Feminism in 2012

Elder Sister

This thread really isn't about you. Please stop trying to make it so.

No problemo, my response was a direct response to your comment, I dont think it was a derail at all.

Wont post along that line any more per your request

To get back to the topic, I'm interested in opinions on the media's influence on the Feminist Movement. I see changes with regards to the media's attitudes that can be viewed as positives, but I see many negatives as well.

Some positive examples -

• HBO's tv show Girls if only for the fact that the characters' sex is sort of incidental, and the characters are less stereotypical than normally seen.
  • Ellen Degeneres continues to be a great example both as a female and as a lesbian.
  • There's a show on MTV called Awkward that I really enjoy that revolves around an adolescent female character.

Some negatives -

• music videos. I cannot believe how women are portrayed in music videos, and what bothers me more is that no one really seems to have an issue with it.
  • the obsession with youth and beauty/perfection in society. I see women constantly undergoing all sorts of surgeries in order to achieve an ideal that is neither original nor particularly beautiful, imo. Here's a great take on this by Justine Bateman - LOVE HER. http://www.styleite....-bateman-aging/ ETA - Why??? I don't get this. I cannot imagine going through surgery just to look more like everyone else. That's not beauty, imo. And it perpetuates the myth that my best asset is my physical self vs. my mind or my spirit.

• music videos. I cannot believe how women are portrayed in music videos, and what bothers me more is that no one really seems to have an issue with it.

For the record this bothers me as well.

I think in terms of the most pressing issue I'm inclined to agree with what I think is the logical extension of Raidne's opinion on it. The biggest challenges to equality now are societal attitudes, rather than legal hurdles, so it's not something that can be changed by government fiat. Men need to shoulder more responsibilities around the home etc, and women need to let them do so in the cases where they are willing/push them to in cases where they arent.

I guess an area where the government can help with this is paternity leave matching maternity leave, which is something that Sweden for example has, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it in the US as I don't imagine that there is even much by way of maternity leave itself?

Work/life balance is a whole different discussion, it can be shoehorned into this conversation, but I think it's separate from gender/feminism although it is a rather major issue that needs to change in the US.

Yes thanks ES, I have always liked Justine Bateman too.

thanks too for the topic.

Newsun, I understand where you are coming from, I really do. I do not believe in abortion. It's wrong.

However, no one has the right to tell me that I have to carry a baby for 9 months. That should strictly be my decision: No one else has the right to make that decision for me; least of all, the govt.

It's a divisive issue, no doubt. But the minute we as a nation grant a higher authority the right to what we can do with our own bodies, we have lost a huge chunk of our personal freedoms. And we will not be getting them back.

No one should ever believe in abortion. It's a hateful, horrible thing, and certainly, the women who have had to go down that road never wanted to, and it left a lasting impression on them.

But I will defend those women's rights to do what they feel they have to do. Because ultimately, they're really the only one who can make that call.

This.

But put better than I could!

What is your definition of feminism?

feminism is the broad and ambiguous designation for the series of wars of resistance and liberation--led by human female persons (whose interests coalesced incrementally through years of pedestrian humiliations and subordinations, such that quantitative gradations of sex-in-itself transformed qualitatively into sex-for-itself) with the assistance of male human persons whose minds had been liberated by gender critique provided by sex-for-itself--against institutions erected by male human persons, with the assistance of female human persons, all of whose minds had been occluded by false consciousness rooted in the category mistake that equates incidental sexual difference with intrinsic gender hierarchy, wherein which institutions had as their principal object the reduction of female human persons to mere instrumentalities in the routine reproduction of the means of production, for the benefit of the occluded male human persons aforesaid, rather than maintenance of female human persons as ends in themselves.

feminism might readily be divided diachronically into several historical components, such as the enlightenment-oriented struggle for civil & political rights (ending coverture, acquisition of suffrage, security from personal violence & sexual assault, e.g.) and then later efforts regarding perfection of those rights (employment, contraception, soldiering, say) and the pursuit of social rights (mass culture representation, equal access to places of public accommodation, driver's licensing). we are now counting at least three historical "waves," for instance.

feminism might likewise be readily divided synchronically into several discordant schools of thought: liberals, radicals, reds, separatists, postmodernists, and others, with subdivisions within each division. suffice it to say that much ink has been spilled in the intra-feminist disputes between liberals and reds, that readers of luce irigaray and followers of betty friedan might not agree very often, that the 19th century suffragette is likely to be horrified by later 20th century developments. i for one recognize that my appreciation of both kristeva and de beauvoir can lead to inconsistencies.

these diachronic and synchronic divisions accordingly render more precise definition of feminism impossible, and those who speak of it as a vulgar whole do so at their peril.

taken vulgarly as a whole, nevertheless, feminism is the most successful war of resistance & liberation in the history of the world, although one in which much expenditure of effort is yet required.

feminism might likewise be readily divided synchronically into several discordant schools of thought: liberals, radicals, reds, separatists, postmodernists, and others, with subdivisions within each division. suffice it to say that much ink has been spilled in the intra-feminist disputes between liberals and reds, that readers of luce irigaray and followers of betty friedan might not agree very often, that the 19th century suffragette is likely to be horrified by later 20th century developments. i for one recognize that my appreciation of both kristeva and de beauvoir can lead to inconsistencies.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Very often it gets forgotten that there are disputes within feminism as well, or at least feminisist who disagree on both problem descriptions and ideas for resolutions to these problems. I live in an environment where we have a lot of liberal vs red (or "lefty") feminist debate, for instance.

I'm slowly coming around to a lot of the redder feminism myself, but I do not by all means feel sold on all of it. (Some of our national self identifying red feminists are pretty batshit insane.)

And as long as women are stoned for breaking man-made laws, the multi-faceted, discordant, non-efficient, crazy ass war of liberation must continue.

The war of liberation does not have much effect in areas where women are stoned. That will have to be changed from within those regions.

Some of our national self identifying red feminists are pretty batshit insane

cerys--

yeah, there's lotsa room to disagree. i really appreciate http://www.amazon.com/Materialist-Feminism-Reader-Difference-Womens/dp/0415916348/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348230096&sr=8-1&keywords=materialist+feminism as a summation of the various far left variants.

kal--

i think you first have to get permission from relic?

The war of liberation does not have much effect in areas where women are stoned. That will have to be changed from within those regions.

Absolutely, but it doesn't mean that we shrug and say that's their problem. We can still advocate from afar, continue awareness of the problem, write about it, use whatever means to keep it in the world's consciousness. I for one am not giving up on this issue. :)

these diachronic and synchronic divisions accordingly render more precise definition of feminism impossible, and those who speak of it as a vulgar whole do so at their peril.

taken vulgarly as a whole, nevertheless, feminism is the most successful war of resistance & liberation in the history of the world, although one in which much expenditure of effort is yet required.

Sologdin, FYI: BWB Manila (all 3 of us) wants your babies to be your "mere instrumentalities in the routine reproduction of the means of production."

Archived