How much "blood of the dragon" does Dany really have?

Magic 8 Ball

:agree: :bowdown:

I once read a book about Monsters and there was an explanation how firebreathing could work: Dragon eats phosphorous Stone -> Stone gets dissolved in Dragons Stomach -> Dragon breathes out the gases that are in his stomach, gases react with the Oxygen and boom, Fire. But that clearly isn´t the case with Dany´s Dragons so as always: Magic!

There was a fake documentary that did the same thing a while back, it involved the dragons eating platinum.

because he knows the whole tree ;) He isn´t the King o` the Board for nothing ^_^

Sure, I know he's king o' the board and all, the reason I asked the question is that if she were really to have more than 5% Valyrian blood, that would entail some really juicy heretofore unknown history, because that is what it would require to get her dragon blood levels that high!

Given that Robert's children all had black hair and blue eyes -- every single one of them -- I think we can safely say that, yes, the passing of Valyrian looks and the ability to be a dragonrider is also a magical thing. Genetics in the series does not correspond very much to genetics in our world. Martin has said as much

One might realistically say that Dany has just 5% Valyrian blood or something (not, in fact, true -- it's rather higher than that) but all the important traits that make her a throwback to the Targaryens of old remain in place, and for all intents and purposes she is basically 100% Valyrian. So long as the Targaryens get infusions of significant Valyrian/Targaryen blood from the maternal line every couple of generations, it appears to make the Valyrian genes come out in full force.

Dany has 'it' where it counts, much like the Millenium Falcon. Unlike the MF, Dany also looks good. ;)

Female rider = male dragon

Aegon I and Balerion. Sorry, it looks like your genetics doesn't work.

Wait a minute since you so elegantly pointed out this is a fantasy world. I'll try and explain how incest possibly made them weaker.

1. Dragon eggs became more difficult to hatch, or else they probably wouldn't have died out.

2. Blood of the dragon was tied to the fire(power) of the dragon. Fire and Blood.

That's about as far as I think I'll go.

*This is a guess I have not bothered to actually go back and look at Aemon's actual words on the subject

I agree with this.

"Madness" might be attributed to the loss of dragons, not to incest. Desire to have dragons again screwed up the last Targ generations.

If Brown Ben Plumm has enough for Dany's dragons to favor him, then Dany defnitely has enough.

Besides it's not a case of %, it's not like the Targs were actually sired from dragons, it's more likely a recessive gene or mutation they carry but not all manifest (Viserys v Dany).

I give some credence to the idea that there's some dragon in the Targaryen background. Something very odd was going on, anyways.

It seems like you are saying that at one point Targaryens literally bred with dragons. Can you expand on this? Are we to also assume that Lannisters copulated with lions, Starks with wolves, Mormonts with bears, and so on? Just seems rather very odd.

She doesn't burn, so even if biologically she has none, psychologically she has 100%. As it relates to her life I think this is what matters.

She burns. She was burnt in her last chapter in ADWD.

Well, if this sort of logic was thoroughly applied then Aegon the Conqueror himself would actually have very little Targaryen blood considering that he is presumably a few hundred years removed from the family founder.

The thing is that there is no clear definition of what the Blood of the Dragon is besides being a Targaryen descendent. The idea of blood purity seems to be a by-product of the sibling incest rather than the other way around. (There is a lot sibling incest with the Targaryens that has nothing blood purity and political opportunity and a lot with choice. The Blackfyre parents, Aemon the Dragonknight and his beloved sister (who was someone else's wife), Bloodraven and Sheira Seastar - none of them were based on wanting to have pureblood children.) So it stands to reason that the blood of the dragon thing is a convenient excuse when the incest taboo fails you, rather than an actual thing that matters when it comes to the creation of dragon riders.

Because Dany's diluted blood is good enough for dragon riding. Just like Robert's diluted Baratheon blood is good enough to have nothing but black-haired children, and Ned diluting the Stark's First Men blood with the Tullys is no hindrance for having five wargs and one greenseer as his brood.

It seems like you are saying that at one point Targaryens literally bred with dragons. Can you expand on this? Are we to also assume that Lannisters copulated with lions, Starks with wolves, Mormonts with bears, and so on? Just seems rather very odd.

She burns. She was burnt in her last chapter in ADWD.

So she died from Dragonfire like all rest that there were subjected? Sorry, I missed that part? No, she didn't. Her skin might get scorched but she did not burn up. Is that clearer?

So she died from Dragonfire like all rest that there were subjected? Sorry, I missed that part? No, she didn't. Her skin might get scorched but she did not burn up. Is that clearer?

When we see Dany get hit head on with dragonfire and live to tell the tale, then we can say that she's completely fireproof. She hasn't been hit head on with dragonfire. You said above that "she doesn't get burned" but she absolutely does get burned. Anyways ;) I shouldn't have gotten involved in another "Dany is schpechulz" debate. Only wanted to have Ran verify what he meant. Carry on with your Dany is fireproof commentary.

When we see Dany get hit head on with dragonfire and live to tell the tale, then we can say that she's completely fireproof. She hasn't been hit head on with dragonfire. You said above that "she doesn't get burned" but she absolutely does get burned. Anyways ;) I shouldn't have gotten involved in another "Dany is schpechulz" debate. Only wanted to have Ran verify what he meant. Carry on with your Dany is fireproof commentary.

Well, as your title infers, I know nothing so we shall see. Can we leave it at that?

A few more curiosities :

Dany could have conceivably been more Valyrian via Elia of Dorne than by Aerys, presuming perhaps there were only two generations between her and the marriage of Maron Martell to the original Danaerys Targaryen.

Aegon the "almost certainly fake", - if he is in fact a Blackfyre, still might be more Valyrian than Dany, on the basis of Aegon III's marriage to a Velaryon house member - provided the Velaryon house itself stayed relatively isolated in terms of breeding with non-Velaryon/Targs. Follow that? It isn't easy, but as I explained upthread, breeding with Valyrian cousins could conceivably increase your offspring's Valyrian blood, while breeding with a sibling would not.

Can't wait to get the TWOIAF.

I really respect your work on the genetics about the targs and their procentual "Targyness" buuuut…If those maniacs really have actual Dragons in their familytree then there is something going on that you can only answer with "magic, thats why!".

Seriously, what sort of morals did the Valyrians had when incest and sex with magical lizards than brings viable offspring was totally okay?? Actually that could answer this "he looked like a scaly human dragon" thing about Rhaego. (Disclaimer: This post is based on things in Rans post about dragons in the Targ Background and should be ignored if we all misunderstood it.)

I've done this before with Ottoman Sultans, tracing descendency down from Mehmet II, and it was surprising to find that after a few centuries, most of the Sultans had barely a drop of Turkic blood. (and that's assuming family pedigrees are accurate, which studies suggest are generally wrong 30% of the time, fairly consistently, when identifying the bio father)

Are you saying that 30% of Sultan wives got pregnant from other men?

Archived