New England Conventions: Next up, Boskone 2/14/2014 (AKA The Best Valentine's Day EVER!)

Regina

Skipping ahead to Boskone '14 - this is over the weekend of our sons 2nd birthday. that does not preclude us from going, but it may be difficult getting a viable ID for him...he's cute, but can't grow a beard yet.

Right now my plan is actually to get the little guy there for a portion of it so he can meet some of the bad influences in his papa's life.

Skipping ahead to Boskone '14 - this is over the weekend of our sons 2nd birthday. that does not preclude us from going, but it may be difficult getting a viable ID for him...he's cute, but can't grow a beard yet.

Right now my plan is actually to get the little guy there for a portion of it so he can meet some of the bad influences in his papa's life.

GW--You and your family need to get back to a Boskone soon! But who are these bad influences of which you speak? I know it isn't the Bros... *innocent look*

I've updated this thread to reflect the fact that BOSKONE is coming. Yeah, so is winter, but BOSKONE is much more imporant.

I'd also like to point out that it kicks off on Valentine's Day this year. Trust me, if you have never spent it at a geek convention you have never truly experienced a proper Valentine's Day.

In any case, if you can't make it to Loncon, or simply can't wait until then for a dose of BWB goodness (and who could blame you?) consider the delights of Boston in February! Okay, Boston in February is not that delightful, but the local Bros more than make up for it. We will spoil you with seafood and homebrew and maybe even a furry hunt!

• 1 month later...

GW--You and your family need to get back to a Boskone soon! But who are these bad influences of which you speak? I know it isn't the Bros... *innocent look*

We will spoil you with seafood and homebrew and maybe even a furry hunt!

Do we get to keep their pelts?

Boskone basically ends up being a giant relaxacon for the BWB. That said, it doesn't have the same vibe as WC. In particular, the room-party situation has deteriorated -- a couple of groups have parties, but they're not like what you see at WC. We usually just end up drinking in our room (cheaper and we don't have to worry about all the things that come with throwing a regular room party).

If you, like myself, just really want a chance to hang out with the other bros, Boskone is the best. As Xray said, it's more chill. I like it, because it is so much easier to talk to other people when it's a small group hanging out in our hotel room or a bar.

GW-as far as I am concerned, if you hunt down a furry the pelt is rightfully yours.

Also, I am seeing some really cheap flights. In particular, any of you who live in a city served by Southwest could likely get here on the cheap.

Though Xray and Regina have mentioned the high chill factor at Boskone, it should be noted this doesn't mean boring. Apparently every year at least one of the Bros has managed to leave behind a wake of vomit induced by one simply not being used to such awesome company. It's tradition I think.

Bookwyrm makes an excellent point. We are chill in that we aren't running parties, but we always find plenty of ways to have fun.

And yes, at least one person ends up worshipping the Porcelain Gods. But it's worth it!

Ooo, I'll have to consult the King of Scotch for this one. He works in the food industry, so a lot of the major holidays are busy for him, but I'd love it if we were able to make the con! I have a few Boston-area couches I can crash on. I'd be down to carpool with any other New Jersey or New York BWBs if we make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived