Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

Another era comes to an end: Thomas Schaaf has left Werder Bremen after more than 40 years at the club. He was in charge of the first team for just about 14 of those years, making him Werder's second longest serving first team coach (only a few weeks less than Otto Rehhagel) and, I think, the third overall in Germany.

No idea who's going to replace, or where he will go.

Looks like Alan Hansen may well be off from Match of the Day after the next World Cup. Really hope this is true. Have had more than enough of his turgid shite over the years. Lets have Shearer off with him as well eh

Looks like Alan Hansen may well be off from Match of the Day after the next World Cup. Really hope this is true. Have had more than enough of his turgid shite over the years. Lets have Shearer off with him as well eh

I think this is a case of 'be careful what you wish for'. Hansen won't be replaced with some bright, incisive new flame: it'll be another of Lineker's golfing pals spouting half-arsed banalities. Robbie Savage, more than likely.

Interesting to see the final pieces coming together in the EPL. Chelsea could still wind up in 5th, which is a decent possibility considering they're playing Everton in their last game. Arsenal have Newcastle, which they should win, and Sunderland won't threaten Spurs much, I'd think.

Chelsea could still wind up in 5th, which is a decent possibility considering they're playing Everton in their last game.

Spurs' goal difference is sixteen less than Chelsea's, how much do you think they're going to beat Sunderland by?

On the other hand it's possible that Chelsea and Arsenal will end up in a play-off situation for 3d place. If Chelsea draw, and Arsenal win by a one-goal margin but scoring two more goals than Chelsea, they'll be level on goal difference, and goals scored/conceded.

Interesting to see the final pieces coming together in the EPL. Chelsea could still wind up in 5th, which is a decent possibility considering they're playing Everton in their last game. Arsenal have Newcastle, which they should win, and Sunderland won't threaten Spurs much, I'd think.

How exactly? Even if we lose to Everton and Spurs win we still have a ridiculous goal difference advantage. Sunderland would have to walk off the field for Tottenham to catch up.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Ha, apparently Mike Ashley wants to bring Rooney to Newcastle. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/15/wayne-rooney-newcastle-united-sports-direct

I was also amused by the fact that Bayern felt the need to tell everyone that they don't want Rooney. The rumor was a bit silly to begin with. I won't be surprised if Rooney stays, if only because PSG seems to be the only realistic target for him. So, if that deal doesn't happen, there's nowhere for him to go. He could always run down his contract further and then have more flexibility on where he goes.

I can't see us winning at Chelsea. We have nothing to play for but glory, whilst Chelsea will be motivated by keeping third and avoiding qualification to next year's CL.

Perhaps if Chelsea become too tired after the EL final, we have a chance, but I wouldn't bet on us.

You guys did play really well in your last game though ( West Ham was it?) I hope that Everton can at least get a draw. Ideally I'd love for us to get 3rd, but I'm still unsure about how we will do at Newcastle. Don't think Sunderland will get anything at WHL.

Another era comes to an end: Thomas Schaaf has left Werder Bremen after more than 40 years at the club. He was in charge of the first team for just about 14 of those years, making him Werder's second longest serving first team coach (only a few weeks less than Otto Rehhagel) and, I think, the third overall in Germany.

No idea who's going to replace, or where he will go.

Ferguson, Moyes and Schaaf all leaving in the same season? Now all we need is Wenger to leave and the longest serving coach in the world will be someone in charge for, what? 3 months?

I think this is a case of 'be careful what you wish for'. Hansen won't be replaced with some bright, incisive new flame: it'll be another of Lineker's golfing pals spouting half-arsed banalities. Robbie Savage, more than likely.

In the 1990s in Ireland the panel discussion for international matches included Liam Brady, John Giles (both dull and conventional, despite being creative, insightful players) and Eamon Dunphy, who was a great source of controversial and uncomfortable opinions (and bitter tirades and personal agendas).

I think every sports panel needs an Eamon Dunphy to balance out the inane yes-men.

The Wikipedia page mentions a few of his more memorable crusades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_Dunphy

We played well agains West Ham, indeed. I believe, though, that some important factors contributed to that - factors which are not present for the Chelsea game

- We still had a theoretical possibility for fifth.

- It was David Moyes' last home game

- We played West Ham (sorry, Inigma). They are not great.

For me personally, I hope we win. Both because I support Everton, but also because of a pool at work where we bet on the final standings for the top six and the bottom three. If Arsenal and Chelsea switch places, I have five out of nine correct, and will win..

Giles, Brady and Dunphy are still RTE's "first team"

Someone who's made a good impression in the past few years is Richard Sadlier (formerly of Millwall). He's usually insightful and notable for admitting to having been given PEDs as a professional football player. http://whatculture.c...in-football.php

Apart from what's been mentioned, the other annoying thing about the BBC is that they had a good analyst in Lee Dixon but they kept Shearer and let Dixon go to ITV. Dixon's reaction at the end is this clip is great

Gary Neville is excellent on Monday Night Football. E.g. On diving:

Wow. I'd be worried about Chelsea's play in the first half but given that this has been our play this past few weeks and we've been winning I can hope that this is some sort of cunning ploy to lure the enemy into complacence before scoring and leaving with a one goal margin.

Archived