GRRM Talks Season 3

Westeros

Strong Belwas is a must! Not only for the "WTF this old guy is a squire" mystery, but mainly for his fight outside the gates of Yunkai (i believe it was yunkai...). I mean he wipes his butt on the dead guys cloak! Classic GRRM.

Strong Belwas, seriously, he is one of the character that can easily be removed. Let Barristan takes his place in that battle.

Strong Belwas is a must! Not only for the "WTF this old guy is a squire" mystery, but mainly for his fight outside the gates of Yunkai (i believe it was yunkai...). I mean he wipes his butt on the dead guys cloak! Classic GRRM.

Just for your knowledge's sake, it was Mereen he pooped in front of. Yunkai was where Dany flipped all the sellswords to her side.

I'm happy with Theon having a role in S3. After the clusterfuck ending of his arc in S2, it's important that we get some closure... sooner rather than later. Something along these lines might do him justice, or catch him up to where he needs to be for S5:

My personal crackpot is that Theon will be brutalized/tortured by a guy in a suit of armour this season; specifically, a guy in a red helm. Some time later, a prisoner named "Reek" will be thrown in the cell with Theon, and they'll quickly become something akin to downtrodden friends; through their interactions, we'll learn that the Boltons trashed Winterfell and pinned it on the now-dead Ironborn. Reek finds a way to escape, and the two flee into the Bolton forests, getting split up along the way... only it's all a twisted game. "Reek" drops the charade, revealing himself as Bolton's sadistic bastard -- the very same guy who's been torturing him -- and brutally recaptures Theon in his shiny suit (and his hunting hounds) for the evuls. Something along those lines would perhaps lead nicely into his borderline-insanity when next we meet him, and even set up the Reek angle.

As a book purist, I will gloat that I never liked that scene, complained about it here, and was totally unsurprised to hear that D and D wrote it.

Likewise! I thought it was pointless willy-waving... and we all know Sandor would choke Bronn on his own guts, anyway.

I hope they don't do Barristan wiping his ass on cloacks anytime soon. Or I swear to good I'll never watch this series again.

Haha, they won't!

Since we know Daario is in, perhaps they'll shift things around a bit and bring Barristan in as HIS squire. Sorry, Perugo.

In case it wasn't clear, I was doing a bit from 30 Rock. IMO Belwas is ultimately an expendable character, though he would be fun. I'd rather they spend time getting Vargo's lisp right.

And moreover that he was thrilled and afraid of how it would turn out on TV... which for me, means he is not involved in it, neither in the writing nor in the directing or artistic decisions.

Would have liked him to write it for the security, since it is basically the defining scene of ASoIaF. But I think D&D can do a fine job provided they don't decide to take any "liberties".

The worst thing is the Greatjon's actor not returning. Is it known whether they are recasting him or will there simply not be a Greatjon?

The worst thing is the Greatjon's actor not returning. Is it known whether they are recasting him or will there simply not be a Greatjon?

The way I read it, he wasn't approached by the producers to return in S3. So I doubt they would recast the character.

Archived