[Book Spoilers][Show Spoilers] I HAVE DRAGONS!

Favourite change ever.

The setup with the Spice Merchant was great. I personally didn't get why anyone would put up with her shit at this point and I'm glad HBO gave that plot a bit more balls.

If they do end up as being a prize at the end of the House of the Undying I doubt she'll learn anything.

Apart from her seeing a lot while inside.

I like Daeny but she needs to learn from her delusions. She doesn't seem to get that until she is shitting herself in aDoD in the book series. I think it could be a good thing for her character development in the show that might make her more enjoyable then she has been in the books. Makes sense in the show context as well considering how much more pathetic her khalasar is here.

i think it is the boldest and in my opinion best change from the books so far. I actually like the fact that all three dragons will be in the House of the Undying as opposed to just Drogon. Dany having to free her children adds a new dimension to her being a mother of dragons.

I missed Jorah on the show. Could he have a part in the theft?

So there was a change, I have read the books as they first came out back in the late 90s and first of the 2000s.. so it's a WHILE ago, just done with aDwD and I must admit I draw a blank here and there.

I didn't recall most of the things about Daenarys, especially in this episode. I am re-reading aCoK for safety, but it's going to take a while, can someone please here remind me what are the main changes in the Dany storyline?

I missed Jorah on the show. Could he have a part in the theft?

Not sure, but I have a feeling that the man carrying off the dragons is Ser Barristan Selmy, though, it would be a rather strange way to re-introduce him.

Intriguing change, I like it.

It always bothered me in the books how easy it would be for someone to take the dragons (pre-Slaver's Bay), yet no one ever did. This highlight's Dany vulnerability, and how weak the dragons actually are at this point as instruments of power.

Plus, it gives us book viewers something to bite our nails over too.

Not sure, but I have a feeling that the man carrying off the dragons is Ser Barristan Selmy, though, it would be a rather strange way to re-introduce him.

Hm, that would be strange. It would hardly fit the character. He left Westeros to serve the true king (or queen), so why would he seek to gain favour by stealing the dragons. I don't think it's Jorah either carrying the dragons, but what I gather from the Ep7 preview is that Dany is mad at him, maybe because he left the dragons so poorly guarded?

Since Doreah is missing, it would be obvious to suspect her. But then Dany send her away in the previous episode to sleep around. So Doreah could either have no part in the dragonapping at all, she could have been forced to help the perpetrators (threats, violence, magic), or she helped willingly seeking to gain from it herself. Personally, I'd only consider the second possibility.

I liked the change, really at this point Dany is a bit of a beggar queen; not until she follows some of Jorah's best advice, melts faces and gets an army is she really much of anything to be reckoned with especially on Essos.

I didn't even remember the Dragons ever being kidnapped -- but it's been a while and I read fast.

Can someone remind me what actually happened in the novels?

You all seem pretty ok with it -- so it's probably not bad -- lately though -- I think the series in the end will stand up best for people who don't read the novels.

Because for me right now, despite my problems with the novels -- i like them much better.

I liked this change; anything on the show that can surprise me without dramatically altering the story is good in my opinion (if one of the dragons was killed, I wouldn't be a fan of that). My first thought when I saw it though was "oh man, the board is gonna hate this".

I didn't even remember the Dragons ever being kidnapped -- but it's been a while and I read fast.

Can someone remind me what actually happened in the novels?

You all seem pretty ok with it -- so it's probably not bad -- lately though -- I think the series in the end will stand up best for people who don't read the novels.

Because for me right now, despite my problems with the novels -- i like them much better.

they don't

I am willing to give the change time to develop. But at the same time, in the books, Dany's development through the House of the Undying is fine; its not like I needed a kidnapping plot to keep me invested.

And everything they add on in this show means one more thing they have to take away in later episodes (or whole seasons). As stated before, the problem with the show is not acting, writing, dialog, character arc's etc- its time. There is a finite amount of time to get all the pertinent information out there. Therefore, every time the writers add something it has to be for a very good reason AND we have to be prepared for something else to be taken away. That's ultimately my issue: I like story building and I like creative direction, but I also want to be sure that the show will do what needs to be done.

Therefore, I am willing to let this plot play out. At the same time- there are other characters out there that I really do enjoy seeing and who tie in far more directly with the plot AND do not require whole-sale rewrites.

My first thought when I saw it though was "oh man, the board is gonna hate this".

Yet, Fez, like we said on the other topic, I hope most people here are more like of us, accepting small changes that do not drive the story into total different ways, and this tiny change is nothing really drasticly changing!

Nice idea... I was starting to believe Doreah betrayed, but your idea makes sense in the way that Dany will go to the Hotu to recover Viserion and Rhaegal with only Drogon on her shoulder.

I don't think anyone betrayed Dany here. She goes to the House of the Undying in the book and she'll also do so in the TV series. The difference being that they've given her a more obvious "enemy" now in the TV series. She'll likely find out that they took the dragons, she'll go there, they'll force her to drink the shade of the evening, she'll she the visions and then the dragons will burn the place down.

This way is just more dramatic and interesting than the events in the book.

Archived