Small questions v.10000

Angalin

what where the whereabouts of ice during robert's rebellion? obviously ned used it at the tower of joy. does that mean that rickard left it at home when going to answer for brandon at king's landing?

It seems likely either Rickard left it at home or Ned reclaimed it after the sack of King's Landing.

I think you mean the one Dacey Mormont describes to Cat?

There’s a carving on our gate,” said Dacey. “A woman in a bearskin, with a child in one arm suckling at her breast. In the other hand she holds a battleaxe. She’s no proper lady, that one, but I always loved her.”

And it's Alysane Mormont who's with Asha.

I disagree with his answer.

1.The Earth's rotation around the sun is what creates the seasons.

2. We make a point of adding a day every 4 years so that the calendar is in synch with the seasons.

Yes, NOW we know that a year is how long it takes the Earth to go around the sun. Before we knew that, we knew that the cycle of seasons always seemed to take about the same amount of time, and so we marked the passage of time by it.

I wonder how likely it is that we would have figured out the astronomical meaning of a year without first having the concept of a 4 season year. The Westerosi would have navigated by the stars at sea, so possibly someone would have eventually noticed a pattern and discovered the solar year that way. I suppose.

Not every place on earth has four distinct seasons. Seasons are also quite varied depending on location and climate. Astronomy has been used to measure time for thousands of years, including in places where seasonal differences are slight and might only be the difference between wet and a little bit wetter.

what where the whereabouts of ice during robert's rebellion? obviously ned used it at the tower of joy. does that mean that rickard left it at home when going to answer for brandon at king's landing?

Not sure that I'd obvious, but Need had been top Kings Landing first, so he could've retrieved it from there, if Rickard had took it.

Whenever i think of the song "the bear and the maiden fair" i can't stop thinking it is a kind of mocking of Jorah and his marriage to the hightower girl. The wiki says the song is way older, but is there any evidence to that, and do others get the same associations?

Or Jorah and Danny, or Brienne and her bear fight. Well yes, one certainly can make assossiations, but that does not mean the song was written about them :)

There is a slavic fairytale that is exactly about a "bear and a maiden fair". It's a somewhat common trope.

Whenever i think of the song "the bear and the maiden fair" i can't stop thinking it is a kind of mocking of Jorah and his marriage to the hightower girl. The wiki says the song is way older, but is there any evidence to that, and do others get the same associations?

Yes, there is evidence. The song appears in the Dunk&Egg tales, set some 90 years before the start of the main series.

Who is the current heir to House Yronwood, now that Cletus is dead?

The Wiki says that Gwyneth Yronwood, Lord Anders YOUNGEST daughter is the heir, but Lord Anders got an older daughter (Ynys Yronwood!). Why isn’t she heir?

On his blog, grrm writes, " I shall labor on, writing fake history, feeding the many monkeys on my back."

What does he mean by " writing fake history " ??????

Writing fiction. The universe of ASOIAF is fiction, therefore, the 'history' he writes about it will be fiction as well. The upcoming World book is a fictional book of 'real' history for the world he created.

Sorry if this has been spoken of before. I just finished DwD. But has anyone thought of the idea that the Others are already past the wall, in the surrounding areas of Stannis' army? I thought I read somewhere that the Others bring the cold, maybe?? And, as we know, there is a huge blizzard near Winterfell/Stannis/Frey-Manderly. And I think, (I don't have my book in front of me), there is no winter storm at the Wall. We've seen it's possible for Wildlings to get past without detection.

Just a thought.

Archived