nothing unethical about renouncing an oath. Stannis didn't break his oath to the Targs. He let them know his grievances and then fought against them. Jaime Lannister broke his oath by stabbing Aerys in the back. There is a huge difference.

I would also like to add that I am a supporter of the Ros character on the show. It provides a narrative that wouldn't otherwise be available. I think that the inner most confessions to a prostitute angle is a perfect way to develop plot in this series. Plus, she is a fairly decent actor, and looks great without her clothes

There are also two interesting new vids:

One about the new sets (Pyke, Harrenhal, Craster's Keep, FOFM, Dragonstone, Qarth...)

One about the new faces!

Saw those two on this French site:

http://www.elbakin.n...hrones-saison-2

If one collected all of Arya's quick cuts by now you might have five seconds worth!

Being as mysterious about her adventure as they are about Theon's .

Because they are the two most interesting ones of the Season... as is Bran, and I think he's the PoV of Clash we had the less material about.

Those we had the most about are Tyrion, Dany and Catelyn.

There are also two interesting new vids:

One about the new sets (Pyke, Harrenhal, Craster's Keep, FOFM, Dragonstone, Qarth...)

One about the new faces!

Saw those two on this French site:

http://www.elbakin.n...hrones-saison-2

Because they are the two most interesting ones of the Season... as is Bran, and I think he's the PoV of Clash we had the less material about.

Those we had the most about are Tyrion, Dany and Catelyn.

Bran one of most interesting pov in the book ? I think you are trolling because the majority of people find his story boring as shit until Theon arrives .

No, I poorly formulate what I meant: I wanted to mean that his storyline is one of those we had the less material about, no more than a shot or two.

I agree, his story arc is kinda boring at first, unlike Arya and Theon who has the more fascinating ones.

This does not mean that she controls his every action or thought, but he does place her among his most trusted advisors for no real good reason.

This seems to be where the confusion arises regarding Stannis. He has a very good reason for giving her a chance. Few in Westeros are willing to support his claim and she seems to offer him the ability to take the throne. Its misleading to say she put a spell on him but she does convince him to allow her to help. I can see why people could interpret the latter as putting a spell on him but as I said, its not an accurate statement IMO.

There is no sign that Stannis and Mel are in love in the series. Or anything like that. Stannis still seems to be focused on what he believes is his rights.

I've nothing to add to the Stannis/Mel argument. I just wanna say that Emilia Clarke cleans up nice. I much prefer the dark hair over Dany's platinum locks. Too bad the Targs are so aryan.

Archived