Rape Victim in India Dies of Her Injuries

Fragile Bird

But brain injury, organ failure, rape, loss of intestines (?!?!?) , lung infection all administered on a bus, after which the woman succumbed to her wounds? That calls for flaying.

It was the comment that the doctors could not save any of her intestines that really made me sick. I wondered how badly one needs to be beaten for that to occur, but someone suggested to me that after they had had enough of her the rapists likely started raping her with objects, like the metal rods they beat her boyfriend with. The brain injuries were likely caused by beating her on the head to shut up her screaming, and then when they threw her body out of the bus.

What made me weep was reading that she gained enough consciousness to write a note to the doctors, begging them to save her life. They beat the friggin daylights out of her, but she wanted to live.

That poor girl suffered deeply, just because the rapists were, allegedly, inebriated, and wanted to have some "fun". She fought back, which enraged the rapists and allegedly, "made" them perform more heinous acts. Given the really low conviction rates, I don't see any fair closure of this case.

I am a woman in India, and since I was 12 years old, I faced verbal abuse and at times molestation attempts as well. I do not know where to start about the problems that women face every day in transportation. All I can do is carry a cannister of pepper spray and hope that I would not ever need to use it.

It was the comment that the doctors could not save any of her intestines that really made me sick. I wondered how badly one needs to be beaten for that to occur, but someone suggested to me that after they had had enough of her the rapists likely started raping her with objects, like the metal rods they beat her boyfriend with. The brain injuries were likely caused by beating her on the head to shut up her screaming, and then when they threw her body out of the bus.

That is what some news outlets are reporting.

What made me weep was reading that she gained enough consciousness to write a note to the doctors, begging them to save her life. They beat the friggin daylights out of her, but she wanted to live.

When she woke up in hospital, after she asked for her mother, her first question apparently was "Have my attackers been arrested?".

It's really quite sad. I'm from Pakistan and the situation here is as bad. Police aren't educated or paid enough to give a shit about any one. Women have little to no rights especially in lower classes. What few women muster up the courage to report a rape are often thrown in jail since they cannot prove the rape, but their report of the rape counts as a "confession to adultery" which here is a crime (under Shariah law).

It's just really sad how cruel people can be, a girl in Kashmir was killed by being doused in acid because she looked at two men which shamed her family name.

I'm with naz on this one, there's multiple levels of faults here and there is no quick fix- capital punishment on offenders wouldn't solve the problem especially when a good chunk of people see rape as women putting themselves in a position to be raped instead of blaming the rapists for their actions.

I think it's the same everywhere - educating and empowering women makes for a better society in all manner of ways but especially in this case.

Of course, and here's the real cause for concern, these acts are likely not uncommon in all parts of the world - look at the stats for domestic violence anywhere, or the treatment of sex workers. G Wilow Wilson never put that article up, but I recall her noting if you categorize violence toward women by family as an "honor killing", you find the US has a disturbingly high rate of such assaults.

And vagina as public property is an attitude that transcends national/cultural boundaries.

I have to admit to Nuk's cynicism here -> People could start to solve this problem locally, but this connection is rarely made.

It's appalling to think that things like this happen on a regular basis, but they do...and they happen everywhere. I think Sci. is right. The problem comes down to changing cultures and values, and that takes time. It takes education, and it has to start locally.

These places where females are seen as chattel are the most problematic. And of course, ultimately, it negatively effects the society itself. Right now, China has a whole generation of males who will die bachelors because the prior generation aborted female fetuses in favor of birthing males. As a consequence, there is a dirth of women of marriageable age.

Ultimately, I think cases like this ignite change. Women are incensed by this, as well they should be. The humanitarian world community is horrified, of course, but in the end, change will come from those local people who have decided enough is enough.

I can't imagine what it must be like to spend the last few hours of life with that many injuries, without even knowing if justice would be done.

I think it's the same everywhere - educating and empowering women makes for a better society in all manner of ways but especially in this case.

Of course, and here's the real cause for concern, these acts are likely not uncommon in all parts of the world - look at the stats for domestic violence anywhere, or the treatment of sex workers. G Wilow Wilson never put that article up, but I recall her noting if you categorize violence toward women by family as an "honor killing", you find the US has a disturbingly high rate of such assaults.

And vagina as public property is an attitude that transcends national/cultural boundaries.

I have to admit to Nuk's cynicism here -> People could start to solve this problem locally, but this connection is rarely made.

I think that changing the view on women is of course the solution, but the short term should be law enforcement and, if necessary, making examples of whoever was involved in the rapes. Otherwise there will still be victims, and what does good will matter to them when the crime is done? Certainly nothing to the woman in this case.

Isn't this thing getting massive pressure - from the protestors? At the risk of being callous towards the actual victim, that's what I find really interesting and startling here. A fairly random combination of factors - particularly horrific case, central location, media coverage - seems to mean this one has hit a nerve, but surely the nerve was there to be hit.

Oh, I definitely think there should be prosecution.

I'm also generally opposed to capital punishment but the message here would, IMO, possibly serve as a strong deterrence.

This is one of the few instances where I would not favor capital punishment. Complete removal of their genitalia would probably have more of a deterrent factor.

Isn't this thing getting massive pressure - from the protestors? At the risk of being callous towards the actual victim, that's what I find really interesting and startling here. A fairly random combination of factors - particularly horrific case, central location, media coverage - seems to mean this one has hit a nerve, but surely the nerve was there to be hit.

I think it rather means that the cup has spilled. It is always the extreme case that makes issues (weak cases made, lack of prosecution, rising incidents) obvious. Rape (on a bus, public place), horrific injury, death afterwards. It draws public attention.

There is no capital punishment available. Point of fact, I'm not sure anyone has been arrested except the protestors. Many people still consider this justice.

And datepalm, no - there isn't a ton of pressure. Just some internal protests. Want there to be some big change? Immediately make it so that h1bs to India go away - or better yet, grant them only to women.

But the government does seem to be responding to the protestors - albeit in a piecemeal and stodgy fashion. Fast tracking the case, putting up the name-and-shame rapist registry. Legislation already appears to be on the books - it's not like rape is legal in india - but cultural attitudes (not particularly unlike in many other countries, but more extreme) see it poorly enforced and women bearing the brunt of coming forward. I'm wondering if the protests around this might lead to woman feeling more confident coming forward, to police treating them differently, to the general social attitude towards being a rape victim - or perpatrator - changing. Not overnight, certainly, but these things always go in fits and starts.

Archived