NFL 2012 Superbowl week: PREPARE FOR HARBAUGHGEDDON

Kalbear

No way... Randy Moss mooned the Green Bay Packers and a stadium full of their fans. No matter what happened after that, he will always remain a fan favorite there.

On another note, I would just like to add that the comments that Kaepernick or Wilson is a better runner than RGIII is absolutely insane. If you watched him in college, there would be a better understanding of just how off that statement is. Both Kaep and Wilson are very talented, but Robert Griffin is one of the fastest and quickest men in the entire world, and I say that without exaggerating.

No one doubts his speed, only his ability to avoid hits and prevent injury. Wilson and Kaep appeared far more elusive to me, which in the long run is better than speed, IMO.

No one doubts his speed, only his ability to avoid hits and prevent injury. Wilson and Kaep appeared far more elusive to me, which in the long run is better than speed, IMO.

RGIII does not have the ability to avoid hits and sustain injury as a running QB. Neither does Wilson, Kaeper or any other running back for that matter. Just because injuries have happened already to RGIII does not mean that he is any more susceptible to them than anyone else. As a matter of fact, because of his quickness, I would consider him less susceptible to them

One thing about Kaep, RGIII, Wilson, speed and 40 times.

Kaep is a long strider. Those types are the least benefited by sprinter's stances. All runners benefit from blocking if you know ow to do it, but those least benefited...and thus, in relation, those made to appear slower...are long striders.

Generally speaking long striders also decelerate less as you get farther in, which is why so many of your taller sprinters are 'finishers'. What is unusual about Kaep is, at least in relation to a neutral or active stance, he accelerates pretty quickly for a long strider. Which is why he is more elusive than he should seem to be. Forget the absolute contrast in visual style, and Eric Dickerson was another long strider who accelerated quickly. He had a lot more refinement/track background, though, which goes some way to explaining how he looked like a gazelle whereas Kaep looks like a weird lizard or whatever.

Anyways, the last bit is just extra, but Kaep might be faster on a football field than Wilson or RGIII, even with a worse 40, and it wouldn't be unusual.

I can say this without reservation. When Kaepernick runs in the open field, he LOOKS faster to me than pretty much anyone since Mike Vick was young. Part of it is his frame, but he passes an eyeball test that may or may not be measurable. It may be the stride length, but it is just different and better. My reaction changes from 'he's gonna be caught' to 'gone' in about four steps.

I can say this without reservation. When Kaepernick runs in the open field, he LOOKS faster to me than pretty much anyone since Mike Vick was young. Part of it is his frame, but he passes an eyeball test that may or may not be measurable. It may be the stride length, but it is just different and better. My reaction changes from 'he's gonna be caught' to 'gone' in about four steps.

Not to be argumentative, but your eyes deceive you. That is just fact. RGIII is not only much faster and quicker than Colin Kaepernick, he also beats a young Michael Vick hands down on all things measurable.

Again, Robert Griffin is one of the fastest humans alive. Easily withing the top 500 or better. These other guys are not anywhere close to his league. There is a guy coming out of Texas this year that can probably match him named Goodwin, but as for now, he is the fastest guy in the NFL.

Again, Robert Griffin is one of the fastest humans alive. Easily withing the top 500 or better. These other guys are not anywhere close to his league. There is a guy coming out of Texas this year that can probably match him named Goodwin, but as for now, he is the fastest guy in the NFL.

Your final line makes me think you must be talking only QB's, but your line about top 500 people makes me think you might be talking about the whole league.

Your final line makes me think you must be talking only QB's, but your line about top 500 people makes me think you might be talking about the whole league.

I mean in the whole league... Goodwin is a receiver and he is an Olympic track runner as well. There is a big difference between being fast, and being Olympic fast.

I mean in the whole league... Goodwin is a receiver and he is an Olympic track runner as well. There is a big difference between being fast, and being Olympic fast.

You're stating that Griffin is the fastest man in the NFL?

