Cricket XIV

Xray the Enforcer

It's a fantastic test wicket, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see Australia rack up 400+ over the next day or so, but 600 is likely a bridge too far. Putting my anti-Australian bias to one side for a moment, I actually don't think the Aussies deserve to lose this series. Unfortunately, it only takes one first innings collapse and some friendly bowling (Hastings...oh dear) to change the complexion of the entire series. If only there were fourth and fifth tests to look forward to!!

ETA: Haha, West Indies go from T20 world-beaters to minnow bait. Three steps forward, two back. Good work from a Shakib-less Bangla team though :thumbsup:. This Gazi character looks like quite a player.

Two words: Geoffrey Boycott.

Seriously though, test cricket is awesome. I *hate* 20/20.

On a good (5) day(s) there's no sport better than test cricket. But on a bad day test cricket can be the worst thing in the world to watch. The lovers of the game take the good and the bad. But too many people want a more consistent level of excitement from one game to the next. So the desire to make more money out of cricket necessitates bringing cricket to the masses, which merely serves to increase the proportion of the short form of the game at the international level. I'm conflicted here because I'd like to see cricketers earning big sporting bucks.

I think the conversion rate of those introduced to cricket via T20 through to 5DTM appreciation is exceedingly low. ODI to 5DTM was not so bad, because ODIs are long enough. But T20 makes ODIs look pedestrian to the uninitiated.

Punter's gone. One of my most cherished memories of my dad was spending the day with him at the WACA, a couple of years before he died, watching Ponting's debut 96. There would have been some poetry in a ton to bookend the career, but so be it.

I'm going to have to give some thought to his replacement. Clearly it's not Quiney. Ferguson seems to be next in line.

I think the conversion rate of those introduced to cricket via T20 through to 5DTM appreciation is exceedingly low. ODI to 5DTM was not so bad, because ODIs are long enough. But T20 makes ODIs look pedestrian to the uninitiated.

You could be right on this. I don't think there's been an uptick in Indian test crowds since the launch of the excitment- and money-making machine that is the IPL. Shame really, as ideally T20 would've served as a gateway/stepping stone to the real stuff.

@Stubs: Khawaja is captaining Australia A. He has my vote. And that's an awesome memory to have mate :cheers:.

What I don't get is that Punter himself admitted that he wasn't up to scratch any more but decided to play "one last test" anyway. If you're 2-nil up against Bangladesh that's one thing but in a shoot-out for the #1 world test ranking we decided to go in with a player who by his own admission wasn't good enough? We didn't help our cause by our bowling selections but seriously, what's the logic of carrying a batsman into such a game who can't even envision succeeding himself?

Ponting you've played some great digs but you should have gone a long time ago (or at least after the Indian rout last year). Now you're going out with twin flops in a crushing defeat.

What I don't get is that Punter himself admitted that he wasn't up to scratch any more but decided to play "one last test" anyway. If you're 2-nil up against Bangladesh that's one thing but in a shoot-out for the #1 world test ranking we decided to go in with a player who by his own admission wasn't good enough? We didn't help our cause by our bowling selections but seriously, what's the logic of carrying a batsman into such a game who can't even envision succeeding himself?

Ponting you've played some great digs but you should have gone a long time ago (or at least after the Indian rout last year). Now you're going out with twin flops in a crushing defeat.

Because we have no one to replace Ponting with. At least with him you know he has a proven track record, and when he starts firing he can with matches. There is no one in the pipeline like that for Australia at the moment, so it makes even less sense to try a new guy for a deciding match like this.

Phew! Was a great series, although if I'm honest a drawn series would've been a more just result (or better yet...play more tests!). South Africa deserve the #1 ranking though - they're the one team in world cricket who is able to find ways to win even when they're not performing well, and I've always considered that the hallmark of a great test team.

There are still a lot of positives for Australia and I'd be surprised if they didn't send Sri Lanka packing 2-0 (though admittedly the SCG should assist the 'Lankans).

Archived