If You Lived in Westeros...

Éadaoin

Now that I have your attention...

I'm taking a board-wide survey and would like to ask all of you a few questions. Feel free to just answer the ones that you're interested in. So let's get started.

1) Which comes first - loyalty to family or loyalty to your country/king?

2) If you had to ride a direwolf or a (young) dragon into battle, which one would you choose? And why?

3) Would outlawing beets or brothels have a greater impact on society? If you were king/queen, which one would you choose to outlaw?

4) Would you rather have Selyse's mustache or Selyse's ears?

5) What father would have a greater impact on issues pertaining to the family - Tywin or Randyll? Which one would you choose to have as a father and why?

6) Say that you're a highborn woman in patriarchal Westerosi society. Would breathtaking beauty or a keen intelligence be more beneficial to you?

7) Classism is a huge problem in Westerosi society. If you were a peasant, what part of Westeros would you prefer to live in, and why? And who would you want as your king or queen?

Feel free to just answer the ones that you're interested in. So let's get started.

6) Say that you're a highborn woman in patriarchal Westerosi society. Would breathtaking beauty or a keen intelligence be more beneficial to you?

I would choose breathtaking beauty so I could admire myself in the mirror.

1. Family loyalty

2. Direwolf. They seem to have a deeper bond with their masters.

3. There are probably some people who need beets to survive. I'd outlaw brothels if it had to be one.

4. Ears. Big ears aren't really a problem if they're symmetrical.

5. I'd choose Tywin. Randyll imprisons and attempts to murder his children.

6. Beauty.... I'm not sure why though.

7. Well honestly I'd try to live somewhere in the Reach, probably in Tyrell lands. They seem to give a lot to the peasants.

7) Classism is a huge problem in Westerosi society. If you were a peasant, what part of Westeros would you prefer to live in, and why? And who would you want as your king or queen?

White Harbour. It's clean and there's fishing and stuff to do. The one true king, Stannis Baratheon.

1) My country. Family members can be such whiny little gits sometimes.

2) A direwolf. Direwolves tend to not be able to turn me into a roast chicken with little given notice.

3) I'd outlaw neither. Brothels are quite good for the local economy, if only bad for public health. The beets would probably balance out the health aspect, so there.

4) The moustache, since I already have it.

5) Randyll Tarly. I'd rather not have a Daddy that forces me to watch while his household guard rapes my wife.

6) Keen intelligence. There's a chance that I'm already moderately attractive, so going FULL BLOWN HOTTIE would only help but so much.

7) I'd choose to live in The Reach. They seem pretty damn laid back. I'd just work on a farm, or potentially live in some Oldtown slum. Some of the Oldtown slums seem like better places to live than most parts of King's Landing. As for who I'd want as my King/Queen, most likely Robb Stark. He would've made an excellent king.

8) I notice you had 7 questions in your survey, a rather sacred number in Westerosi culture. Good job.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to determine my answer until I was put in that situation. It also depends on who the king is, but less than you might think.

2) If you had to ride a direwolf or a (young) dragon into battle, which one would you choose? And why?

The dragon. The idea of riding a wolf of any size into battle has never really sat right with me - I think wolves would be more effective if left to their own devices rather than weighed down with a human. Even a fully-grown direwolf seems like it's only just big enough to ride, too - it'd probably need to be about twice the size to make a really good war mount.

]3) Would outlawing beets or brothels have a greater impact on society? If you were king/queen, which one would you choose to outlaw?

Beets, and brothels, respectively.

]4) Would you rather have Selyse's mustache or Selyse's ears?

A difficult one. If Selyse's moustache is taken as a minimum then I'll have the moustache. If it's the biggest one I can grow, I'll have the ears.

]5) What father would have a greater impact on issues pertaining to the family - Tywin or Randyll? Which one would you choose to have as a father and why?
Not sure about the former, but Tywin to the latter. While he's a colossal prick, I think he'd value me more, and there'd be less risk of being killed for making inappropriate life choices.
]7) Classism is a huge problem in Westerosi society. If you were a peasant, what part of Westeros would you prefer to live in, and why? And who would you want as your king or queen?

The Reach; it's prosperous, fertile, and easy living compared to elsewhere. For a king, Renly.

Depends which family I'm from and who is king/queen. But probably family. Blood is thicker than whatever.

I'm afraid of heights and WMD's, but I'm probably too heavy for a direwolf. This sucks. If I had the time, I'd just go on the Dothraki Sea berry diet for a few weeks and then choose direwolf.

3) Would outlawing beets or brothels have a greater impact on society? If you were king/queen, which one would you choose to outlaw?

Beets. Beets have many uses. They are rich in nutrients and can be used to feed animals and people alike. It's much harder to get away with a secret beet patch than it is to get away with a secret brothel. You can outlaw whores, but whores will never consent. Beets can't speak for themselves.

Ears. I can cover them with my hair or pretend I'm a creature from another race.

5) What father would have a greater impact on issues pertaining to the family - Tywin or Randyll? Which one would you choose to have as a father and why?

