Wert's Star Trek: The Next Generation rewatch (now in added HD!)

Werthead

303: The Survivors

The Enterprise responds to a distress signal from a Federation colony that has been obliterated by a hostile alien force. They find a single house still standing in the ashes of the world, with two frightened old people inside. Picard is bemused at how their house and the surrounding area was spared when the rest of the planet was annihilated. Odd occurences start to take place and Picard realises there is more going on than it first appears.

A fairly standard Star Trek premise is beefed up by great performances from guest cast John Anderson and Anne Haney. Anderson - a mentor to Jonathan Frakes earlier in his career - gives a gruff but humane performance which sparks off well against Patrick Stewart, who also does great work as Picard in this episode. You can sort of see where the story is going, but refreshingly so can Picard and the way he puts the clues together to reach the conclusion is really well-done (which does raise the question of why the Enterprise crew is fairly dim on other occasions). The ending is also unusually morally messy for TNG. A fair standard premise and storyline but one that is very well-executed.

304: Who Watches the Watchers?

The Enterprise crew relieve a group of scientists studying the development of a primitive humanoid race on a remote planet, but a series of malfunctions and accidents alerts the natives to the existence of the Federation observors, whom they come to believe are representatives of some god. With the Prime Directive in danger, Picard and the crew attempt to reverse the damage they have caused, only to make things much worse each time.

Prime Directive episodes usually make for tedious television, but this one is unusually well-done. The crew get to grips with the concept in a much deeper way than in most episodes and the way things get continuously worse makes for great tension. The ending is a bit corny, and the actors portraying the Mintakans are pretty tepid (including the normally-reliable Ray Wise), but overall this episode works better than its dull premise might sound. This episode also features a nice continuity nod when Picard receives a Mintaken tapestry, which consequently appears in his ready room in many subsequent episodes (and even several of the movies). It's also nice to have a nod to real stars in this episode, with the planet located in orbit around Mintaka, one of the stars in Orion's Belt. Obviously, later in the season we also get a mention of the real star system Wolf 359, so it might have been a thing they were doing in the third season.

305: The Bonding

One of the ship's archaeological crew (yes, the Enterprise has that, apparently) is killed on an away mission, leaving Worf (the commander of the mission) plagued by guilt. The death also weighs heavily on Wesley, who remembers the death of his own father. The crewmember's son is left an orphan by these events. However, his mother then mysteriously reappears on the ship, offering to take him 'home'. Shenanigans ensue.

Ronald D. Moore's first-ever script is an interesting study on death and the 24th Century's reaction to it. Apparently Roddenberry hated it, feeling that the crew would be trained and mentally strong enough to take it in their stride, even the woman's son, but Berman and Piller overruled him, feeling the script was good enought to warrant it. There's some great character development for Worf and Wesley, slightly undercut for Worf by the kid never appearing again or even being mentioned in the show. Though it's somewhat Star Trek-by-the-numbers, not helped by a bland performance from the kid, the resolution (where Picard wins a debate with the alien imposter with an actually intelligent argument) works reasonably well.

306: Booby Trap

The Enterprise enters an asteroid field where the last battle between two ancient alien races was fought. They find a battlecruiser belonging to one of the races, but they have inadvertently blundered into the same trap which reduced its power and killed the crew. With the Enterprise trapped with failing shields in the middle of a growing radioactive field, LaForge recreates the original propulsion labs where the Enterprise's warp drive was created on the holodeck, hoping to get a better insight into the trap.

A curious episode (and a historic one, the first Star Trek episode to be directed by a woman), blending together two elements that don't entirely mesh well. On the plus side, the main storyline is pretty tight and straightforward. Patrick Stewart gives, as usual, an excellent performance as his explorer/archaeologist side comes out as he visits the alien ship and pays homage to its brave, doomed crew, and later as the Enterprise is about to be destroyed and its survival depends on Picard's piloting skills. The Geordi subplot - he's useless with women and inadvertently falls in love with a holographic recreation of one of the Enterprise's design engineers - is also a potentially interesting idea (and the icky creepiness of this storyline is actually acknowledged in the Season 4 sequel to this episode, Galaxy's Child) but it doesn't entirely follow that Geordi would pursue this course of action in the middle of an emergency situation. It also raises the question of why he doesn't call on the holodeck programme every time in the future that the Enterprise risks destruction due to some warp problem. Still, reasonably tense with good performances all round.

There's some great character development for Worf and Wesley, slightly undercut for Worf by the kid never appearing again or even being mentioned in the show.

What happened to the kid was found a portal to an alternate Earth where the timeline was the pretty distant past or from a20th century perspective the not so distant future. He allied himself with a drug lord pedaling a mega drug called nuke. The kid really was damaged, he eagerly and ruthlessly took over the drug lord's empire when he was thought dead and then the kid died himself in the crossfire between the drug lord reborn as a nuke-addicted psychopathic cyborg and another law enforcement obsessed cyborg.

