Football, football, football 34

mormont

Well, not surprisingly, Christine Sinclair was left off of the shortlist for the FIFA player of the year, despite being the best performer at the Olympics. She broke the first rule of FIFA Club after the U.S. game, though, which pretty much doomed her chances then and there.

Well, not surprisingly, Christine Sinclair was left off of the shortlist for the FIFA player of the year, despite being the best performer at the Olympics. She broke the first rule of FIFA Club after the U.S. game, though, which pretty much doomed her chances then and there.

Ridiculous. Sad. Typical.

If he was 20cm taller and 25kg heavier he'd be a lot like the real Ronaldo - shame his knees were made of merangue because I'd have loved to have seen a prime from him. :(

And yet, despite all those goals and assists, Madrid scored more than Barca last year, which is kind of the crux to my argument.

I hope the first statement is a joke. Having a team of big players is terrible and it has destroyed the Brazilian players of old.

And surely you have to look at more than 1 season when grading players. Barcelona have been much more successful than Real.

I hope the first statement is a joke. Having a team of big players is terrible and it has destroyed the Brazilian players of old.

I have no idea what that is even supposed to mean. It certainly doesn't have any resemblance to what you were responding to.

And surely you have to look at more than 1 season when grading players. Barcelona have been much more successful than Real.

Okay. Madrid scored more than Barcelona last season, and the season before that, and the season before that. Yes, Barca won more stuff, but that's because they have a better all-round team.

I have no idea what that is even supposed to mean. It certainly doesn't have any resemblance to what you were responding to.

Heh. :) I suppose been shocked into incoherence would be an appropriate response to the idea of a 6ft 2in Messi. Admittedly, I didn't quite understand what you meant by "a prime from him". But I assumed you thought a tall strong Messi would be a good idea. Or it was a joke.

Okay. Madrid scored more than Barcelona last season, and the season before that, and the season before that. Yes, Barca won more stuff, but that's because they have a better all-round team.

Fair enough. Except, I wasn't talking about how many goals they scored.

Its just another example of how statistics can be made to say whatever you like. You think the number of goals Real scored says something more about Ronaldo (not Real). While Barcelona's success says something more about the whole team (not Messi). While when Messi is the lead goal scorer its probably because he is a gloryhog. I suppose we all are liable to interpret the data to suit our argument. However creative that is.

Well yeah, but Barca have more than a team of their all-round quality should.

And this? Given their success? They need to win everything every year?

Heh. :) I suppose been shocked into incoherence would be an appropriate response to the idea of a 6ft 2in Messi. Admittedly, I didn't quite understand what you meant by "a prime from him". But I assumed you thought a tall strong Messi would be a good idea. Or it was a joke.

I was talking about Ronaldo.

Fair enough. Except, I wasn't talking about how many goals they scored.

Its just another example of how statistics can be made to say whatever you like. You think the number of goals Real scored says something more about Ronaldo (not Real). While Barcelona's success says something more about the whole team (not Messi). While when Messi is the lead goal scorer its probably because he is a gloryhog. I suppose we all are liable to interpret the data to suit our argument. However creative that is.

True, but I was hardly arguing using just stats was I. I was using the stats to support what I was seeing from watching the teams.

And this? Given their success? They need to win everything every year?

:rolleyes: Because they're good, we can't point out ways they might be better.

I was talking about Ronaldo.

Ahhh. Given the acclaim, I assumed the real Ronaldo was the guy you said was better than Messi.

Makes more sense now. :)

True, but I was hardly arguing using just stats was I. I was using the stats to support what I was seeing from watching the teams.

Well, I don't think the stats are particularly useful to support your argument.

Because they're good, we can't point out ways they might be better.

It can come across as been pedantic though. They win all these games but they have trouble against defensive teams. So they lose...what...4...5 times in a season? And Messi is to blame. Ok.

i'm certain he'd do rather well, but i don't think he'd be as good in a system other than the one he's been playing his whole life in.

at the very best - it would take him a while to adapt.

Well he might not be as good, but that'd still be fantastic. But this is probably hypothetical, I don't see him moving any time soon.

As bad as it is to support Liverpool at the moment, the other Liverpool fans are making it even worse.

These seem to be the current dominant overlapping schisms duking it out, with most people sitting in several often contradictory camps at the same time:

- bring back Rafa, in Rafa we trust

- brink back King Kenny and lynch the owners that dared to fire the King

- the new owners are just as bad as the old owners, they're blowing up the Red Sox and we'll be next

- bring back Andy Carroll, he was unplayable at the end of last season and he'll knock in loads of goals

- bring back Steve Clarke, he's on the brink of CL football with West Brom, we were mad to let him go

- everything will be fine once Lucas returns from injury in a couple of weeks

- drop Gerrard

- move Gerrard to the right wing

- move Gerrard to #10

- it's all the fault of Downing, Henderson and/or Cole (this requires some cognitive dissonance from those clamoring for King Kenny)

- sign Edson Cavani

- sign Falcao

- at least Torres is doing even worse

- Brendan Rodgers is David Brent

- Brendan Rodgers is on very thin ice and needs a dramatic turnaround

- Brendan Rodgers will be given a long term commitment to gradually turn things around

- the referees have a conspiracy against us

- we're ready to surge up the table to the CL qualification spots

- we're just unlucky: most shots hitting the post/bar, so much possession, so many shots each game,

Liverpool need just two things:

1) give one capable manager time to settle.

2) adjust expectations according to the fact that the 80s are long gone, and competition at the top is more fierce these days.

Based on what? United have been just as dominant in the Premier League era as Liverpool were in the late 70's and 80's.

Perhaps, but the Premiership is a different place now than it was in the 90's. United are a great team, but things are getting harder for them, too. In the first ten seasons of the Prem, Utd won 7 times and 10 different teams finished in the top three positions. In the last ten seasons, Utd have won 5 times, and only six different teams have finished in the top three.

The rise of Chelsea and then Man City have made for a consistently crowded top of the table. I am not one of those who believes that 'money can't buy a winning team'. It can. It has. It will continue to do so in the future. United are rich, but so are their nearest competitors. In the last 8 seasons, only Utd, Chelsea and City have won the league. I expect that to continue at least until Warren Buffett buys Bolton or whatever.

But I was talking about Liverpool, and not United...Clearly Liverpool are not an impoverished club, but can they spend the kind of money that the biggest clubs can? Throw in Arsenal (and possibly Tottenham, though I haven't quite figured out if they are a rich club or if they were only pretending to be one for a few years there), who are certain to be in the mix near the top, and you are guaranteed to have big clubs finishing outside of the Euro spots. In Liverpool's amazing 15 seasons between 1975 and 1990, when they won the league 10 times, 14 different teams finished in the top three. But gone are the days where QPR or Villa or Norwich or Nottingham Forest or Blackburn (or West Ham or Ipswich or Watford or Southampton) are going to be finishing in the top three.

Anyway, statistics are always problematic (you could, I realize, make the exact opposite argument about competition based on the numbers I provided, under the seemingly reasonable assertion that more teams finishing in the top three indicates a greater level of competition, but I guess my point is that, while the great Blackburn team of the mid 1990s rose and fell relatively quickly, the great Chelsea team of the mid 2000s finished outside the top three last season for the first time in 9 seasons).

Archived