January Reads -new year, new books

mashiara

Reading A Memory of Light. So far I am enjoying it, just for the sheer "holy crap it's the Last Battle" if nothing else. (I haven't seen a single spoiler, so it's all new and exciting territory!) On the other hand...ugh, it's the Last Battle. I have never particularly enjoyed reading about battles and fighting, and obvi, there's a lot of it here. I'm about 3/4 done now, I want to push and finish, but I also don't want it to be over!

I'll probably be replacing them with a reread of Dune (next up in a slow crawl through the Hugo winners) and a first read of Swords and Deviltry.

Dune was checked out and I'm not reading it on smelly old paper, so it's currently replaced with His Majesty's Dragon.

Finished A Memory of Light. Bittersweet, of course. My complaint about too many battle scenes still stands I would realize that I had read a whole page without actually reading what was happening because it was so repetitive. And it also made the danger seem much duller. I get that there are hundreds of thousands of Trollocs and they need to die, but sometimes I felt like I had to watch the death of every single one. Eventually, I want to go back and do a re-read of all 14 books, but for now, I shall let the series rest in peace.

Working on Regarding Ducks and Universes. I am something like 90% done (I stopped to read AMOL) and rather enjoying it. Curious to see how it ends.

Finished Captain Altariste by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Some good ol' swashbuckling fun about a sword for hire who gets involved in political intrigue in Phillip IV's Spain.

Next up I'm going to try The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. This is my first Kay novel, and long overdue considering how popular he is.

Wolf Hall-Hilary Mantell.

A near classic. All right it's rather dense, meandering and at times very difficult to work who's speaking to who but who cares when the prose is so stylish and immediate, the characters so vividly drawn and the dialogue is so good that who ever has to adapt it for that BBC/HBO production will have to really try hard to screw it up.

On to Tomato Red-Daniel Woodrell.

Right now I'm reading A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin - going well so far, so may well go on to the others in the series.

Continuing on with Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles - about to start book 5.

Apart from that, haven't really planned ahead. Had too much to recently between nephew's birthdays and trying to get someone out to fix my leaky roof.

Finished Captain Altariste by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Some good ol' swashbuckling fun about a sword for hire who gets involved in political intrigue in Phillip IV's Spain.

Next up I'm going to try The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. This is my first Kay novel, and long overdue considering how popular he is.

Al-Rassan is a really rather nicely written book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for Alatriste-never read the books but the film was a mess apart from the superb sword fights.

I finished up Planesrunner by Ian McDonald last night. It's the first book in a projected trilogy with both multiverse traversing and airships. It's marketed as YA, and definitely has that vibe with amazeballs bonaroo 13 and 14 year old kids and nothing in the story is what I would call unpredictable, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it wholeheartedly. It's an ass kicking adventure that was definitely worth my time.

Now I'm back to Gates of Fire.

I just read The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. It's the story of Martha Carrier, who was one of the 19 executed as witches during the Salem Witch trials. The story is narrated by Sarah Carrier, Martha's 10 year old daughter. I liked it a lot. It's stark and sparse.

I finished Little Deadly Things by Harry Steinman and did not like it. It showed some promise at first but then the writing went downhill and the plot became ridiculous and so did the science so no, not happy with this one.

I'm now reading The Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate, I'm about halfway through. It's quite well written so far, we'll see how it turns out.

It goes without saying that if aMoL finds its way to us in the next couple of days I'll drop whatever I'm reading and start that.

I just read The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. It's the story of Martha Carrier, who was one of the 19 executed as witches during the Salem Witch trials. The story is narrated by Sarah Carrier, Martha's 10 year old daughter. I liked it a lot. It's stark and sparse.

Think I might give this one a shot. I like the little bit that I read.

Not much reading for me lately, still making my way through WoT. As much as I enjoying myself right now, I'm beginning to worry about the slow parts of the series. Hopefully, not having to wait several years for the books will help.

I'm half-way thru Martin Amis's Time's Arrow--a wry little book featuring a life lived backwards, narrated by a piggyback consciousness. Next up is The Master of Heathcrest Hall, the final installment of the Jane Austen-with-magic "Mrs. Quent" trilogy. I read the second book exactly a year ago (thanks Goodreads!) and if this final book is strong, I'll rank this as one of the better completed fantasy series out there.

snow "she said IF" leo

Finished Regarding Ducks and Universes. I actually really liked it. Thought it was a nice, easy read with some interesting ideas. Thought the ending was a little off, but not for any reason I could exactly pinpoint. For the 2.99 Kindle deal I got on it, worth the price.

Don't have anything pressing on the to read pile. Need to put an Amazon gift card to work, but haven't had a chance to research what I want to get. Think I'm going to tackle War and Peace and also a re-read of La Sombra del Viento so I can go on to the sequels.

I've just finished The Valley of Fear and started with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (reading out of order is now bothering me to no end) yesterday but work has interfered with it and further progress has been slow. And I have to fit in the undertaking to start Wheel of Time somewhere.

About halfway through Some Kind of Fairytale (thanks thread!). I'm enjoying it, but am becoming increasingly afraid that the ending is going to let me down. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I think I'll commit to Gone Girl next. I've been talking about it too long and just need to do it.

Some Kind of Fairy Tale was a nice read. Not mind expanding but enjoyable. I generally like anything Joyce has written.

Among Others was more of a mixed bag for me. On the one hand I liked the format and I liked the references to genre fiction. On the other hand I kept waiting for it to kick up another gear and it never did. I am cool with books where nothing really happens and books where nothing is fully explained at the end. I like realism. l like ambiguity. I can enjoy stylists as much as I enjoy storytellers. I just don't know how to describe this book... My overriding feeling is that it's like an imitation of DWJ's Fire and Hemlock with less heart and less soul.

I'm halfway through ...Kavalier and Clay, which is superb. This morning I started The Book of Lost Things - people have been telling me for years how fantastic it is. It's doing good so far. :)

Archived