So that's why they never talk about the kid.

307: The Enemy

The Enterprise crew survey a barren Federation planet wracked by conveniently sensor and transport-scrambling storms, only to find a badly-injured Romulan officer. Whilst Dr. Crusher rushes to save the Romulan's life, Geordi is injured on the planet's surface and left behind...only to encounter another Romulan survivor. Crusher determines that the injured Romulan officer requires genetic material to live, and the only viable donor is Worf. At the same time, a Romulan warbird crosses the Neutral Zone to retrieve their shipwrecked comrades, forcing Picard into a dangerous game of brinkmanship.

An excellent, messy episode which balances traditional Trek values (Geordi and the second Romulan survivor have to overcome their mutual distrust and work together to survive) with a surprisingly bleak, cynical but realistic storyline in which Worf pointblank refuses to help save one of his enemies. Surprisingly, it was Piller and Berman themselves who pushed for this outcome, overriding even Michael Dorn's wishes that Worf back down and save his sworn foe. If that wasn't enough, we also have the first appearance of Romulan Commander Tomalak, played with subtlety and brilliance by the always-oustanding Andreas Katsulas. For once, it's the Romulan commander taking the sort of risk that Picard normally would for one of his crew and the comparisons between the two captains are well-played. Patrick Stewart has said many times that Katsulas was his favourite guest star on the show and it's a shame they didn't do more with the relationship (Tomalak would appear three more times, but in one of them he's a holographic simulation and in another he's part of an alternate timeline that never happened). Overall, an outstanding episode that mixes in traditional Trek with the messier moral stance of the later DS9, and works extremely well.

Wert. I remember watching The Enemy when I was in high school, as TNG was in syndication at the time. I was stunned that the episode didn't end with a grumpy, but grudgingly acquiescent Worf donating the required genetic material. It was one of the only times I recall TNG genuinely surprising me.

I always liked Romulan episodes, even more than Borg ones. Surely Borg were an amazing enemy (at least before they got a queen), and Best of Both worlds was the best ST episode, but Romulan episodes were consistently strong, full of intrigues and good plots.

It's odd, I know for a fact that I've seen all these episodes, but some absolutely don't ring a bell. If it weren't for the blu-rays being freaking expensive and the low quality of the first two seasons, I might almost be tempted to do a rewatch, too.

"Booby Trap" sets the stage for what is one of the most misogynistic TNG moments ever. When the actual Dr. Brahms comes aboard the Enterprise, she deals with Geordi in a strictly professional manner because, well, they've never met. Geordi, of course, thinks that because he worked with a holographic Brahms he knows the real one, and puts the moves on her the moment she steps out of the transporter room.

Things get even worse when Dr. Brahms discovers her holographic doppelganger. She's understandably freaked, but when she lets Geordi have it, he blames her for being so impersonal towards him. It's a classic case of an abuser placing blame on the victim. Admittedly, Geordi's not abusing Brahms, but the way he not only deflects responsibility for his creepiness but throws it back on Brahms maps pretty well to the abuser-victim relationship.

308: The Price

A stable wormhole is discovered leading to the remote Gamma Quadrant of the Galaxy. Several races, including the Federation and the Ferengi, negotiate over access to the wormhole, although the Enterprise crew are sceptical as no stable wormhole has ever been discovered. Riker and the representative of another race engage in a diplomatic game of poker to win the prize...and also the affections of Counsellor Troi. Meanwhile, the Enterprise and Ferengi ship dispatch scouts which reveal that the far terminus of the wormhole is unstable and constantly shifting location (they realise this after emerging in the Delta Quadrant rather than the expected Gamma). Although the Enterprise crew return safely, the Ferengi crew are left behind to a fate worse than death: a guest spot on Voyager seven years later. Riker's smug opposite number wins the game of diplomatic poker and gets the exploitation rights to the wormhole, only to discover they are worthless. Ha!

An episode which mixes a superior premise - the races competing for control of the wormhole - with the shittiest of shitty romantic plots. Matt McCoy - as Troi's love interest and the rival negotiator - is the blandest of bland 1980s Hollywood actors and has zero charisma in his role and zero chemistry with the other actors, making that entire chunk of the episode unwatchable. The wormhole stuff is more entertaining, especially the Ferengi's massive blunder, but it's let down by the other storyline.

309: The Vengeance Factor

Picard plays peacemaker between two factions of an alien race, unaware that there is a secret agent amongst one of the factors who has waited fifty years for vengeance.

