Interview with Charles Dance, the Sequel

Westeros

Thronecast is almost upon us—following hard on the April 2nd premiere of Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic in the UK—and they’ve kindly allowed us to have the exclusive first look at some of their interviews from the press junket. We’ve already posted the interview with David Benioff and Dan Weiss, but lets follow that up to revisit with Charles Dance, aka Lord Tywin Lannister, whom we have recently interviewed ourselves.You’ll get a bit more information… including spoilers, both for the first three novels in the series and for this season, so don’t play the video if that’s a problem!

Visit the Site!

In the books doesn't Arya become Roose Bolton's servant? I wonder if they do the same but for Tywin.

I don't think that would work for the story. Tywin leaving > Weaselsoup > Roose taking over > Arya becomes Roose's servant > Arya escapes Harrenhal. Well, maybe she serves as Tywin's servant before he leaves.

No, I meant after he leaves. :lol:

Haha, I thought you were insinuating that Tywin would stay in Harrenhal and have Arya as his servant. My bad.

D&D said recently that they loved Dance's performance so much (and who wouldn't) that they had to give him more screen time , seems that is just what they have done.

I like the idea.

Dance liked Maisie, she has a actor's life ahead of her.

In the books doesn't Arya become Roose Bolton's servant? I wonder if they do the same but for Tywin.

That's what I was thinking. In the books she never has any interaction with Tywin, does she? I can't remember any. This makes me wonder how drastically they've changed the whole Harrenhal switcheroo thing (are there even going to be any Bloody Mummers? We haven't heard anything about them AFAIK). Maybe the it's being saved til next season and a lot of Arya's interaction with Roose is changed to be with Tywin. Which might not be bad, I've always thought those two were similar characters.

***spoiler for non book readers*****

Then does she not free the Northmen to take Harrenhall? That will take away the affect of the Boltons later in the story as they rise to prominence largely because Arya allowed their Lord to take Harrenhall.

Charles Dance is awesome. What a presence that man has.

Does this interview confirm the rumour of Tywin replacing Roose in Harrenhall, and Roose & Ramsay being merged into one character ?

No, I don't think it confirms anything. The writers probably want more Tywin scenes, which I'm grateful for, and putting him with Arya could make for some interesting ones. It doesn't have to change anything about Roose taking over since it could just play out before that.

***spoiler for non book readers*****

Then does she not free the Northmen to take Harrenhall? That will take away the affect of the Boltons later in the story as they rise to prominence largely because Arya allowed their Lord to take Harrenhall.

I doubt it very much, Arya's trick on Jaqen H'ghar is way too sweet to lose, besides they need "weasel soup" is the only real action zinger to be had at Harrenhall's story.

Many of them have read the books. Many of them have decided not to read past the season they're working on, for various reasons.

Actors who have read at least one book include John Bradley, Aidan Gillen, Emilia Clarke, Harry Lloyd, Kit Harington, Michelle Fairley, Peter Dinklage, Ron Donachie, Alfie Allen, the kids haven't necessarily read them themselves but their parents have and have informed them of bits (the same with Kristian's mum! He's not much of a reader!), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Iain Glen, Gethin Anthony, Finn Jones...

Really, it's a large proportion of the cast. Liam Cunningham (not much of a reader as well, he says), Charles Dance (would only go to the books if the scripts became bad and he wanted to find out why), and of course Lena Headey are the only confirmed non-readers that I can think of. Oh, and Carice van Houten says she has the books but hasn't started yet -- intimidated by the size.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched this interview several times. Talk about class!

Not at least disappointed he hasn't read the books. Just listen to him talking about Tywin - seems to me like he got the character perfectly already.

Did I interpret it right that Arya (and the audience) sees some deeper level of Tywin? Maybe that's why she doesn't say his name to Jaq'en...

They could pull it off.

I saw speculation at another site that Arya will become Tywin's cupbearer during her stay at Harrenhal, rather than Roose Bolton's. I'm assuming that's what Mr. Dance is referring to. Can't wait!

Archived