I think they should enter into a domestic union and not be allowed to adopt.

Intelligence. Make-up and such can make one attractive, but nothing can be done for stupidity.

North of the wall.

I'm taking a board-wide survey and would like to ask all of you a few questions. Feel free to just answer the ones that you're interested in. So let's get started.

1) Loyalty to family

2) Dragon.... I like flying

3) Outlaw the vicious tyranny of beets

4) Mustache.... as it stands I grow terrible facial hair

5) I'd choose Tywin.... for the money.... plus I'm kind of not very strong so I'd hate to be Samwell'd

6) Can men become highborn women?

7) ...... put me in the Stormlands with Stannis as my king.... which part of the Stormlands I hear you ask, it doesn't matter

1. family obviously.

2. dragon

3. both negative impact, neither.

4. assuming I'm a girl? ears

5. tywin does more for the family obviously. it's, like, his main agenda. but he's quite the monster, so probably Randyll

6. depends, among other things, on who my father is. if he's like doran, beauty otherwise intelligence.

7. king: renly or stannis. queen: marg or myrcela. north of the wall!

edit: randyll attempts to murder his children? wanting to survive makes me change my answer to tywin.

Family. Country/King is secondary, but blood is thicker than air.

Direwolf. I'm scared of heights.

Brothels for sure. You never hear about beet farmers in AGOT. So I'd outlaw beets.

Ears for certain. Imagine how much better I'd be able to hear!

Randyll was a man who refused to accept his son was anything but what he deemed worthy of a Tarly, and Tywin was a man who refused to accept his son was, physically as well as mentally, less than perfect. I'd choose Randyll, simply because I can change my behavior and attitude, I very well cannot change my dwarfism.

Beauty. Cersei is rather lacking in the brain department, and she's got a (tenuous) hold on the IT.

The Vale of Arryn, untouched by war, castles I can go to in cases of siege or war that are nigh assailable, ruled under a family known for their honor, minus the Northern "First Night" law, and the regularity of warfare in the Riverlands. I would want Robb as King, however. Stannis is brutal, and unforgiving, Joffrey is a twit and a sociopathic one at that. Renly is meh, I don't think he'd do a good job, and Balon Greyjoy kind of doesn't like farmers.

6) Can men become highborn women?

You can pretend. ;)

I'm afraid of heights and WMD's, but I'm probably too heavy for a direwolf. This sucks. If I had the time, I'd just go on the Dothraki Sea berry diet for a few weeks and then choose direwolf.

I hear that diet does wonders.

8) I notice you had 7 questions in your survey, a rather sacred number in Westerosi culture. Good job.

Thanks, but that was all Doctor Pepper's genius. :)

1- Family, honour, Duty. at least for me.

2- Direwolf

3- Neither of them.

4- Ears, I could make children laugh

5- Randy, I love hunting.

6- I would ratter be smart. Beauty fades with the years.

7- The north, is the only place where you can trust most people. Long life to the King in the North! Stark! Stark!

2) Dragon. Because of Harrenhal.

3) Brothels, by far, would have a greater impact. Beet farmers could just farm something else, but what would prostitutes go on to do? As Tyrion asks, "Where do whores go?"

Besides, beets are yucky. Outlaw beets!

6) Intelligence, by far. Cersei's pretty, and not terribly smart (though she likes to think she is), and we all know how that turned out.

7) I'd prefer to live in the Reach. Food a plenty, lots of people, and everyone seems to be really happy (and nice and warm). The Vale, the North, and the Iron Islands seem so miserable.

I'd want Margaery as my Queen. She's kind to the smallfolk, but smart and manipulative enough to keep the nobles in line.

I strongly believe in Tully words, and I am Stark on that matter - Family before anything.

Direwolf or dragon into battle? Well, since dragons are harder to kill, I would use them, but since they are so uncontrollable, direwolf is also great choice. Tie?

Brothels. I am iron jawed angel after all.

Dear lord, I would rather look like myself, without any relation to her.

Tywin. He at least understands the fact you can be great in various ways. Also, my parents are pretty much Tywin-cold, so I know how to deal with emotionally-crippled parents.

I am man, and although I find looks realy appealing, if I can`t have a normal. meaningful conversation with a woman,I am done. That`s why I love this forum, it`s full of really smart, great women.

If I am a peasent, and have to work entire life for basically nothing, I would choose Reach. At least, being farmer there isn`t that bad. As for whom would I like as my King, as a peasent I would soon understand that no one would ask me, and I would try not to think about it. After all, `who thinks about common people, when Highlords play their Games of thrones`

Family

The dragon, they are more destructive and dangerous even if they are young

Well, I don't know about beets or how important they are in Westeros, so I'd say outlawing brothels would have a bigger impact and I'd become the most hated person in Westeros. And beet is awful, so i'd outlaw it.

The ears and very long hair

I think Tywin, he is very controlling and his children do whatever he says even as adults. I'd choose Randyll because I think he is a little less ruthless than Tywin.

