GRRM Talks Season 3

Westeros

I am actually freaked out about too much Ramsay in Season 3. I do not want to see a season's worth of Theon being brutally tortured. Just reading the transcription of the supposed Ramsay/Theon audition scene (there is some doubt about it) honestly turned my stomach and every time I thought about it for the next two days, I felt sort of sick. I hope they don't go overboard.

There was just an audition video that some people thought might be for Ramsay, but it wasn't 100% sure.

I think that was a Ramsay and Kyra scene.

Ramsay, Mance, Daario and Vargo... the last big names we are awaiting, and in a way, Val, maybe.

I really hope we'll have Theon's torture scenes this season, like said above, it will be so visceral in the show and will really prove to the audience that Theon is not that evil, and did not deserve all the hate he received... and damn, seing Ramsay will be just... woaw !

I hate that Theon is included in season 3. I don't see the point in seeing a man being tortured. Do we really need to see how they cut his fingers one by one? It's for the gore? What kind of arch are they trying to depict here?

Everybody agrees that one of the problem of the show is that they cover too many locations and characters. But when they have the opportunity to leave aside Theon's storyline for a couple of seasons, they decide to invent an unneded plot. I'm afraid this will be another misstep by D&D.

I really see no problem in showing some more Theon. It all happened in the books, we just didn't get to have a pair of eyes on the scene. It can introduce Ramsay, explain the sack of Winterfell, show us the horrors of House Bolton and give us some background information about the North and her history.

If that can be shown in 3 or 4 scenes with Theon, I see no problem at all.

As much as i want to see Belwas right now i am more concerned about Barristan, i really hope they are able to get the actor back to reprise his role for season 3.

Almost no movie or TV series is shot in sequence (lord knows how they do the logistics for this but it been going on in the movie industry for nearly a 100 years now) so I suspect events in the east are being set up and filming has not been set up yet. One reason ,probability, Emilia Clarke was available for Comic Con.

I have not even heard that production has started in Croatia , everything seems concentrated in Northern Ireland, were, I am guessing most interior sets are ... and what ever exteriors need to be done.

We know the Iceland shooting is not for some while yet.

As far as I know the only new 'Easterner' I know of is Missandei, besides Belwas there is a whole slew of Eastern characters to be cast.

Been a lot of rumors that Ian McElhinney's agent has said he will be back for season three. Yeah Ser Barristan has an odd character arc in the novels, just when I had thought he was gone, George brings him back and makes him a much more prominent player than he even was in the first novel.

McElhinney is so identifiable, I sure hope this is true.

Strong Belwas is kind of an outrageous character (among a whole crew others!) and sort of comic , it's really hard to see D and D not casting him.

As someone speculated D and D will probably find Arstan is squiring for Belwas as ridiculous as I did. I count this as one of George's japes.

Some geezer , who is quick witted and in possession of grand master martial arts a squire to a probably illiterate former 'pit gladiator' , come George your pulling my leg!

As has been noted it's going to be impossible to disguise McElhinney enough to make us think he's somebody else.

I never understood this ruse anyway, since in the long run Dany finds out it is Selmy anyway, what was that about?

Also , I can't remember exactly would not have Ser Jorah spent enough time in Westeros to know who Selmy was , even in disguise?

That plot arc did not make much sense.

Well, Theon's mutilations are much more a part of Reek that Tyrion's nose is to Tyrion.

Sure, his lack of nose is an important element to Tyrion...

But everything Reek is, is defined by his torture, they have, there, to go really really far... and hiding some fingers and some good make-up is much less expansive than taking off a nose in every shot.

Episode 7 should have a lot of Arya/Hound material in it. I'm really looking forward to George writing that one, although I can't believe he's not writing the next episode. Perhaps too emotional for him.

As far as I know the only new 'Easterner' I know of is Missandei, besides Belwas there is a whole slew of Eastern characters to be cast.

Belwas will, almost assuredly, not be cast IMO. GRRM's comments make me even more certain about that.

As has been noted it's going to be impossible to disguise McElhinney enough to make us think he's somebody else.

Definitely true. I think they will attempt to make it clear to the audience that it is Barristan.

I never understood this ruse anyway, since in the long run Dany finds out it is Selmy anyway, what was that about?

Also , I can't remember exactly would not have Ser Jorah spent enough time in Westeros to know who Selmy was , even in disguise?

That plot arc did not make much sense.

The point? Well, he was attempting to see what kind of person Dany was. Don't think I know what you mean. Regarding Jorah recognizing him, it is unlikely that Jorah and Selmy would have spent any time together. It is likely that Jorah only saw him from a distance at tourneys and such. The disguise, paired with the unlikeliness (from Jorah's perspective) of it being Selmy, was enough to conceal his identity. Jorah knew something was off about him, but couldn't place it.

Well, Theon's mutilations are much more a part of Reek that Tyrion's nose is to Tyrion.

Sure, his lack of nose is an important element to Tyrion...

But everything Reek is, is defined by his torture, they have, there, to go really really far... and hiding some fingers and some good make-up is much less expansive than taking off a nose in every shot.

They need to go really far, they need to cut of fingers, flay him and take away some of this teeth. We, the viewers, need to feel sorry for him after the things he did.

Wait, so D and D wrote the Bronn and Hound scene in Blackwater? Will book purists retroactively not like that scene now? I jape.

As a book purist, I will gloat that I never liked that scene, complained about it here, and was totally unsurprised to hear that D and D wrote it.

Archived