NFL 2012 Superbowl week: PREPARE FOR HARBAUGHGEDDON

Kalbear

Ah, that's a good point. On pre-snap reads it is more comparable. Although does every team have a guy they trust to call audibles on D? I really don't know the answer.

Sorry, yeah I meant pre snap calls. I just got the impression that it tended to be the middle linebackers who do that for the defense.

Ah, that's a good point. On pre-snap reads it is more comparable. Although does every team have a guy they trust to call audibles on D? I really don't know the answer.

Yeah, it's always one guy and think it's almost always the Mike. He's also the only guy who has a headset to communicate with the sideline (equivalent to what the QB has on offense).

Sorry, yeah I meant pre snap calls. I just got the impression that it tended to be the middle linebackers who do that for the defense.

It depends. Obviously in the 3-4 you have 2...sometimes the FS makes the calls. What happens more on D is whoever sees something calls it out; there's generally a lot more talking from people on that side, so while there may indeed be a guy who is designated for making line calls, it's rarely as isolated on D as the QB is on O. This is why communication is more important on defence; the offence does most of it's stuff in the huddle, and after that only the QB will alter anything.

Yeah, it's always one guy and think it's almost always the Mike. He's also the only guy who has a headset to communicate with the sideline (equivalent to what the QB has on offense).

But I think that London Fletcher and Ray Lewis are relatively rare in that their Dcoordinator gives them way more lattitude to make adjustments pre-snap. A lot of coordinators don't trust their guy that much, but those two guys are prettymuch running the show once the team takes the field (the coordinator is doing the strategy before the game and the adjustments between possessions). For example, I read somewhere on WaPo that the adjustment to have Rob Jackson pick up the running back instead of blitzing for the game-clinching pick on Romo was made by presnap by London Fletcher.

As for "what is a premium position" I think that the clear #2 after quarterback is still pass rusher. It doesn't matter whether it's a NT or a DE or an OLB, if you show that you can get to the quarterback consistently, then you are a valuable commodity in the NFL. If you can get sacks from a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE (or even a 3-4 NT, assuming he isn't blowing his gap), then that's even better than getting the production from the "typical" pass rushing positions, because finding a pass rush from those spots is even harder. That's actually what is amazing about JJ Watt, is that not only can he get to the quarterback from his DE position, but he does it without losing his gap and getting run on. AND in spite of his brilliance, the OLBs on the Texans have been unable to capitalize on all the attention paid to Watt and create a ton of sacks on their own. Compare that with the incredible success the Smiths have had rushing the passer in SF.

But I think that London Fletcher and Ray Lewis are relatively rare in that their Dcoordinator gives them way more lattitude to make adjustments pre-snap. A lot of coordinators don't trust their guy that much, but those two guys are prettymuch running the show once the team takes the field (the coordinator is doing the strategy before the game and the adjustments between possessions).

I might be wrong but Patrick Willis seems to do it for the 49ers and I remember the people talking about the difficulty the Cowboys had replacing Sean Lee because he made adjustments to the defense on the field. I think I remember the same thing about Brian Cushing with the Texans but I'm not sure about that.

But I think that London Fletcher and Ray Lewis are relatively rare in that their Dcoordinator gives them way more lattitude to make adjustments pre-snap. A lot of coordinators don't trust their guy that much, but those two guys are prettymuch running the show once the team takes the field (the coordinator is doing the strategy before the game and the adjustments between possessions). For example, I read somewhere on WaPo that the adjustment to have Rob Jackson pick up the running back instead of blitzing for the game-clinching pick on Romo was made by presnap by London Fletcher.

In that sense, they're like the equivalent of the classic elite veteran QBs like Manning or Brady who can kill the play at the line and go with something else. I know Big Ben was chafing at the fact he didn't have that ability in the Steelers offense. And he's a 9 year pro with two rings.

That said, think it's more common in the QB ranks simply because those guys do last longer. Fletcher and Lewis, by all accounts, are freaks to still be playing.

I might be wrong but Patrick Willis seems to do it for the 49ers and I remember the people talking about the difficulty the Cowboys had replacing Sean Lee because he made adjustments to the defense on the field. I think I remember the same thing about Brian Cushing with the Texans but I'm not sure about that.

Yeah, I mean it is virtually impossible to say how much is coming from the Dcoordinator and how much is coming from the guy who is miced up himself. I'm sure that for all teams, there is some of both, but obviously the more you can have the actual linebacker/safety doing, the better because he has a better perspective, he is closer and he can cut out the middleman, which saves precious seconds.

Willis does a lot, but Bowman and Justin Smith also make calls often.

Fletcher has to be one of the most underrated players out there. When you hear them talk about MLB's on any of the sports shows or articles about who is good at the position he is rarely mentioned.

Oh absolutely. It is nothing short of astounding that a guy like Fletcher was allowed to walk away from first the Rams and then the Bills. He is the consummate pro, always working hard, leading the rest of the guys and doing his job. He was never an overwhelming athlete (he was undrafted out of college) but he gets it done on the field, week after week, year after year.

I think the reason he doesn't get as much credit is because he isn't as dominant an athlete and is pretty soft spoken with the media. He was never as fast as Brian Urlacher or as punishing as Ray Lewis, but he will just makes SO MANY tackles. Even now, when he is slower than most linemen, he is still leading the team in tackles.

That said, think it's more common in the QB ranks simply because those guys do last longer. Fletcher and Lewis, by all accounts, are freaks to still be playing.

