What are we drinking now?

Reposado

water with flax seeds... really good for your health!

What do you mean? You took a glass of water and put some flax seeds in it? How much in a glass of water? Do you just drink the water, or swallow the flax seeds too?

I make a smoothie out of chocolate protein powder, half a cup of skim milk, half a cup of water, a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt and a tablespoon of flax seeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight we are enjoying another offering from a small, independent Brooklyn brewery we are fond of. A saison brewed with barley, wheat and rye malt and other secret ingredients. Deelish.

We have just come from a big haul at Gillys, who had 15% off everything in the store. While we browsed, we enjoyed fresh sammiches and I sipped on New Belgium's Biere de Garde and MC had Victory's Prima Pilsner. We love this place dearly.

The haul:

two 22oz bottles of Double Bastard

one bottle Allagash Victory Ale

one bottle Allagash Dubbel Reserve

one bottle New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout

one bottle Firestone Wookey Jacke

a four pack of Dogfish Head Burton Baton

and finally.....a four pack of Sierra Nevada.......

Imperial Stout

A fine end of the month haul.

Cheers!

The haul:

two 22oz bottles of Double Bastard

one bottle Allagash Victory Ale

one bottle Allagash Dubbel Reserve

one bottle New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout

one bottle Firestone Wookey Jacke

a four pack of Dogfish Head Burton Baton

and finally.....a four pack of Sierra Nevada.......

Imperial Stout

A fine end of the month haul.

Cheers!

:swoon:

Sipping on a Pyramid Snow Cap. It's good, but can't hold a candle to anything on Kair's list. , or anything from the Xs stash. :bowdown:

I do all right, though. :cheers:

We are drinking gimlets.

0.5 oz lime juice. 1/2 tsp sugar. 2 oz gin. (we are using Navy strength gin so slightly less gin than that for ours)

It's not ideal in that we typically use simple syrup, but we don't have that on hand tonight. This is also slightly dry compared to our normal recipe. So, a manly gimlet.

If you want to be lush, make a lavender simple syrup for the weekend. Lavender gin gimlets are the shizz.

wish you and K were up here drinking with us. we could sit around and drink and listen to more LPs.

I went to a neat bar supply store called BYOB and bought three new supplies: a bottle of Peychaud's Aromatic Cocktail Bitters, a bottle of Angostura Orange Bitters, and marvel of marvels, a bottle of Royal Rose Lavender-Lemon Simple Syrup. I will be making one of those gimlets now.

I bought the Peychaud Bitters because I wanted to make a Sazerac: (from Esquire Magazine)

Ingredients

Sazerac

• 1 sugar cube
  • 2 1/2 ounces rye whisky
  • 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • absinthe
  • lemon peel

Glass Type: old-fashioned glass

Instructions

In an Old-Fashioned glass (not a mixing glass; it's part of the ritual), muddle a sugar cube with a few drops of water. Add several small ice cubes and the rye whiskey,* the Peychaud's bitters, and the Angostura bitters.**

Stir well and strain into a second, chilled, Old-Fashioned glass in which you have rolled around a few drops of absinthe (no substitute really works, but you can try either a mix of Pernod and green Chartreuse, or Absente) until its inside is thoroughly coated, pouring off the excess. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel (some insist that this be squeezed over the drink and discarded; Handy wasn't so picky).

* Use the good stuff, if you can find it: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (13 years old), or Sazerac Rye (18 years old).

** Optional. It's not in the original recipe, but it's traditional nonetheless, and it's not bad.

Read more: Sazerac - Drink Recipe – How to Make the Perfect Sazerac - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/drinks/sazerac-drink-recipe#ixzz2DlTOFi5S

I much, much enjoy the Peychaud's bitters in our Manhattans. More than the Angostura Aromatic.

ETA

Where did you get absinthe? When you were in Erp?

The LCBO carries 5 different kinds of absinthe now. I just need to speak to someone in one of the better stores to find out which brand is the best, because I gather at least one of them is a dog.

Mmmmmm . . . . . Manhattens. No, I'm still going to make a gimlet.

