NFL Regular Season: The 2012 Edition

Mexal

To Chef...

Why you should be a Cowboys fan...

(edited for space)

here are thoughts of mine on the cowboys from last year:

i am not a huge nfl fan but i am full of unlimited hatred for 'america's team.'

this image fills me with joy and has me quietly giggling to myself as i whisper 'how 'bout them cowboys' and rub myself through my bathrobe.

Edited by MercenaryChef, 12 December 2011 - 09:59 AM.

Chef, there is nothing else you could do to make me properly hate you more, but if you root for the Cowboys it would be much worse. I wouldn't be able to respect you anymore. That would make me very sad.

fear not your respect for me is intact. though i would be more saddened if you stopped hating me.

• A strong, hungry D that made plenty of plays.

against tennessee, it is very easy to look that way.

And with all that said somehow the Eagles almost lost this game. Michael Vick amazingly had four INT’s of his own and his QB rating was 51.0 which is incredible because that means it was 10 times as high as Weeden’s. I just want to know when we can all accept the fact the Eagles their coaches and players are all very very bad.

all those facts sorta indicate that 21 of the eagles played fine. they can run and defend. if vick plays mediocre, they win that game easily

Don't lie anymore, you're Bill Simmons and that's that.

i didn't think his post was that bad. i didn't see a single reference to teams winning based on anecdotal stories of people meeting their quarterbacks in social settings.

Really stellar performance by RG3 yesterday. As an Eagles fan, I don't know whether to cheer him or root for his demise. You know what, I just hope he gets the stomach flu when it comes time to play against us. Other than that, it looks like McNabb might have been wrong about Kyle Shanahan's ability to adapt an offense for Griffin to work with. I really, really like this kid and I like the way he handles himself.

I think the Bountygate issues will haunt the Saints defense all season long, much more so than the offense. RG3 looks great, but New Orleans is going to make a lot of guys look great. But he is definitely as advertised.

I reiterate my previous belief that the Browns are a better team with Kyle Orton. I'd now say they'd be better with Tarvaris Jackson. The next great Browns QB is not on their roster. Actually, the next pretty good Browns QB is not on their roster. Colt McCoy still has a possibility to grow into 'adequate'. Brandon Weeden will never be even that. The sooner the Browns acknoweldge that and move on, the better for everyone. They are the leading candidates in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes.

What a season premiere by Bears !

Cutler started really bad, throwing interception for TD, got sacked, and threw 1/8. But he reacted brilliantly, and turned game on its had by the end of the 2'nd quorter. He finished game with respectful 21/35 333 yds, 2td, 1int. Passed brilliant 55 yards pass for TD in 4'th as well.

And what adition will Brendan Marshall prove to be. He and Cutler work so well together, and it aint surprising considering that they spent 3 productive years together at Denver.

Top pick from this year's draft Andrew Luck didn't do to bad, and I guess will prove as good NFL QB. He had almost the point by point same stats as Payton Menning in his debut game.

To Chef...

Why you should be a Cowboys fan...

The Dallas Cowboys are the premium team in the NFL. They are like the Yankees in baseball, and Manchester United in the Premiere league. Your access to games will be better for the Cowboys than any other team you pick unless you choose a local team. Just like the other teams that I named, the fan base is polarized. You either love them, or you hate them, but either way everyone has an opinion about them.

Unlike the Yanks and ManU, who just buy championships, Dallas has had close to two decades not being on the top, yet rarely are they at the bottom either. This means that you get to experience the gambit of emotions every year watching your team. One minute, you will witness some of the greatest throws by a QB, and the next, you will be lamenting an interception. You will see a defense that has arguably the best pass rusher in the game do amazing things, and you will be let down by a suspect secondary.

There is never a lack of news coverage for the Cowboys either. Almost every day of the year, someone will be reporting on them. and to seal the deal, If and when the Cowboys are ever NFL Champions again, the parties will be mind shattering.

Now, on to Michael Vick's bad game... I wish that I could have seen it. I have taught my dog to howl at the TV with me every time he gets hit.

Well if you WANT to burn in hell for all eternity, rooting for the Cowboys is certainly your best chance.

Cutler started really bad, throwing interception for TD, got sacked, and threw 1/8. But he reacted brilliantly, and turned game on its had by the end of the 2'nd quorter. He finished game with respectful 21/35 333 yds, 2td, 1int. Passed brilliant 55 yards pass for TD in 4'th as well.

Don't forget, though - Cutler's resurgence came immediately after Freeney went down with an ankle injury. The Bears OL is still awful.

There is no this team or that team. There is only Da Bears.

You're secretly Steve Rosenblum aren't you? :P

Don't forget, though - Cutler's resurgence came immediately after Freeney went down with an ankle injury. The Bears OL is still awful.

