Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

Well, the FA have outdone themselves in women's football. In a restructuring of the women's league for next season to accommodate a new second level, they took the chance to relegate Doncaster Belles (a very successful team) for no reason whatsoever. Well, I say no reason. Their replacements: Manchester City.

Disgusting, really.

to be honest, you don't get that many matches in europa league and champions league - 13 in the champions league and 15 in europa league (if my calculations are correct)

and most of those are knockout matches where you can't really aford the luxury of resting your key players.

if there were a minimum matches played requirement as low as 3 matches, i don't think more that 15-16 players would be getting the medal.

keep in mind that this is off the top of my head, without any statistics search etc.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Prem. It doesn't make sense in cup tournaments.

Chelsea are now however one of only a handful of clubs to have won all three European Competitions (if you count the Europa League as a continuation of the old UEFA Cup, anyway).

And apparently the only ones to hold both at the same time but given the fact that the Europa League Final is before the Champion's League final I don't think that this is something any team should ever be proud of :cool4:

Well, the FA have outdone themselves in women's football. In a restructuring of the women's league for next season to accommodate a new second level, they took the chance to relegate Doncaster Belles (a very successful team) for no reason whatsoever. Well, I say no reason. Their replacements: Manchester City.

Disgusting, really.

Why is the fact that their replacements are City relevant? Would you have brought it up if their replacements had been Tranmere Rovers Ladies?

Why is the fact that their replacements are City relevant? Would you have brought it up if their replacements had been Tranmere Rovers Ladies?

Tranmere Rovers wouldn't bring with them the certain whiff of financial incentives, would they. I'd be just as suspicious if it had been us.

I'm not saying that the wrongdoing is on City's part.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Prem. It doesn't make sense in cup tournaments.

And apparently the only ones to hold both at the same time but given the fact that the Europa League Final is before the Champion's League final I don't think that this is something any team should ever be proud of :cool4:

there is a minimum games played for premiership medal. i believe it's 10. substitutions count as 1, too.

chelsea are also the first ever champions league winner to play in a europa league/uefa cup the next season since that's only an option if you get knocked out of the group stages of champions' league, and trophy holder has always managed to go through the group stage until chelsea this season.

there is a minimum games played for premiership medal. i believe it's 10. substitutions count as 1, too.

chelsea are also the first ever champions league winner to play in a europa league/uefa cup the next season since that's only an option if you get knocked out of the group stages of champions' league, and trophy holder has always managed to go through the group stage until chelsea this season.

We're going about this "making history " thing all wrong :lol:

It is a bit like how, in boxing, they'll point out this great accomplishment of being a "5-time champion",... weeell that just means you've lost the title 4 times.

Still it's a trophy Chelsea didn't have before so I'm happy.

Also Torres, who is now the current holder of all the cups ever.

Ah yes, he also has a Euro and a World cup. There is no justice...

Oh dear.

Hearts' parent company asks to be declared insolvent. Besides the obvious ramifications, it is conceivable that a resulting points deduction could place them below Dundee and thus see them relegated rather than Dundee.

Actually the points deduction is the main ramification, so far as I can see. Otherwise, as I understand it, this doesn't make a huge amount of difference. The club itself is up to date on its debts and is technically solvent. It's possible that the creditors of UBIG could demand repayment of the £10m we owe UBIG, but it's unlikely, for the same reason Ukio Bankas' creditors probably won't demand the £15m we owe them - the club doesn't actually have it, but there's a repayment schedule in place.

Of course, if we get relegated, we'll no longer be able to make those payments, and then we will be insolvent. That depends on two things: whether the administration of UBIG goes through today, and whether the SPL then decide to deduct points from Hearts because their owners are insolvent even though the club itself technically is not. The rules say they should, but I would hope for a wee bit of common sense.

We're going about this "making history " thing all wrong :lol:

there are 2 sides to every story ;)

on torres, yeah he's the current holder of euro (double), world cup, champions league and europa league.

when you think of it, though, his teams won the world cup and champions league more despite him playing than because of it ;)

Archived