The Sazerac is pretty much the best cocktail out there. I don't make them at home because I have, at various points, been too cheap to spring for a whole bottle of absinthe, but it's basically the best thing to get at a good cocktail bar, IMO.

We are about to unleash the

Imperial Stout! In wine glasses, no doubt.

A malt-forward monster, highlighting the depths of malt flavor.

Narwhal Imperial Stout is inspired by the mysterious creature that thrives in deepest fathoms of the frigid Arctic Ocean. Featuring incredible depth of malt flavor, rich with notes of espresso, baker's cocoa, roasted grain and a light hint of smoke, Narwhal is a massive malt-forward monster. Aggressive but refined with a velvety smooth body and decadent finish, Narwhal will age in the bottle for years to come.

ALCOHOL CONTENT 10.2% BY VOLUME

YEAST ALE

BEGINNING GRAVITY 24.2 PLATO

BITTERING HOPS MAGNUM & CHALLENGER

ENDING GRAVITY 6.6 PLATO

AROMA HOPS CHALLENGER

BITTERNESS UNITS 60

MALTS TWO-ROW PALE, CARAMEL & CHOCOLATE, HONEY, CARAFA & ROASTED BARLEY

http://www.sierranev...rs/narwhal.html

Awesome! I plan to hunt down some bottles of that tomorrow. I've been on a big Sierra Nevada kick of late, and am drinking the Torpedo IPA as I write this. A week ago we enjoyed the Celebration. I intend to grab a bottle of the 30th anniversary barrel-aged version of Bigfoot when it's released next month. Cheers to those guys for turning 32 in the middle of last month!

mr x.

the narwhal is pretty damned good.

how about i hook you up with a four pack of it?

and in exchange how about you hook us up with a black ops 2012? i am just not certain we are going to get any in the dc area. and even if you cannot get it, we will still totally narwhal you..

mr x.

the narwhal is pretty damned good.

how about i hook you up with a four pack of it?

and in exchange how about you hook us up with a black ops 2012?

Sounds like a deal. I should have no problems getting some 2012 Black Ops. Our local supermarket had some bottles of the 2011 in stock a couple weeks ago. It's one of those odd benefits of living fairly close to the brewery.

we will still totally narwhal you.

:stunned:

:cheers:

Sounds like a plan. I think I have at least 3 of the 2011 (when I bought the most recent ones at the local supermarket, I thought they were actually the 2012 version, so I ended up with a lot of the 2011). One will now be set aside for you.

I went to a neat bar supply store called BYOB and bought three new supplies: a bottle of Peychaud's Aromatic Cocktail Bitters, a bottle of Angostura Orange Bitters, and marvel of marvels, a bottle of Royal Rose Lavender-Lemon Simple Syrup. I will be making one of those gimlets now.

I bought the Peychaud Bitters because I wanted to make a Sazerac: (from Esquire Magazine)

Ingredients

Sazerac

• 1 sugar cube
  • 2 1/2 ounces rye whisky
  • 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • absinthe
  • lemon peel

Glass Type: old-fashioned glass

Instructions

In an Old-Fashioned glass (not a mixing glass; it's part of the ritual), muddle a sugar cube with a few drops of water. Add several small ice cubes and the rye whiskey,* the Peychaud's bitters, and the Angostura bitters.**

Stir well and strain into a second, chilled, Old-Fashioned glass in which you have rolled around a few drops of absinthe (no substitute really works, but you can try either a mix of Pernod and green Chartreuse, or Absente) until its inside is thoroughly coated, pouring off the excess. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel (some insist that this be squeezed over the drink and discarded; Handy wasn't so picky).

* Use the good stuff, if you can find it: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (13 years old), or Sazerac Rye (18 years old).

** Optional. It's not in the original recipe, but it's traditional nonetheless, and it's not bad.

Read more: Sazerac - Drink Recipe – How to Make the Perfect Sazerac - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/drinks/sazerac-drink-recipe#ixzz2DlTOFi5S

FB, http://therooseveltneworleans.com/dining/the-sazerac-bar.html

Any Huey P. Long story is a good story, despite there being very few ways to determine the veracity of them. Enjoy your Sazerac.

Archived