Cricket XIV

Xray the Enforcer

I think they will put SA up at the last session, assuming Aussies survive that long. Run wise, they have a very favourable lead, so I don't think runs will determine when Clarke will declare. So what it comes down to, for me, is that the SA batsmen are out on the field longer, thus just that bit more tired when the Aussie bowlers are having a go at them at the end of the day in relatively unfavorable light.

Aussies need to go for the win, so Clarke would want to give the bowlers enough time to get all the wickets. At this point in time, draw is as good as a loss here for the Aussies. And despite Kallis injury, SA can potentially still hold down the fort for a draw.

Edit: Whoops, I was wrong. They just declared, 429 lead.

There goes Smith, and there goes any chance South Africa had of managing this Test out. I don't believe they had much of a chance of chasing down 400+ or surviving for 4.5 sessions of batting, but with Smith gone that already-small chance lessens considerably. I think they'll still manage something of a score (Australia will need most of the fifth day, bowling still isn't easy) but Smith was the real dangerman.

It's been a pretty good Test for Australia considering the minor injury niggles and problems they've had with their bowlers.

Only six wickets more for the win. With a whole day's play (and one of the batsmen to come batting injured) you'd have to say it'd be a cakewalk.

The only hope South Africa have is holding out early on and exhausting the bowling attack. Pattinson clearly isn't going to bowl this innings, so the only frontline bowlers are Hilfenhaus, Siddle and Lyon. Presumably Lyon could bowl most of one end for the day while they rotate the other two quicks, but it still isn't heaps of firepower.

Ouch, yeah 0/260 is not going to look good on the old resume.

Finally England get Pujara out for a low score. I hope Tendulkar plays an innings though...he needs to score soon and I'd hate for him to get pushed out of the team later down the track.

Some interesting test cricket really - even with the injuries sustained by SA it's been a great performance by Australia, and England's comeback has also been fantastic. Bodes well for next year's Ashes.

And finally, some Black Caps batsmen applying themselves!!

ETA: I actually think it's time for SRT. He's averaged 22 this calendar year and he really hasn't been the same player since he got stuck on 99 hundreds.

If 'time in the middle' is the best way to return to form, AB is set for a big hundred in Perth.

Also, impressive debut for Du Plessis.

Yeah Du Plessis looks a player. Watched his interview from yesterday and he talks about how he slipped down the stairs on his way out to bat and copped some abuse. When he returned after getting dismissed he got a warm applause. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too, seeing as he laughing while talking about it.

DuPlessis is showing heart, and that was a tough (if boring) knock from DeVilliers, not at all like his normal style (he was also saved by the referral system the first time IMO, though it ironically proved it's worth the second time)

SA could still grind out a draw here, but it's a longshot. It's been a good game to watch though.

Archived