GRRM Talks Season 3

Westeros

This is what his agent says, according to SpoilerTV.com:

"Sadly, when filming series 2 came about, Clive was pre booked to appear in another television series and was not free for the shooting dates for Game of Thrones as the dates clashed.

He has not been asked back for series three sadly."

The way I read it, he wasn't approached by the producers to return in S3. So I doubt they would recast the character.

Could be his agent was approached , but maybe that series he was in, White Van Man, is continuing. Or he has other conflict offers.

Makes one wonder about contracts on this show, all the seasoned actors , for instance Lena Headey has completed 3 films in 2011-2012 and is in pre production on 2 films in 2013. Peter Dinklage has completed 3 films and is involved with 3 upcoming movies.... and lord knows what stage productions he is in... So all old pros must have their contracts written around schedules. Now IMDB does not list Conleth Hill* as being in any films but he loves the stage from what I can find he seems in stage productions all over GB.

If this show goes the distance , we have major characters who are still with us for 3 maybe 4? seasons beyond 3!

So makes one wonder about the loss of important actor , I say that because D&D could kill em off, but that can have a major Butter Fly Effect on the narrative integrity of GRRM's story.

*At this late date someone has not even gotten a 'guerrilla' interview with Conleth Hill , who is so good in GOT.

The few interviews I have seen from long ago he was an amiable man.

I agree, we definitly need a Conleth Hill interview.

As for the major actors, they are under contract for many years, I dont think they'd break it except for extreme reasons...

Moreover, the shooting isnt much longer than an average movie... well, a little bit longer, but they still have plenty of time the rest of the year for other works... and the show is, for most of them, what brings them under the spots, so I really dont see any of them leaving abrupbtly.

I'm told Hill isn't much of a talker about his performances or his approach, which is largely just intuitive rather than the result of immersing himself in the source or deep research (this from someone who has interviewed him).

Moreover, the shooting isnt much longer than an average movie... well, a little bit longer, but they still have plenty of time the rest of the year for other works... and the show is, for most of them, what brings them under the spots, so I really dont see any of them leaving abrupbtly.

This, I think. Production may be 140 days for season 3, but its not like any of the actors are going to be needed for anything close to all that. As I mentioned in another thread, as of yesterday at least Dinklage was still in upstate New York for a stage production, and filming already been going on for what, 3 weeks now?

This, I think. Production may be 140 days for season 3, but its not like any of the actors are going to be needed for anything close to all that. As I mentioned in another thread, as of yesterday at least Dinklage was still in upstate New York for a stage production, and filming already been going on for what, 3 weeks now?

I was surprised that Iain Glen , when asked, said he spent almost a month on production in Season 2. I always wonder, are all interior set scenes set in Northern Ireland, because last season, it looked, as if all the 'East' scenes were in Croatia. In fact Glen even mentions being in a warm climate all the time. O well that still leaves Glen with 11 other months to work.

So I wonder if an individual actor spends more than about a month on set? There may be some 'orbiting' time , so make that maybe 6 weeks or at most 8 weeks.

Compare that to the nearly one year that the cast of The Hobbit had to spend (well maybe not all) on production for the two Hobbit films.

(I don't know if GOT does much , if any, pickup re-shooting?)

I was surprised that Iain Glen , when asked, said he spent almost a month on production in Season 2. I always wonder, are all interior set scenes set in Northern Ireland, because last season, it looked, as if all the 'East' scenes were in Croatia. In fact Glen even mentions being in a warm climate all the time. O well that still leaves Glen with 11 other months to work.

So I wonder if an individual actor spends more than about a month on set? There may be some 'orbiting' time , so make that maybe 6 weeks or at most 8 weeks.

Compare that to the nearly one year that the cast of The Hobbit had to spend (well maybe not all) on production for the two Hobbit films.

(I don't know if GOT does much , if any, pickup re-shooting?)

I know they do some ADR stuff after the shooting is over but i don't think they do any real filming after December when they wrapped it up .

Well, after December, all the time is dedicated to editing, mixing, special effects, promotion... they really cant afford adding new material at this moment. It's already a really tight scedhule to be ready for April.

The only thing I have to add, is that if Strong Belwas is not cast, and does not get to pull down his pants and crap towards the citywalls after defeating their champion I will be OFFENDED.

Seriously that was the grossest/funniest thing that I have ever read.

Well, after December, all the time is dedicated to editing, mixing, special effects, promotion... they really cant afford adding new material at this moment. It's already a really tight scedhule to be ready for April.

I agree about the tight schedule. Which makes me wonder why, in the case of SoS , which D&D have said they can only do as a two season production...if, maybe, hazy to me.... why HBO just does no flat commit to season 4? Do D&D have to wait on HBO , several episodes in, to ok a next season? Are the producers hands tied until HBO figures out if they have the resources? Or what ever it is HBO does in the decision process.

It's odd to hear of cast members signing 6 year contracts, and yet HBO does not seem to commit to anything but one season at a time. I guess the contracts , well I am almost sure, the contracts have a clause with a payoff if the series is canceled. I doubt anyone is paid up front and then has to give back money for unused time. So maybe it's not odd for TV production to be done this, a lot money must have gone down the drain when LUCK was chopped suddenly.

Anyway.

If HBO only green lights one season at a time and D&D have to wait for it I think they are put at a disadvantage.

I am conjecturing here.... this may have been part of the problem with season 2, which a lot of individual beautiful flowers of scenes, stitched together, alas, into ...well...so to speak... a briar patch(I excluded episode 9).

I am just trying to read the tea leaves here, but (and I know i am repeating myself) there just did not seem to have been a intense brain storming session of all the producers, writers and directors thinking through global assembly of season 2, especially when so much has to be done in 10 episodes. (Not that I did not think season 2 failed, I was entertained, but keep talking to my TV , end of episode, I say "with some imagination that could have been fixed, sigh.")

I am figuring D&D are or any major producer is on 'staff' and can proceed with overall planning and be paid for their work. On the other hand getting all post production on season 1 done probably took up to the last min. , so even knowing the material getting pre production done on season 2 gets(got?) jammed time wise.

My impression is that GOT has art and film production teams that work very efficiently ... I don't know, just an impression, that the visual narrative drama team is stressed and , well, under resourced.

That's just my impression.

I'm told Hill isn't much of a talker about his performances or his approach, which is largely just intuitive rather than the result of immersing himself in the source or deep research (this from someone who has interviewed him).

I never asked, were you the 'someone' who interviewed him?

What did he have to say , if that were the case?

Why HBO just does no flat commit to season 4?

I don't think any TV station commits to more than 1 season in advance (except for very rare exceptions). So I don't know why GoT would be different. But all shows do commit their main cast members to multi-year contracts even if they haven't guaranteed they'll make the show for all those years. Its standard operating procedure.

I don't see why it would make any difference anyhow. D&D can make each season under the assumption that another will follow. We have already been told that they work under that assumption. That a lot of work goes into the next season even before the season is greenlit.

And personally, I don't think there was a much of a problem with the overall plan of S2. There were mistakes made but it wasn't to the overall plan. By that I mean-anything that happens in S2 doesn't undermine events that are supposed to happen based on aSoS. And similarly, in S2 there was no gaping plotholes (ok...maybe how in the world Sam is going to survive but hopefully they have that plotted out).

Archived