Yawn. Star Trek-by-the-numbers. The aliens are by turns dull and silly (one of the two factions consists of a weak American cover version of a Scandanvian death metal band, going by their costumes, and appear to be led by British comedian Johnny Vegas), the Riker-as-Lothario schtick is boring and Picard doesn't have much to do. Altogether boring.

310: The Defector

A Romulan military offical defects to the Federation, bearing news that the Romulans have established a secret military base within easy striking range of multiple Federation worlds. With only days before the base becomes operational, Picard must decide if the information is reliable and if he is prepared to risk a war to stop the Romulans.

Thankfully, a great episode after two dull 'uns in a row. This is the Cuban Missile Crisis, Star Trek-style, complete with grim military conferences with admirals over subspace, the grilling of the defector (played excellently by James Sloyan) by Riker and Troi and numerous fine allusions to Henry V. Patrick Stewart is firing on all cylinders, having a hand in the creation of the episode for the first time: the original plan had been to structure the episode more like a mystery, with re-use of Data's Sherlock Holmes programme. However, the Arthur Conan Doyle estate had been unimpressed by the use of the character in the preceding season and withdrew permission to use him at the last minute. With filming about to start, Stewart suggested using Henry V instead and the cast and crew had to adapt the episode almost on the fly. Stewart even pulls double duty by also appearing uncredited - under very heavy make-up - as Michael Williams, a character from the play. Andreas Katsulas returns, surprisingly quickly, as Tomalak and the final confrontation between him and Picard is a lot of fun, with both commanders upping the stakes. All great stuff and well-played.

One of the things I love about season 3, and which The Booby Trap is a signature piece, is the outstanding music that accompanies the episodes. It's quite noticeable in the third season because many episodes go hand-in-hand with their music: Booby Trap, Defector, Best of Both Worlds. It's a shame that the music was dampened in following seasons, because without the score to accompany them, these episodes would have been poorer for it. What would BoBW have been without the terrifying music when we see Locutus?

"The Defector" has the most awesome underappreciated scene in all Star Trek franchise as far as I'm concerned. I think just being in a season full of outstanding episodes it gets lost.

I'll spoiler it just in case someone has never seen it or it's been a while and they've forgotten:

The decloaking of the Klingon Birds of Prey when Tomalak thinks he has Picard and the Federation checkmated.

It's up there with all the best moments of Trek but just doesn't get talked about as much, at least in my experience.

I agree about the music in season 3. But even more than the reveal of Locutus, I love the music when the Borg cube makes its first appearance in tBoBW. "Mr. Worf, inform Starfleet we have encountered...The Borg" The blend of orchestral music and choir chanting, it's a foreshadowing of the score during the Jedi battle in The Phantom Menace, only, you know, with a great story all around it as well.

I've always liked both "The Price" and "The Vengeance Factor", even though I agree that they're far from great (or even good) episodes (unlike "The Defector"). I think there's just a strength to the overall execution and productive values of season 3 that I enjoy them all the same. I enjoyed the bidding rivalry in "The Price" and, for whatever reason, the character of the Sovereign in "The Vengeance Factor". Yuta is sort of a throw-away, though, and Riker's "lothario" persona is actually pretty shocking if you haven't seen it much previously.

"The Defector" is a masterwork, though, and I'm glad that James Sloyan returned as different characters on both DS9 and Voyager. Great actor - I wish he'd been a semi-regular.

311: The Hunted

The Enterprise assesses a planet for Federation membership and agrees to help the government detain an escaped fugitive. The fugitive turns out to be extremely cunning and evades the Enterprise crew for some time before being apprehended. Troi discovers evidence that the fugitive and others like him have been mistreated by their government, who trained them to fight in a brutal war and discarded them afterwards.

A very strong episode, notable for its lengthy chase and action sequences. Jeff McCarthy is effective as the fugitive and James 'Zefram Cochrane' Cromwell is very good as the planet's prime minister. The allusions to the problems presented by returning war veterans are handled well (and of course remain topical). The episode is also fun for using the correct layout of the Enterprise to move the fugitive around, with the misdirection tactics he uses against the crew being both impressive and intelligent. The problem is that the action sequences go on for so long they leave little time for further moral examination of the conflict, and the ending (in which Picard and the Enterprise crew simply bug out in the midst of the negotiations) feels a little neat and rushed. Overall, however, a solid episode.

He beats Duros, and kicks a lot of arse in DS9. Where he also beats up Garak who puts up a good fight. Not to mention his epic gladiator battles against the Jem Hadar in the Dominion prison camp.

He beats Duros, and kicks a lot of arse in DS9. Where he also beats up Garak who puts up a good fight. Not to mention his epic gladiator battles against the Jem Hadar in the Dominion prison camp.

Yes, not bad for a guy with a beer gut! (Starfleet uniforms are never flattering!)

Archived