New England Conventions: Next up, Boskone 2/14/2014 (AKA The Best Valentine's Day EVER!)

Regina

Mr. Alchemist and I will be there. I talked to Drowned Dan at Arisia and he said he wasn't sure he could make it to Boskone this year but would try to come to the traditional Legal Seafood dinner.

See, sometimes I check the boards. Like, once every 3 years or so.

Mr. Alchemist and I will be there. I talked to Drowned Dan at Arisia and he said he wasn't sure he could make it to Boskone this year but would try to come to the traditional Legal Seafood dinner.

See, sometimes I check the boards. Like, once every 3 years or so.

So, how many login attempts did it take before you remembered your password? :P

(Also, see you this weekend!)

Um. I had to reset my password.

Ha, it's funny. You are one of the few people I see in real life more than I "see" online. Looking forward to this weekend!

Also, glad that DDP has been heard from , even if he is only able to attend the dinner Saturday night.

I'm sad I can't come this year. I hope you all have a fantastic time.

:crying: :frown5: :crying: I hope you'll be back next year!

Hey Boston people, I have an accommodation question. How far should I be looking for other hotels to stay at if I'm planning to attend the con on Saturday and whatever festivities are going on late on Saturday night?

My problem is that I waited to long to book a hotel. I was going to stay with my aunt in Cambridge (right over the Longfellow Bridge on the water; easy to get to), but she may not be in town this weekend (something came up). Another friend who lives near Tufts hasn't got back to me yet. My other friends live in the burbs. So I'm checking hotel prices near the Convention Center and they're all in the $250+ range, which is a little steep for me. There are lower prices near the airport (e.g., Embassy Suites is about $120). I'm not familiar with how hard/easy it is to get to and from the Westin to airport-area hotels late at night, although the distances are around 1.2-1.5 miles, which seems reasonable enough. I guess I'd take the T or a taxi if it's very late.

I also don't mind staying at budget-type hotels like Embassy or Holiday Inn Express, etc. I'll also be taking a Greyhound into town (coming into South Stn), so staying near the airport has no advantages besides price.

What should I do? Stay near the airport and save $100 or suck it up and stay near the Westin or downtown? For example, here are some prices I'm finding on kayak.com:

Hilton Airport: $205

Courtyard Airport: $148

Embassy Suites Airport $120 (that was yesterday; not showing up today)

Club Quarters Downtown: $262

Doubletree Downtown: $257

Hyatt Harborside: $181

ETA: If any of you fence-sitters are still thinking about going and want to share a room, that would be the ideal way to go for me.

Staying at the airport (or the Harborside, which is pretty much at the airport) would be very easy for getting to the con during the day (the Silver Line T goes right from the Logan to World Trade Center, which is where the con hotel is), though not great for getting back at night via public transit (last Silver Line is 12:30 am). Can't imagine that a taxi would be too ridiculous, but I have taken taxis in Boston maybe three times in my life (not counting the BWB trips from the Westin to the Legal Seafood by the Aquarium), so I'm not the best to ask about that.

I'm guessing that from the Harborside you could take the shuttle bus from the ferry terminal to Logan and then jump on the Silver line. Or take whatever airport shuttle the hotel provides.

BOSKONE!!!!1111!!!!!

Um, hi. I'm a little excited. :drunk:

Just a heads up: Fenryng and I are taking tomorrow off to do some stuff on the way, but hope to be at the hotel sometime in the mid afternoon (3-4ish?). If I have given you my cell phone number in the past, it has not changed.

*runs around in circles, arms flailing*

Hey, gang. I will most definitly be dropping by on Saturday for at least the party and hopefully a reading or two. Never been to a Boskone. I generally like smaller gatherings.

Anyone with the official food and beverage schedule is welcome to pm me or Facebook. I do have a few Maine brews on hand but if you need anything I will try to grab it.

So, I'm booked at the Hyatt Harborside. I managed to get a decent rate after all. I was planning to leave early Saturday morning, but the first bus from NYC doesn't arrive in Boston until 11:20am. Looks like I'll miss the signing, but I guess I can make the reading in the afternoon and definitely dinner and festivities at night.

Looking forward to see you all there.

So I'm hosting three friends this weekend and we'll all be around the convention mostly Saturday. From what I've been told it sounds like Saturday best day of the convention (typically) so we're all going to be around from that morning to night. I'm not sure how this will affect my ability to go to the Legal Seafood dinner... No matter I'm excited to see the BwB again!

Excellent news, both! Although bummer that you're going to miss the signing, Naz.

We have dinner reservations at 8pm on Saturday. Unfortunately, it's at our regular Legal and not the new one that just opened up near the hotel. In no surprise whatsoever, they were booked pretty solid on Saturday night. :lol:

The only thing that surprises me is that, for the first time in BWB Boskone history, we actually made a dining reservation in advance. Remind me next year to start calling the local one TWO weeks out, since even a week+ was not enough time, lol.

Archived