Regardless, it was inevitable that the Bears and Cutler would put that ship right before the end of the first half.

And I temper my excitement over a really solid win by remembering that there are no other options with the OLine on the Bears. The continued lack of depth on the OLine, the DLine and the Secondary continue to be the elephant in the room. Yet again, the Bears season hinges on no significant injuries to any of the major players. The new "big boy" offense is going to put up some serious numbers despite the Line if Jay is healthy. But that Defense remains suspect against serious offenses.

And (just for possum), even if they do make it through the season and into the playoffs, the biggest issue the Bears still have is that Lovie Smith is still the coach... ;)

It's not great or even good, but I forsee far more 2 or fewer sack games than 3 or more sack games this season. Hopefully.

And yes, had Freeney not gone down the game could have been much different. The Colts D was getting uber-amped and Freeney's injury just deflated them. But I don't think they could have gotten pressure all game, and their secondary was going to get exploited sooner or later.

You're secretly Steve Rosenblum aren't you? :P

I'm far too optimistic to be Rosendoom.

And (just for possum), even if they do make it through the season and into the playoffs, the biggest issue the Bears still have is that Lovie Smith is still the coach... ;)

So what you're saying is he should go ahead and retire now so they can start working on his Canton bust?

You guys are spoiled - Lovie is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I've been living in Chicago for 15 years now - the Bears' problems have always been with the GM/personnel, and not coaching. The Bears are consistently one of the best-prepared teams in the league - that's not to say he never makes mistakes, but the Bears are never out of a game because of coaching.

I'm in complete agreement. The Lovie hatred some Bears fans have is just mind-boggling. The guy can be counted on to make a boneheaded challenge or six every season, and his tendency to fall back into basic Prevent D when the team has any sort of lead is frustrating, but every single guy who has come through the Bears lockerroom has nothing but praise for Lovie. The defense plays one of the most basic schemes in all of football (though not as much as many think, they play basic Cover 2 only about 45% of the time) and are mostly successful with it because the players are incredibly well coached.

People too easily overlook the positives and hate him because he's stoic on the sidelines, and apparently if you are calm on the sidelines it means you don't care about the game of football. I actually had someone tell me this once, that Lovie doesn't care about football because he's not screaming and throwing fits on the sidelines.

New England is a Tywin Lannister type of evil.

There was once a post asking to compare NFL teams to SoIaF Houses and I said that the Lannisters were clearly the Patriots . I Said the reasons for this are pretty simple just like the Lannisters , the patriot success is not attributed to actually having better warriors or smarter leaders or from being more virtuous or worthy,but that the success is produced through scheming, trickery, and taking advantage of systems. The most obvious example of this is Bill Belichick and the fact that even when people are trying to speak complimentary of Belichick they will say things like he "schemes"really well. there is also a general feeling mostly out of spite mind you at the Lannisters somehow cheated to attain their success. Even such small things as rewarding certain houses for certain work is frowned upon. While the patriots "red wedding" is obviously "SpyGate", just like the Lannisters, the patriots are decried for even minor slights, most notably Belichick's inconsistency with shaking hands with opposing coaches after a game, the fact that the patriots hired the former Denver head coach before the playoffs started (and ended up playing the Broncos in the playoffs), and just recently signed Jake Ballard to roster even though he will almost certainly be on IR for the whole season.

People often decry Belichick much in the same way they decry Tywin Lannister for taking advantage of these unwritten rules, for scheming and for generally taking advantage of situations and people. He also had the whole team gang bang a chick one of his sons accidentally married. okay I made that last part up.

Tom Brady is clearly Jamie Lannister: he's incredibly talented, a terrible for on the battlefield, and has seemingly recovered fully from a pretty horrible injury.

And therefore, because Belichick and Brady and even to a degree Bob Kraft don't care about this image, they spend absolutely no time trying to fight and to some degree foster that feeling amongst the media. This is almost exactly the same manner that Tiwin Lannister takes in fostering the image of his house: we don't care what you think, and we know that drives you crazy. We're mean, ruthless, and probably not 100% above board, and there is not a God damned thing any of you can do about it. Because we always end up on top (or near enough as to not make any difference).

So yeah, the Patriots always pay their debts.

• Their #1 RB had 2.1 yards per carry, and his long was for 9. So, if you take out that 9 yard carry , he had 1.6 yards a carry. Wow.

who is also a monster who is going to wreck this league for years. Also had knee surgery 4 weeks ago, didnt play in the preseason, and shouldnt have played in this one.

yeah we will see how Terrible they are in a few weeks.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't get to read the original version of Rock's post, in which Belichick came out as "Bellatrix", among other things. Damn that auto-correct!

Or maybe it was just a case of Rock deciding not to mix in Harry Potter metaphors while he was going all Westerosi on us.

Archived