Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

• 3 weeks later...

And now it's time for my Favorite 2012 releases. They are roughly organized into format. If you're especially curious about a release, ask away. I'll tell you what I know about it and where to pick it up.

Albums

Aksumite -- Prideless Lions

Aura Noir -- Out To Die

Behexen -- Nightside Emanations

Charon -- Sulphur Seraph

Christian Mistress -- Possession

Dawnbringer -- Into the Lair of the Sun God

Dead Can Dance -- Anastasis

Dephosphorous -- Night Sky Transform

Faustcoven -- Hellfire and Funeral Bells

Hades Archer -- The Curse Over Mankind

Horrendous -- The Chills

Indesinence -- Vessels of Light and Decay

MGLA -- With Hearts Toward None

Mok -- Mokamorphosis

Pseudogod -- Deathwomb Catechesis

Satan's Satyrs -- Wild Beyond Belief!

Svartidauti -- Flesh Cathedral

Wormlust -- Collective

Zuul -- To The Frontlines!

EPs/Demos/Splits/Etc

Agatus - Gilgamesh 7"

Antediluvian/Adversarial -- Initiated in Impieties as Mysteries split 12"

Antimelodix -- Hellfuck EP

Funebrarum/Undergang -- The Dead of Winter split 7"

Genocide Shrines -- Devanation Monumentemples EP

Hatespawn -- Blasphemous Redeemer demo

Impious Baptism -- Path of the Inverted Trinity 7"

Innsmouth/Mongrel's Cross -- split 7"

Ohmwar -- 5 Song, 11 Minute EP 7"

Ravens Creed -- Nestless and Wild 7" EP

Thevetat -- demo CD

So, for those (looking at you, MC) who like Ancient Metal ov Death, check out: Thevetat, Charon, Funebrarum/Undergang, Horrendous, Hatespawn, Indesinence and possibly Genocide Shrines and Hades Archer.

For those who love a good rock n roll record, buy that Zuul album now. Follow it up with Christian Mistress and Dawnbringer (concept album!)

Like your music with punk influence (or is outright punk/hardcore)? Aksumite, Antimelodix and Ohmwar are all top-notch. Mok and Dephosphorus bring rockin' times.

Want to get your Venom on? Ravens Creed

Wish you were buried by a ton of ice, rocks and the blood of ancients? Antediluvian/Adversarial split, Pseudogod, Innsmoth/Mongrel's Cross, Impious Baptism, Genocide Shrines and Indesinence.

Pretty Pretty? Dead Can Dance

Best black metal (mostly of the orthodox style) -- MGLA (in contention for album of the year for me), Wormlust, Svartidauti, Agatus.

Want some doom? Faustcoven, Indesinence

Jump in the circlepit for Satan! Aura Noir

Scuzz metal best accompanied by a lot of weed and whiskey (and possibly a fist-fight at dawn): Satan's Satyrs

Fair Warning, you scurvy dogs. June 28-30, 2013 -- Martyrdoom II. Lineup not yet announced, but last year was a tour de force of crushing death metal: Cruciamentum, Evoken, Prosanctus Inferi, Sanguis Imperem, Grave Miasma, Dead Congregation, Encoffination, Father Befouled, Kommandant, Perdition Temple and a couple of others. That was a single day. Next year, it's three full days and, according to reports, 33 bands.

Invest in a neck brace and a lot of pain killers.

Fair Warning, you scurvy dogs. June 28-30, 2013 -- Martyrdoom II. Lineup not yet announced, but last year was a tour de force of crushing death metal: Cruciamentum, Evoken, Prosanctus Inferi, Sanguis Imperem, Grave Miasma, Dead Congregation, Encoffination, Father Befouled, Kommandant, Perdition Temple and a couple of others. That was a single day. Next year, it's three full days and, according to reports, 33 bands.

Invest in a neck brace and a lot of pain killers.

wow. that sounds like a really black time. sadly, mdf will be my outing.

in other metal...

today i listened to the entire works of 3 inches of blood in order. many people don't like them. but, god damn i do.

• 4 weeks later...

So there's a new Voivod album out now and it's pretty damn good. New guitarist Chewie fills Piggy's spot rather admirably. Lots of good trashy, staccato, cyber metal on the album. It's up on Spotify for anyone who has that and wants to give it a listen: here.

I heard the first released song about a month ago, "Mechanical Mind" and that pretty much convinced me to preorder it. I'm listening on Spotify as I wait for my copy to arrive. :)

New Amorphis album is out on April 19th! I can't wait, all the Tomi Joutsen albums have been awesome so I have no doubts about this one.

Apparently there's a new Kvelertak album coming out sometime soon. The new song isn't fighting against my favorites from the first album, but it's pretty good.

Man, I have gone pretty far down the doom/stoner metal rabbit hole. Except at the gym, where cardio requires faster-paced metal, I have listened to little else for a good 9 months now.

Today I listened to Om for four hours and I am not sure where my body is right now.

For those who love old-school heavy metal, check out the new Enforcer (what can I say, it's a proper band name! ;) ), which is streaming live here:

http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/01/29/terrorizer-exclusive-stream-the-new-enforcer-album/

Track 2 (really the first song on the album) just destroys in metal-anthem glory. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the album itself.

EXACTLY. WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD BE MAKING PLANS TO SEE SLEEP AT MDF YOU SCURVY OTTERIAN MOTHERFUCKER.

I would love to, if it were a couple months later I could probably make it, but I'll be in the middle of my MSc project. :frown5: I imagine a triumphant return to America after this summer so hopefully I can make it in 2014.

One more note on Om. An Om video had one of my favorite youtube comments of all time in this:

"
....OMFG....like having your astral body shot through the stratosphere by some form of spiritual howitzer."

:lol:

Youtube comments are so generally horrible that I love those rare times when I read one and know that meeting the person on the other side of the screen could not possibly be anything other than a delight.

Archived