Keen intelligence, beauty doesn't last forever, it's better to be smart, that way I can become the new queen of thorns.

The Vale, it's protected in case of war and the Arryns have a good reputation. I'd want to have the wilding system: follow someone who has shown he/she deserves my loyalty, if I have to give a name, I guess Robb Stark, he is a good person and who cares about his duty and his people.

Family

Assuming a young dragon can still fly with you on it, a dragon. Ethical and philosophical issues aside, being in the air, above your forces would be a spectacular tactical advantage, would mean you were almost always visible to your troops and it would prevent you being taken by surprise. Also, the shock factor is arguably greater.

If it can't fly, then a Direwolf.

Brothels would likely have greater impact. I would outlaw beets, it may be stupid but outlawing brothers would create more societal tension.

Being male, her mustache.

I think Tywin would have a greater impact on a greater number of areas. If I had to choose, I'd choose Tywin. As terrible as he was, he never actually threatened to kill Tyrion, nor did he exile him. But they're both absolutely awful.

Intelligence. Beauty only gets you so far. I'd rather be Olenna than Cersei.

The Reach. As a peasant, feeding yourself is your greatest challenge, and the Reach has the most food and is probably the easiest place to live. Also, the size of their armies means that a) they're not likely to be threatened very often and B) you're proportionally less likely to find yourself in the most dangerous areas of any battles that you might have to fight in.

As a Queen, speaking as a peasant living in the Reach, Dany. (Assuming she has fully grown dragons.) A historical ally of the Reach and the dragons would mean I'd be less likely to be called to go to war. That doesn't mean I think she'd make a good queen, just that she has the most benefits for a peasant living in the Reach.

A peasant doesn't care about the wider consequences of different rulers, only on the likelihood of their life being disrupted.

1. I put my trust in the Starks, if that was my family, then family.... sooo depends on which family/king

2. Direwolf; I like the pack mentality of wolves, it's one of the most beautiful examples in nature, of a principle of Game Theory which states that for some problems, collaboration is better than competition.

3. I wouldn't outlaw either. I'd outlaw trafficking and pimping, but women would be allowed on their own accord to run and work in a public house. I'd outlaw poor hygene in brothels.... and beets are delicious; if I HAD to... brothels?

4. ears.... and get creative with hairstyles ;)

5. Tywin .... he's not a paragon of fatherhood, but to an extent he does respect the talents of his children (he could do a way better job) if Randall were worth his salt, he would have allowed Sam to become a maester

6. Keen intelligence ... Cersei is a good example of beauty gone downhill

7. Definitely the Reach... it's good for farming, and the Tyrells protect their own.

ETA: wow, lots of people are cheating by chosing neither :D ....maybe you should have mentioned "gun to your head..." :lol:

ETA2: considering people are getting bored and posts keep repeating themselves... secret targ, dany+jon, jon+val, dany+others, dany+hodor=love... I'm grateful for this one :D

1) Which comes first - loyalty to family or loyalty to your country/king? I'll go with what seems the standard for Westeros - family first.

2) If you had to ride a direwolf or a (young) dragon into battle, which one would you choose? And why? I would rather ride a horse and have a direwolf on foot defending me. Seemed to work for Robb.

3) Would outlawing beets or brothels have a greater impact on society? If you were king/queen, which one would you choose to outlaw? Neither I would frown on brothels and their use by members of my court though, and try to curtail their operations. Outlawing them might cause unpopularity for myself and resistance. Note that fantastic looking young subservient girls on tap in wisps of silk is a modern immature HBO boys fantasy not corresponding to reality of prostitution, IMO.

4) Would you rather have Selyse's mustache or Selyse's ears? I can't remember what her ears are like. I think I'll go ears and bring headscarfs and hats into fashion.

5) What father would have a greater impact on issues pertaining to the family - Tywin or Randyll? Which one would you choose to have as a father and why? I don't understand the first part of your question. I can see Tarly is more functional although hard but I think Tywin is more interesting .... This is the point at which I would typically make a very bad choice so I think I will abstain.

6) Say that you're a highborn woman in patriarchal Westerosi society. Would breathtaking beauty or a keen intelligence be more beneficial to you? I have a a negative mindset so I am totting up the disadvantages of both. Breathtaking beauty can still only ultimately get you a husband, and doesn't seem to allow people to jump many social levels - I suppose you'd get the pick of what's available to someone from your family, and you might not like him anyway. Brains can be a major disadvantage, distracting you from the practical tasks of being a noble lady, you might sit around reading books for example, and annoy everyone with your strange chatter about ideas and suchlike. I think I'll go with brains, though.

7) Classism is a huge problem in Westerosi society. If you were a peasant, what part of Westeros would you prefer to live in, and why? And who would you want as your king or queen? I would want to live in the Reach in the possibly incorrect belief that I'd share in some small way in its agricultural plenty. I would want a King or Queen who avoided war and prepared for winters but I ain't gonna get it so I'll go Dany.

Archived