I think that's the heart of it. Antonio Pierce was the Giants's defensive signal caller, and was the key in adjusting to Brady's signals in Super Bowl 42, but physically he was toast by the next season. It was hard to watch - he'd diagnose the play, call the right defense, and break towards the ball at the snap... and the RB would still run right by him. He was 30 in 2008, and retired in 2009 at age 31.

Safety is also a lot more important than it was. I think much more so than the CB. Partially due to the proliferation of scary TE targets and partially because of the read option and partially because of how important double covering someone from halfway across the field is.

Since my favorite player of all time is Ronnie Lott, I have always been a fan of great safety play. It sort of kills me that two once-in-a-generation safeties went to two of the biggest conference rivals the Pats have, Polamalu and Reed. I really wanted the Pats to go after Polamalu in the draft (they took Ty Warren three picks ahead of Polamalu that year, who was productive, but...), since I've also been a fan of defensive players coming out of USC -- like Lott and Willie McGinest.

It's also not been lost on me that the Pats' defensive decline accompanied the decline at safety. The "bend but don't break" defenses of yore had at least one elite safety. The first championship team had strong play from Lawyer Milloy, cut him as he was getting old, replaced him with Rodney Harrison at the tail end of his prime, and then as Harrison declined, so did the defense's ability to make critical stops and get turnovers. Well, that and they never properly replaced Willie McGinest's skill set and intelligence, either. But yeah, Rodney Harrison. His broken forearm in the Super Bowl against the Panthers turned that game from a defensive struggle into a shootout. And maybe a two-years-younger Rodney Harrison bats down or intercepts Tyree's ridiculous helmet catch. Ah, safeties.

Oh absolutely. It is nothing short of astounding that a guy like Fletcher was allowed to walk away from first the Rams and then the Bills. He is the consummate pro, always working hard, leading the rest of the guys and doing his job. He was never an overwhelming athlete (he was undrafted out of college) but he gets it done on the field, week after week, year after year.

I love that he still throws up before every game. He still has nerves 200+ games in. And if you read that recent WaPo article about what he had to overcome growing up, it's even more impressive.

Impossible not to root for the guy.

I think that's the heart of it. Antonio Pierce was the Giants's defensive signal caller, and was the key in adjusting to Brady's signals in Super Bowl 42, but physically he was toast by the next season. It was hard to watch - he'd diagnose the play, call the right defense, and break towards the ball at the snap... and the RB would still run right by him. He was 30 in 2008, and retired in 2009 at age 31.

Yeah always wondered what happened to Pierce. Spent a couple seasons pissed we were stupid enough to let go of this, basically found gold..to a divisional rival no less. And then he was out of the sport before I knew it. A short but impactful career.

Since my favorite player of all time is Ronnie Lott, I have always been a fan of great safety play.

Sean Taylor's brief career still has me obsessed with the possibilities of a safety. I think it's the suddenness with which a safety can enter a frame both in breaking up a pass or flying up to blow up a run. Feels like the defense's wildcard. You pretty much know where a CB or LB or DE is gonna be on every play but a safety could be 25 yards away or appear off the edge, sacking the QB. Polamalu was the master at this. They can be like human momentum swings (Ed Reed was the master at that). And nothing is worse than having slow safeties, guys who are split second late on filling a hole or forced to be purely conservative so as not to be burned deep. God, I'd kill for a great safety.

So, uh. Trent Williams (O-Line, Redskins) missed the Pro Bowl yesterday because he got hit in the head with a champagne bottle and tased. How am I just finding out about this now?! That's absurd.

So, uh. Trent Williams (O-Line, Redskins) missed the Pro Bowl yesterday because he got hit in the head with a champagne bottle and tased. How am I just finding out about this now?! That's absurd.

Apparently he got attacked. By a club owner no less.

Who freaking attacks Trent Williams?

ETA: BTW anyone see this? Bernard Pollard is predicting the end of the NFL. Also pretty sure he's trying to hasten the process, one Patriot at a time.

ETA: BTW anyone see this? Bernard Pollard is predicting the end of the NFL. Also pretty sure he's trying to hasten the process, one Patriot at a time.

I saw that too.

I am not sure if he's right or not...I think the game is capable of reforming itself somehow even if it evolves into a game that isn't quite what we know today.

That said, I have been afraid of a death for a while now. I think it could happen and probably will. The ability of players to dole out hits (not just the D but the speed and size the O is moving w/ too) is increasing faster than the human body's ability to sustain the hits. When Ridley went down it just looked so...wrong.

So it's been a long time since the Bears have been mentioned.... just kidding, lets keep laughing at the Jets:

Jets have explored Jamarcus Russell

Per Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets had “some very exploratory, informal discussions” about the ex-Oakland Raider. The discussions took place after the firing of G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, and among members of the organization that still have their jobs.

Oh please, please let this happen. But only if they get keep Sanchez and Tebow. That three-ring circus will be endlessly amusing.

Oh please, please let this happen. But only if they get keep Sanchez and Tebow. That three-ring circus will be endlessly amusing.

Sanchez's ego, Tebow's baggage and JaMarcus's girth. That will have to be one hell of a circus tent.

Sanchez's ego, Tebow's baggage and JaMarcus's girth. That will have to be one hell of a circus tent.

Jamarcus Russell could not possibly survive the NY Media Circus. If he is going to successfully come back (and the chances of that are very very slim) then I suggest he try and find the smallest media market available, hunker down and stay focused. Buffalo would be ideal. I'm sure Fitzpatrick would be thrilled if Russell was the guy they brought in to "give him a little competition".

Archived