No Mercy Trailer

Westeros

I'm thinking Talisa will take the Poole role, also. This is mostly stemming from the politics of show production more than anything. Having Talisa occupy that function keeps D&D from having to add another character to the show, which they've said many times is always a concern. I think story concerns are secondary when it comes to this situation. D&D will make the story accommodate the change.

I also think killing off too many primary show characters at the RW will dilute the impact. I think the focus should be put squarely on the primary two. It's their moment.

I don't think the Lord of Light works like that, he doesn't have a formulaic way of doing things, it's all on his whim. He choose to bring back Beric, non of the other people that Thoros performs the last kiss to came back. And Thoros has no idea why it brought Beric back. I like the theory that Mel is another one who is brought back, but I don't think one can draw the conclusion that because Beric dies that everyone who is brought back cannot survive giving the last kiss.Beric died because the R'hllor was done with him.

GRRM made a comment about the showrunners killing off characters who are still alive in the books and will be in TWOW and joked that their body count is higher than his. Irri's the obvious example, but I think Talisa/Jeyne will fall into this category as well.

GRRM made a comment about the showrunners killing off characters who are still alive in the books and will be in TWOW and joked that their body count is higher than his. Irri's the obvious example, but I think Talisa/Jeyne will fall into this category as well.

I doubt GRRM would consider Talisa as one of his characters, even with her occupying a function of Jeyne Westerling.

Also, wanted to point out that when I say I see Talisa occupying the Poole function, I don't see her acting as fake!Arya (That would be ridiculous). I agree with the idea that nobody is going to bother with the Arya deception on the show.

I'm thinking Talisa will take the Poole role, also. This is mostly stemming from the politics of show production more than anything. Having Talisa occupy that function keeps D&D from having to add another character to the show, which they've said many times is always a concern. I think story concerns are secondary when it comes to this situation. D&D will make the story accommodate the change.

I also think killing off too many primary show characters at the RW will dilute the impact. I think the focus should be put squarely on the primary two. It's their moment.

Changing the character of Jeyne Westerling to Talisa Maegyr will eventually serve two purposes:

1.) Extending the mythology of the show to include the Free Cities including Volantis at its outset. There is a particular scene with Robb in season 2 where this is discussed. Talisa also discusses that it was a slave who saved her sibling, which will become important for other story arcs in the future.

2.) Ends the Young Wolf storyline at the Red Wedding - it works much more dramatically if the woman who Robb Stark threw away his kingdom for is also present and killed at the wedding. The complexity of the RW is also reduced by removing the Westerling aspect of it.

ETA: I previously pointed out why having Talisa alive post RW would detract from the story.

Also... does anyone else think that the hooded person running with a knife (it looks like that in the still from WiC) is the assassin who attacks Dany at the docks?

Also... does anyone else think that the hooded person running with a knife (it looks like that in the still from WiC) is the assassin who attacks Dany at the docks?

I thought it to be Barristan saving Dany, but it could very well be the assassin. :P

Mark this thread. I'm pretty sure that Talisa won't die at the RW. She will replace the fake Arya plot. The fake Arya thing wasn't plausible to begin with in the book. Really, no one knows what Arya looks like in the North? Plus in the TV series, it really wouldn't work. Making Talisa take Fake Arya'a place adds a more dramatic arc to Theon's story. He betrayed Robb. But is able to redeem himself saving Robb's wife. People will be emotionally invested in that. Plus in the TV series there are lots of fans of TALISA and Robb. To see her go through those horrors with Ramsay, will pack an emotional punch. And when Theon, the turncloak saves her, it will pack a huge emotional punch.

I'm a writer. From a storytelling standpoint it makes more sense. No reason at this point in the game to introduce a whole new character in Jeyne that the audience isn't invested in. It really is a smart change. Now I won't lie it's a tumble effect. Because when we reach ADWD, Jon has no connection to Talisa. My thinking is, they are going to play off Jon's emotional attachment to ROBB and how close they were. So he will want to save TALISA from the monster Ramsay, because his brother loved her.

Melisandre is probably just like Beric, though - she's been resurrected. IIRC the actress playing Melisandre said that she was "over 100 years old", and that fits with the evidence we have from the book. If Mel gives anyone the "kiss of life"... she'll die too.

She said that? :o

Here's the quote that I think has been blown a bit out of proportion.

The question was given to her before season 2 was aired so she couldn't spoil things about what she does in that season so basically it's a speculation question to someone who has no idea what the answer is.

Access: "Where do you think her power comes from? Does it have to do with a necklace she wears? Was she born with it?"

"Carice: She definitely has certain powers. I don’t how old she is, but she’s way over 100 years, so she is a wiser spirit, in a way, but it’s difficult for me to say too much because A — we want it to at least stay sort of a mystery and B — I didn’t read the books (laughs)."

Some of what I'm going to say is possible spoiler so I'll just tag the whole thing about evidence in the books etc.

There is evidence from SSM with him saying "that he wouldn't give an undead character a POV" that refutes the theory that she is undead. Melisandre had a POV, therefore she's not an undead character, unless GRRM forgot about that one exception.

Also with this whole Melisandre hasn't resurrected anyone with the "last kiss" deal is probably due to the fact that

1. She doesn't know that it will work

2. See number one.

Thoros resurrected Beric accidentally the first time. When has Melisandre performed a funeral in the books that we've seen? There's a possible chance that she might do it soon I suppose.

I was wondering (I did do a search beforehand), has Patchface been discussed at all? I would think they might show him briefly on Dragonstone. Maybe Shireen is running from him and that's why Stannis is hugging her in that one scene in the trailer? Thoughts?

Can someone explain why people are so excited about the bathtub? Been a long time since I read ASOS...

That bathtub scene is one where we get a lot of Jaime and Brienne bonding time. I think its the first scene they have together after Jaime has somewhat recovered from his hand being chopped off. It's also the scene where he talks about the wildfire plot that Aerys had in store for King's Landing.

Archived