Triske.... When his knee is healthy, then yes, he is the fastest man in the NFL. He is one of the fastest people on planet earth.

What are you basing this on?

Not to be argumentative, but your eyes deceive you. That is just fact. RGIII is not only much faster and quicker than Colin Kaepernick, he also beats a young Michael Vick hands down on all things measurable.

We know Griffin was the fastest at the Combine. Running during a game, however, is a bit different than lining up to run a 40. There has been much discussion on how Kaep gets to max speed in four strides which is incredibly useful in the NFL, even if his top speed is less than Griffin's. Kaep is fast enough as he already proved. He needs to avoid defenders, not outrun Griffin.

We know Griffin was the fastest at the Combine.

Triske.... When his knee is healthy, then yes, he is the fastest man in the NFL. He is one of the fastest people on planet earth.

Why are people saying this? It is factually untrue. Griffin was tied for the 11th fastest guy at the combine in 2012 with 4.41. I don't know how many of the guys ahead of him were drafted, but I know Stephen Hill(4.36), A.J. Jenkins (4.39) and Stephon Gilmore(4.40) were, and all were faster than Griffin. There are a TON of SUPER FAST guys in the NFL. Griffin is one of them, but it's not like his speed is all-world. Usain Bolt would beat Griffin by probably 8-10 yards in a 100 (and there's no shame in that).

Maybe it is an illusion, but I stand by my statement and don't care a whit about how fast someone is from a standing start. My comment was about how fast he appears to be once he is in stride and to me Kaepernick looks faster than anyone since Vick, Griffin included (RG is close - he too has a special burst). I haven't seen the same burst from Wallace. Sometimes it looks like CJ2K has it and there it is much harder to judge in a defensive guy. AP doesn't look as fast, but somehow you just know he's not going to be caught.

If I were a football coach I'd as concerned about speed in a 40 as I would speed in the last 40 of a 60 yard dash. Knowing how long it takes to get going is important, but breakaways happen further into the process. Plus, being ahead early isn't nearly as important as being able to move ahead once up to speed and an early advantage is only important in straight-line running.

Why are people saying this? It is factually untrue. Griffin was tied for the 11th fastest guy at the combine in 2012 with 4.41. I don't know how many of the guys ahead of him were drafted, but I know Stephen Hill(4.36), A.J. Jenkins (4.39) and Stephon Gilmore(4.40) were, and all were faster than Griffin. There are a TON of SUPER FAST guys in the NFL. Griffin is one of them, but it's not like his speed is all-world. Usain Bolt would beat Griffin by probably 8-10 yards in a 100 (and there's no shame in that).

He clocked a 4.38 in his second run at the combine, and that is misleading as well. Because of football conditioning, he is probably just a tad slower than when he ran track, but he has all world speed when he conditions for it. Even in football conditioning, he often clocked mid 4.2's while at Baylor.

Just as every fast person on the field in a given day, he still has to be the potential to be the fastest as things stand, I've gone off on a little bit of a tangent. My original point is that without question, he is faster than anyone named Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson by a large margin. Probably by more of one than he would run against Usain Bolt.

If I were a football coach I'd as concerned about speed in a 40 as I would speed in the last 40 of a 60 yard dash. Knowing how long it takes to get going is important, but breakaways happen further into the process. Plus, being ahead early isn't nearly as important as being able to move ahead once up to speed and an early advantage is only important in straight-line running.

Players generally do not run faster after their initial burst, they just delay the burst so that they use it in the most optimal spot. I understand what you are talking about, but what you are describing happens after players have been runnin at half speed.

At 60 yards, it is actually quite hard to not be traveling at the top speed a person runs at the first 40 because of inertia. It is after 70-80 yards that you actually see people pushing though to not lose momentum and that;s why the distance is set at 100 meters for track events.

In other news, did anyone watch Ziggy Ansah eat offensive players yesterday at the Senior Bowl? That guy is going to make an all pro DE. He clocked a 4.62 this week at 6'5 274lbs... That is moving some body parts.

Archived