January Reads -new year, new books

mashiara

Finished 2012 with a mere six books in December to end the year at 129. The only SFF-y work was Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep, which was more interesting than good. I may continue on to the sequels if the local library has them.

I'm starting 2013 with Nassim Taleb's Antifragile, which is the most egomaniacal book I've read in quite some time. I also have out Caleb Carr's The Legend of Broken, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I really enjoyed Carr's The Alienist, but thought Killing Time was terrible. We'll see if I finish Broken. I also hope to use January to get to War and Peace and Gordon Wood's Empire of Liberty, both of which I started last year but put down to read later.

Currently reading Shogun, The Boy in the Suitcase, and a book on the ACLU from its early days to 1960 or thereabouts.

Depending on when my order gets here I'll be reading Lolita, Madame Bovary, A Memory of Light, and Nightside the Long Sun in January as well.

Are these for the new semester? If they are, they are good reads.

I never had such luck with my required reading.

Currently reading "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie and "Queen's Play" by Dorothy Dunnett. I'm also slowly making my way through of a collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. And I plan to start the fourth book in the Mabinogion tetralogy by Evangelin Walton in the next few days.

I've finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, and it was fantastic. The ending was heavily foreshadowed, but still very

heartbreaking

Wonderful imagery and feel for the environment in which the story takes place. Definitely recommended (especially if you enjoyed Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale).

Still mulling over what I should read next. I had been planning on Lords of Slaughter by M.D. Lachlan, but I'm not really in the mood for it right now.

Among Others by Jo Walton, The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, and Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis, for sure. The Alchemy Reader: From Hermes Trismestigus to Isaac Newton by Stanton J. Linden and Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon in the grinding through pile.

I'll be starting the year with The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. It almost gave me a fit when my MiL, who's staying with us for the holidays, picked that one book to read and take back with her to the States, but fortunately she gave it up after two dozen pages and now I get to read it.

I read this while it was getting mixed reviews, and kind of forced myself to finish it. Seemed to be less to it than there should have been. Maybe I was missing all kinds of references or something.

I've finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, and it was fantastic. The ending was heavily foreshadowed, but still very

heartbreaking

Wonderful imagery and feel for the environment in which the story takes place. Definitely recommended (especially if you enjoyed Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale

Think I just might have found yet another book I need to read now. That is the great thing about these threads.

I had some success with my WoT read tonight. I started on The Dragon Reborn tonight. My first attempt stalled out about a quarter of the way through, but I have been reading since my daughter fell asleep a few hours ago and I haven't had the desire to stop yet. Im actually enjoying it so far.

Finished A Short History of Nearly Everything. It was good for what it was.

Reading Suttree, which has been surprisingly readable once getting past the first few pages, but no where near as amazing as Blood Meridian so far, not that much is. Being a former resident of the Appalachians myself, I sometimes find McCarthy's writing style to be ill suited to the region, even though I know it's an area that he's very familiar with as well. His first handful of books were more in the sparse Southern Gothic style, but Suttree is an obvious precursor to Blood Meridian in vocabulary and sentence structure - words like alluvial, littoral, terratoma, and phrases like "trackless vales of dementia praecox" and "even a false adumbration of the world of the spirit is better than none at all" - you can see the development. The dialog, on the other hand, is colloquial more appropriate to the region.

Also reading The Myth of the Rational Voter, and one chapter in, I'm already finding it nearly unreadable. I have an image of the author as a singularly intolerable person who I would not at all enjoy having a beer with.

I finished Dune and then jumped into Dune Messiah. I got about 20% into it and decided to take a break from it. There was just too much dialogue with no action. Now I'm reading The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson.

The first book I finished this year was Bloodlands by Timothy Snider. It´s a shockingly detailled desription how Hitler and Stalin killed 14 million people in the space of modern Polen, Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltic states. You might have heard a lot about the holocaust, but the story is often told as a singular and unique incident. Snider shows a broader picture.

I didn't read as much as I planned last month, so I'm going to continue with The Walking Dead this month, only a few issues left until I catch up with the new releases. I just ordered a boxed set of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Besides that I have to read Frankenstein for school.

Blazed through Wolf's Cross by S.A. Swann in a few days. A fun werewolf read. Finished The Tank Lords by David Drake late in 2012, which I thought was good, but not great. Not sure what to pick up next. I have Heroes by Joe Abercrombie on my to read pile, but I'm more in the mood for some (scholarly) historical work. Decisions...

I finished Dune and then jumped into Dune Messiah. I got about 20% into it and decided to take a break from it. There was just too much dialogue with no action.

I'm in the same situation as you. :lol: I loved Dune, but I'm finding it hard to go through Dune Messiah. I don't know if the problem is the pace of the story or what, but I also took a break from it now. I'm rereading A Feast for Crows, once I'm done I'll reread A Dance with Dragons, and then maybe The Road.

I got Osiris by E.J. Swift last month in a free ebook bundle from Night Shade Publishing and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

The characters aren't the best I've ever read, but the whole setting for the novel is pretty neat and keeps me chugging along through the book.

I've not read much speculative/dystopian lit though, so I am wondering if I am enjoying it because it's really a well-formed world, or if it's just a novel concept to me.

Are these for the new semester? If they are, they are good reads.

I never had such luck with my required reading.

oh, no, theyre all recreational. i dont think i have any required fiction this semester.

Think I just might have found yet another book I need to read now. That is the great thing about these threads.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :thumbsup:

These threads are the reason I own ~200 unread books and have over 250 more on my amazon wishlist.

Just finished Ian Cameron Esslemont's Blood and Bone. . .

The weakest Malazan installment to date and a major, major disappointment to start off the year.

Check out the Hotlist for the full review. . .

Happy New Year to everyone! :)

Patrick

Archived